All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

One Step Beyond

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Possibly not quite as cliché as Baker Street but still up near the top of the list of songs that absolutely every saxophonist has played at some point ... except me, until today. Having heard it a million times over the last 41 years (I had never heard the original Prince Buster version until this evening - I didn't even know it wasn't an original Madness song), made it rather easier to learn. That and it's also in a very friendly tenor key.

By far the hardest thing about this song is controlling the growl on the low register notes as it's so easy for them to jump octave. The backing was found on YouTube. Its arrangement was pretty close to the Madness version; a little tweaking got it closer still but I couldn't fix the end.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDHSIJrHKX0&feature=youtu.be

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
It reminds me of one of my first visits to the UK. Just around that time!

Chasing a ghost (ex-girlfriend) that was in Switzerland at the time playing nanny to some rich kids!

A good reason as any to discover London and the English culture. Pubs closing times, coffee, etc. Instructive!

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Are you actually allowed to just sit still and play that?
Unfortunately my studio ( ;) ) is far too small to let me stand up. It's become an issue because when I go to a rehearsal or show I'm not used to playing stood up anymore.

Dave E

Great stuff Dave - reminds of my (brief) days in a Ska band. Arguably one of the few toons where growl can /should be used all the way through. My growl on the low notes tended to go unstable and made my tonsils itch for some reason..

markjlewis

As you say there are a ton of players that try this, but although it can appear deceptively easy, the growl and the run down towards end of solo nearly everyone fumbles, but you nailed it. Outstanding job.

Dave E

I started busking about 2 years ago and mix up all sorts of stuff. One step Beyond is in there, but this thread and various punters comments mean that I'm now working up Night Boat to Cairo, Lip up fatty and a few other fun toons..

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom