All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Old timer newbie

malamute1

Hello all,

I have just purchase a 1923 Conn New Wonder C- mel sax. The last time I played (slightly) was 23 years ago. I had a Selmer bundy II back then which was playable but the sound was somewhat dull, also the action was heavy for want of another word, but perhaps it was just me, lol.

So here I am, back with a bang, learning from the very start once again. I am hoping it wil be easier this time around as back then I did not have any online tools/resources available.

My user name is due to my love of Alaskan Malamutes.

love Mal

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi and a big welcome from me. Enjoy the Conn. At least you won't have to worry about transposition.

johnboy

HI Mel, welcome to the madhouse. I'm in Spain and have just consumed loads of booze (it's taken me 10 minutes to get this far).
I'm an old timer who packed up in '65 and started again three or four years ago, can't remember exactly. Dive in and enjoy the fun!!

John :);}

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Mal. Better to return now than never return at all!

Welcome to the cafe.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Mal

Glad you found your way back to the sax hope you manage to keep at it this time

Haven't a clue what an ALASKAN MARMUTE is unless they are those little rodent type creatures I remember seeing in a film once

All the best ...John

Filton

Hi Mal and welcome.

There is a great atmosphere here and a LOT of great knowledge and information :)

Mals - lovely dogs but a little too small for me . . . . I am a Leonberger man myself (we have 2 currently) :D

trimmy

One day i will...
Hi Mal

Welcome to the Cafe :) you will fit in nicely, plenty of codgers here ;}

HI Mel
I'm an old timer who packed up in '65 and started again three or four years ago, can't remember exactly.
John will remember how long when he's sober, !! and that you are a Mal ? :thumb:
:)))

TomMapfumo

Hi Mal

Glad you found your way back to the sax hope you manage to keep at it this time

Haven't a clue what an ALASKAN MARMUTE is unless they are those little rodent type creatures I remember seeing in a film once

All the best ...John
Alaskan Malamutes are a husky type dog, generally a bit bigger and have a very quiet and loyal personality - a grander beast overall.
I know about three of them - very nice personalities!

johnboy

You learn something every day don't you.sorry I got the spelling wrong did'll I
Woops,
Nah, it weren't you John, it were me. Sorry Mal! I've just sobered up enough to see my mistake.
#Thanks troimmy for pointing it out (I've left it just as I typed it).
Now where's thaqt bottle of caramel vodka?

malamute1

Hi there folk,

thanks very much for the warm welcome,

Would anyone care to offer some advice on what I should be doing with regards to learning all over again?

I am looking for some kind of structure but please note that I do not read music neither do I understand music theory. Last time around I was akin to 'play the track, find the notes and then practise' I am aware that this type of approach has inherent problems, namely that I could not always find all the notes in a piece (if that makes sense)

So at the moment my plan is this;

Play long notes naming the note as I play them (using thechromatic scale)
Practise the 12 step scale program, learn one key in onescale and keep practising it before moving onto another scale using the samekey, naming each note as it is played,try to remember the intervals between every note.

Listen to some music and noodle around.

How does that sound?

thanks Mal

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Mal.

C Melody and vintage? Surely that's a con job?

ENJOY!​™

Rogerb

Welcome from another old (musically) illiterate!
I described learning to play and read simultaneously as like learning Japanese with a phrase-book, while working in a Tokyo restaurant :)

Top Bottom