All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Old Yorkshire git on the Oil 'o Woight

Jonners

'Ey up all(hope that doesn't break the rule about proper spelling and grammar).

Been lurking around for a bit and learned so much that I though it high time to get a bit more involved with the forum.

Messing about with the sax and flute for years and not really making much progress - everyone very sick of the Pink Panther theme. Anyway since retiring from the good old NHS I have a lot more time and really putting in some effort with the old scales, chords, arpeggios, long tones etc and wish I'd done it years ago. Really really in love with the sax.

Traded in the old Corton tenor (got the same £250 that I paid for it) and bought a Mauriat 66UL which is just the bees knees - even my teacher says it's the next best thing to his Mark VI. Then, a few weeks ago splashed out on a 10 year old Yani 992 - talk about all the gear and no idea - but it is simply wonderful and makes this old man very happy! I just figured that a couple of grand I had saved up wasn't doing much in the building society so might as well put it to work. Also picked up an old YAS 23 for the same reason - what a lot of joy for not a lot of money!

Well I'm doing some locum work in Ireland at the moment and staying in a B&B which is giving me lots of ppp practice (stood on the shower cubicle with a towel stuffed up the bell).

I'd really like to play in a big band someday but that seems a long way off at my present rate of progress.

Anyway nice to be part of the community here.

Cheers
Ian

Filton

Ey Up back to your good self from just across the other side of the Fishbourne ferry (and inland just a trifle) - I am fairly new here myself too but there is a whole host of valuable information to be found here.

Sounds like you have set yourself up with some good kit so crack on and enjoy the journey !

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Welcome from another 'estranged' Yorkie (or should that just be strange?!) - living in NE Scotland.
Enjoy the banter and the huge resource of experience.
Cheers,

Amanda

Taz

Busking Oracle
Not a Yorkie here, but I got roots up there! Welcome to the cafe, umm, I hope your not naked in the shower with that sax, not unless you warmed it up abit first!!!

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Ow do Jonners, what what what.
How come all you tykes have bogged off. Is it something we've said?
Have you tried playing all three at the same time yet? You know you want to.
From a proper Yorkshireman from Ilkla. By eck.

Sunray

Hey Hey Jonners ... *Big Wave*

'Ey up all

Polite snip ---- 8< ---- [And a bit of licence]

...... Messing about with the sax and flute for years

...... stood on the shower cubicle with a towel stuffed up the bell).

...... I'd really like to play in a big band someday but

Don't be daft ...

You'll never get a big band in the shower all at once ... ;}

Well not with their instruments as well anyway ... :)))

Welcome to the Cafe Ian ...

johnboy

Ho La, Buenas Dia, de Espania (that's the sum total of my Spanish!!).

Welcome aboard Ian, dive in and enjoy the fun.

John.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi there Jonners from the enemy that used to be Lancashire I haven't worked out if GREATER MANCHESTER is still part of LANCASHIRE or if that part suddenly ceased to exist. What I find upsetting is when you drive towards Blackburn you go past a sign that says WELCOME TO LANCASHIRE when I thought I'd never left in the first place.You don't have a GREATER LEEDS situation over there do you. Anyway enough of this and welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the ride...john;}

Jonners

Well thanks for the warm welcome lads and lasses. What a great international group and so many exiled tykes!

Andrew - Now then -we were nearly neighbours -at least if you were around when I used to frequent the Cow and Calf disco in the early 60s - anyone remember the ultra cool disco UV lighting of those days?- great until you realised all the various bits that fluoresced - in my case the two front teeth that I knocked out falling off my motorbike...it really reduced my success rate in the romance dept. Dandruff also showed up with a rather startling brilliance - crikey life was hard in those days!

Taz -WRT getting my kit off in the shower with the sax - I don't ever remove my liberty boddice until early April.

Filton - if the wind is in the SE and you hear the gentle sterains of the Pink Panther - that's me - so get on the ferry, follow the racket and drop in for a brew.

John - indeed no issues with greater or lesser Leeds although various bureaucrats over the years have moved and renamed many ancient boundary markings. Isn't it great what these characters will do to massage the voting pattern.

Nice to see that there are a few other - ahem- mature people hear as well.

Anyway thanks to all for you kind greetings

Cheers
Ian

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Andrew - Now then -we were nearly neighbours -at least if you were around when I used to frequent the Cow and Calf disco in the early 60s - anyone remember the ultra cool disco UV lighting of those days?-

I've only been in Ilkley since 1981, still an off cummed un. Were you one of the lucky ones to see Hendrix at the Craiglands Hotel?

Justin Chune

Hi Ian and welcome to the cafe. Are they all altos, or did you mix them up? I play tested a YAS23 for a friend once, and I didn't want to put it down. They are great saxophones.

Jim.

Young Col

Welcome to the cafe Ian. Join the club of addicted late beginners.
As for maturity, well yes, in age, but as for mindset.....

Now, with Kev talking about sax in the shower, are we sure that nice Mr Thomas was right in making him a moderator? (see what I mean about mature thoughts...)
YC

Jonners

Hi Jim - thanks for the welcome. Only the Yamaha is alto - I bought it from ebay without testing but on the basis of reviews both here and Stepehn's site. I was so impressed both by the build quality and condition - but most of all with the terrific sound. It had been played in a jazz big band but very well looked after - probably could have got it a bit cheaper but in fact worth every penny of the £450 or so that I paid for it. ebay is such a gamble but I really enjoy browsing - always the possibility that you might find the bargain of a lifetime.
Al the best
Ian

Jonners

Hi YC - it's a well known fact that we are each of us only 27years old in our heads- then you look in the mirror..!!!! aaargh
I found a rather nice card for an ageing friend once - it read:

'Nothing right in my left brain, nothing left in my right brain'

Just about sums it up.
Cheers
Ian

Top Bottom