One for the recording fraternity...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
One for the recording fraternity. Does anyone know a track by Morphine called Free Love (last track on their album 'Yes')? The baritone on this track has a remarkable sound- not just Dana Colley's delivery but it sounds like it's recorded in an unusual way (the whole thing feels as if the listener's got their head stuck down the bell!). If anyone who's clued up on recording techniques & knows this track or can be bothered to Spotify it, I'd be interested in your thoughts on how its done. The solo, about 2 1/2 minutes in ups the ante even further and has an almost overdriven tone to it ( again- obviously part of it's the player's attack but it may even be being routed thorugh a cranked up guitar amp....?).

thomsax

Great song! Mark Sandman was a lot into tech and effects. Colley is just playing bari (not blowing in two saxes) on this recording, Free Love. They did the song live as well and they had roughly the same sound on stage so it must be soundgear that was brought on the the road.

I can't help you that much when it comes to recording and sound effects.

Thomas

OP
Jules

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Great song! Mark Sandman was a lot into tech and effects. Colley is just playing bari (not blowing in two saxes) on this recording, Free Love. They did the song live as well and they had roughly the same sound on stage so it must be soundgear that was brought on the the road.

I can't help you that much when it comes to recording and sound effects.

Thomas
Never heard them do that one live in the many times I saw 'em.... I've got a session recording with Sandy, doing a 'poetry' piece- in a Morphine/Patti Smith vein- about a ship lost in a storm at sea- the sax sound on Free Love seemed ideal for this....

thomsax

I listen to a live recording from Bethlehem, PA and they're doing Free Love on that gig.

Thomas

Top Bottom