Old Films

tom9437

Hi all i have just seen the film The Charlie Parker Story well i have seen it at least 10 times. Does anyone know if there is any other sax related films maybe coltrane story ect thanks tom

OP
T

tom9437

Oh Nik your in for a treat honest its fantastic[let me know when you have watched it. Oh and pete is the a film dexter gordon????? thank you. Tom.

Moz

Hi all i have just seen the film The Charlie Parker Story well i have seen it at least 10 times. Does anyone know if there is any other sax related films maybe coltrane story ect thanks tom
Not specific to sax but there are plenty in it -- The Cotton Club. A gangster story with lots of jazz.

Martin

Saxlicker

There is a thread similar to this on SOTW.

I picked up 'The TIC Code' from it.

A nice heart warming story where a Sax player is idolised by a young piano player with tourette syndrome. A reasonable amount of playing in it.

visionari1

I would recommend "Round Midnight" with Dexter Gordon, it's superb, really comes across the hard life, & the shots of him playing could not be dubbed.
Virtually like sitting next to him while he poured his soul into the Sax.

"Bird" the Clint Eastwood movie I bought on DVD, ho hum I thought.

Ciao
Jimu:mrcool

Semiquaver

I've been lent a copy of 'Bird' (Clint Eastwood directs) - but haven't had chance to watch it yet...

Nick
I hate this film. It is far too long. I fell asleep half way through woke up an hour later and still had half an hour to go.

Clint Eastwood is a good director but I think he just did not know when to finish this story.

Fo a great music biopic try 'Ray'.

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Another vote for Round Midnight :welldone Fabulous film, and in addition to Dexter Gordon, there are live performances by Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard, Bobby Hutcherson, John McLaughlin, Wayne Shorter, Pierre Michelot, Eric Le Lann and Lonette McKee. I still have the soundtrack album (yes, vinyl) and still love the haunting cover of "How Long Has This Been Going On".

berniesax

"the honey dripper"

and don't forget the honey dripper starring danny glover and featuring eddie "wolfpack"shaw on tenor sax
a late model buescher aristocrat i might add
very good

berniesax

honeydripper "coincidence"

yes honeydripper "film" is on tv tonite saturday on bbc2 at 2.30am
well worth a watch just for the frying pan guitar ! and not forgetting eddie"wolfpack"shaw and danny glover
cheers

Top Bottom