All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

oldish new member

flamingoer

Morning all,

(The Flamingo in leicester square was where I first heard live jazz - harriott, whittle, seaman etc.)

After years of listening - bostic, gardner, konitz, dolphy desmond etc.,- I took the plunge and at 68 got a Yam 275 alto to try and learn to read and understand the music. Four years later, still trying but it has been a lot of fun.

Am now in danger of developing a bad case of G.A.S.and thinking of upgrading my perfectly adequate yamaha for the siren call of B&W M2 - I see there's just been a 10% hoik in the price but perhaps the new, less eyecatching version maybe cheaper. I'm also taken by the PM 'Le Bravo' and the Hanson SA 8. Maybe I should wait a few years....maybe not.

Good to be here.

Saxlicker

Hi Flamingoer,
Welcome to the cafe.
I think the yamaha is perfectly adequate too.
I find it hard to understand a siren call for the horns you mention assuming yours is in good order.
Nothing against the other brands or models but I don't think it's like swapping a lada for a porche that's all.
And good luck if you do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Col

Welcome to the caf!
I can tell you that Tommy Whittle is still going strong at 80, having seen him live just a couple of weeks ago (I did a write up on here). He's got a new CD coming out too.
It's never too late.
YC

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff, flamingoer. Does your user name suggest arsonist tendencies?

ENJOY!

Andante cantabile

The YAS275 in good working order is clearly a very good instrument. From that perspective there is probably no need for you to change to something else.

OTOH, the BW M2 comes with a very good reputation also, and, as far as new instruments go, it is generally affordable. I take it that you are looking at an alto also. Of course, I don't know what your financial circumstances are.

I now have two tenors, but in truth I only need one. So you might say that one of them was a waste of money. I don't think so at all. Having the two has really opened my ears to different sounds. I certainly have no intention of selling either one.

I think the situation would be different if you were thinking of getting either a tenor or perhaps a baritone. It is easy to underestimate the the challenge of learning two different-sized instruments at the same time. Again, I don't know how far you have advanced in your learning. If you are playing securely, then these comments may not be applicable.

Whatever you do, continue to enjoy playing the saxophone.

flamingoer

Thank you for such thoughtful observations.

Yes, the yamaha is playing well (anyway, as well as I'll allow it), and I have already
succumbed to a BW soprano so I appreciate the extra response another, different, instrument can give.

To exorcise this GAS dilemma I think I need to convince myself that my playing, or musical understanding
can improve with a new sax.

I probably just need even more practice.

Thanks again folks.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to the cafe. Go with what ever you want. I know yam's are good so maybe you could hang on to that and get the BW as a second.
I'm certainly not going to try and stop you as I'm no shining example of what to buy and what not to!

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Welcome to the Cafe Flamingoer :) Best of luck with your practicing and enjoy the forum!

Sunray

Wotcha Cock ... [grin]

Hey Hey mate ...

Good to see you here ... *Big wave from Norfolk*

I was naughty ... I bought a two Yanagisawa's [an alto 992 and a beautiful 9932J tenor] and I am in love ... [we are a threesome] lol

I am a just a little younger than you at 63 [I'm a total beginner to music and Saxophone]

I am a great believer in going for it ... So if you want to - then treat yourself ... why not mate ... ;}

Whatever you decide - have loads of fun mate ... Cheers ...

flamingoer

Hi Flamingoer,
Welcome to the cafe.
I think the yamaha is perfectly adequate too.
I find it hard to understand a siren call for the horns you mention assuming yours is in good order.
Nothing against the other brands or models but I don't think it's like swapping a lada for a porche that's all.
And good luck if you do.
Thanks for all the good advice but in spite of it all I've just gone and ordered the B&W M-2 gold lacquer - cheaper than the cheerful silver one.

Of course I might just have bought myself a Skoda! Time will tell.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Skoda, like Seat, is owned by VW. About the only difference between Skodas, Seats and VWs is the cosmetic stuff.

BW seem to have a good reputation here, so you should be OK. I think Pete's playing some, should be a good enough recommendation.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom