All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

One for the astronomers

old git

Tremendous Bore
Will C/2012 S1 ISON be easily visible?
What a silly question just but what should be expected from mods. I have 100% cloud cover, members live in various continents but if you want to borrow an 8 inch dob or my 5 inch frac, just pm me but I refuse to show off by putting them in my avatar.

Young Col

If like me others have only a small 4in Newtonian then we'll have to wait until next Summer. I may even then have to wait until the Autumn because of the light skies with the proximity to London, by which time reports suggest that it should be visible with binoculars or unassisted eyes.

spike

Old Indian
It's still an unknown quantity as it's still an awful long way off and hasn't been seen before. Optimistic predictions reckon it'll be visible in daylight after it loops the sun in late November 2013. But it'll be at least another year before more accurate data becomes available.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
It's still an unknown quantity as it's still an awful long way off and hasn't been seen before. Optimistic predictions reckon it'll be visible in daylight after it loops the sun in late November 2013.
That's what I was hoping. After all the hype about Halley, Kohoutec et al, I would really like to see something really bright and savour what Halley must have been like a few hundred years ago.

spike

Old Indian
There's another one due in March next year called C/2011 L4, it won't pass as close (15 million miles) to the sun as ISON but it could also be a good show if it contains enough ice & snow. One of the problems is knowing just how much ice these renegades (one timers) are made up of. In the case of ISON it's predicted to pass within about 2 million miles of the sun, which is very close for a comet and it could even fall apart in which case we won't see anything from our earthbound vantage point. But here's hoping, I'm checking out eBay for good deals on Frankincense and Myrrh, and keeping a watch out for a good camel. Christmas 2013 could be interesting. No further comment due to Forum restrictions and my respect for members of religious communities.
Space is the place - gruss - spike

navarro

If like me others have only a small 4in Newtonian then we'll have to wait until next Summer. I may even then have to wait until the Autumn because of the light skies with the proximity to London, by which time reports suggest that it should be visible with binoculars or unassisted eyes.
Can I use a pair of discarded contact lenses (hard variety) inserted into two glued together smartie tubes. >:) Regds N. Sorry chaps I do not mean to be frivolous about sightings and please remember I am a failed stand up. N

Last edited by a moderator:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Can I use a pair of discarded contact lenses (hard variety) inserted into two glued together smartie tubes. >:) Regds N. Sorry chaps I do not mean to be frivolous about sightings and please remember I am a failed stand up. N
Remember this is the country of opportunities: you don't really have to be able to do something, to do it. Think of plumbers...
(joke stolen from Henning Wehn)

navarro

Remember this is the country of opportunities: you don't really have to be able to do something, to do it. Think of plumbers...
(joke stolen from Henning Wehn)
Like it aldevis I always thought German comedians were an acquired taste. Perhaps because my German vocabulary is limited to ` A weineschnitzel bitte.` Best Regds. N.
[h=3]a weineschnitzel bitte[/h]

old git

Tremendous Bore
If it was good enough for Galileo Galilei, why not for Navarro? On the other hand, you could convert your magnifying shaving mirror into a Newtonian.

Of course if you have the same mathematics skills as Dmitri Maksutov and the glass working skills of member Andy Sanders, you could produce a compound, not however the same as that broadcast by the Scaffold.

Hal the Elder

A Shaving Mirror has an extremely fast Focal Ratio (F number), which means the telescope would only be about twice as long as the mirror diameter.

Also, the shaving mirror has a very crude optical surface, far from the accuracy of a 1/20-wave, 1/10-wave, or even a 1/4-wave surface figure, which is the absolute minimum for astronomy-related optics.

HAL

navarro

If it was good enough for Galileo Galilei, why not for Navarro? On the other hand, you could convert your magnifying shaving mirror into a Newtonian.

Of course if you have the same mathematics skills as Dmitri Maksutov and the glass working skills of member
Andy Sanders, you could produce a compound, not however the same as that broadcast by the Scaffold..
You know oldgit I am not alone in the galaxy there are millions of failed standups who have produced some amazing material within this forum. However I must award myself a Noscar for being the most failed of failed standups. But first my award thank you speech " I would like to thank the bloke in the next allotement to me, for his encouragement and showing me how to grow green, red cabbage. My Stepfather for listening to my jokes ( Found out later he used to turn his hearing aid off at my approach.) I can`t go on I`m overwhelmed. >:) N.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Navarro, you and others might be better sticking with the Scaffold's Medical Compound >:)

jonf

Have you been drinking it? I think you mean Medicinal Compound.......

milandro

Will C/2012 S1 ISON be easily visible?
It will be best visible, for the Boreal dwellers, next year 2013 around December 25th, the best place to observe it will be at lat. N 32° 44' 8.9999” long. E 35° 11' 26.0002”.

Some learned people around the world, at least three, will follow its path, but no doubt that they will find themselves, given the location where they will be heading, to observe the phenomenon, having to share the prime spot with much less, although interested all the same, educated people which normally engage in simple agricultural and pastoral activities.

I would suggest them to carry some samples of Aurum, Boswellia sacra and Commiphora myrrha, as a gift to the local population, the sovereign of whom (and his close family) has been said by some commentators, will make an appearance or ἐπιφάνεια on the spot.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Navarro,

Don't worry about Hal's criticism of your shaving mirror as the basis of a Newtonian telescope, he has forgotten that in USA terms, the UK is Third World. The greatest accuracy available to poor saps like us is Orion UK's 1/10PV. Of course one might wonder about the specifications of Newton's mirror and Galileo's lenses. Admittedly just supposition but as most Newton portraits following his telescope experiments show him fully bearded, the question is why? The answer is up to you.

Jon,
Following my head wound in the Charge of the Light Brigade, recollection of Victoria's reign is sketchy until her World Sprint title in 2005. >:)

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom