support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Old Boosey Alto - No markings?

Rob345

Hi.
Ive only just signed up to this forum so forgive me if I make any errors. I've been playing a tenor YTS 275 for a year and although not great, really enjoy it! Just for the fun of stripping an old model down and possibly re-padding with shellac I bought a cheap silver alto in an old leather box with the label Boosey and Co, London. It looks 1930 ish. The sax has cleaned up quite nicely but the only markings I can find on it are the letters Y and A stamped on the right hand thumb support (see picture). I cant find any dreaded # or h or hoped for L marks nor anything on the Bell. Some of the key work looked similar to the thread 'Boosey & Co LTD Tenor Saxophone -Most unusual....' Any suggestions what it might be and from when most welcome. Its been well used. Thank you..! If the images dont work Ill try adding them in after!

Attachments

• IMG_20170312_155739.jpg
    IMG_20170312_155739.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20170312_155651.jpg
    IMG_20170312_155651.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20170312_155646.jpg
    IMG_20170312_155646.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_20170312_155640.jpg
    IMG_20170312_155640.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Hi, it will be pre-1930, which was the year Boosey merged with Hawkes to make Boosey and Hawkes. Your sax was probably made in England - Boosey made instruments from about 1868 onwards. I think you need to get a note which blows and check it against a tuner to be certain of the pitch. Then, on with the fun!

The lack of rollers on the lh table and I'd guess the rh table as well would make me think twenties or earlier. Does it have one or two octave keys? Looks as if it's only keyed to low B as well.

More pics please.

On the tuning side, tune something like A with a tuner, then check the whole scale. But if it goes progressively out of tune the deeper you play, then a good chance it's high pitch.

HI, I'm trying to find out more about a Hawkes model from the 20's. There seems to be surprisingly little information available about Boosey or Hawkes instruments before the merger.

Does it look like this one?
Photo Gallery :: SaxPics.com

A picture of the little finger keys for the right hand might help.
Also a picture of the tops of the main keys.

Thanks for taking a look. Ill put some more mics on tomorrow but it doesnt have any rollers on either table. I believe it has two octave keys.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, two octave key levers by the thumb rest or one?

Yep, it's got two octave keys.

It'll be very early 1920s or thereabout, perhaps earlier - keyed down to low B only. Most likely high pitched.
By the mid 20s Boosey were turning out low pitch horns in what we'd now consider to be the modern design.
It's a shame it's such an old one - the later low-pitch horns are really rather good blowers.

hello mel and everyone - i just got a boosey regent alto with a number that suggests 1928 as the date of manufacture. it proudly states 'british throughout' and has an empire patent. very like mel's tenor i think - also marked lp and with black inserts instead of pearls. has a weird fingering system which i probably cannot explain.... the low d when depressed alone (like so many of us) opens the high d key at the top of the neck. this is probably highly useful.... probably. anyway, it's in great condition, has a gold-washed bell, rolled toneholes and plays a bit like my fx huller. my first english sax!

Hi.
Ive only just signed up to this forum so forgive me if I make any errors. I've been playing a tenor YTS 275 for a year and although not great, really enjoy it! Just for the fun of stripping an old model down and possibly re-padding with shellac I bought a cheap silver alto in an old leather box with the label Boosey and Co, London. It looks 1930 ish. The sax has cleaned up quite nicely but the only markings I can find on it are the letters Y and A stamped on the right hand thumb support (see picture). I cant find any dreaded # or h or hoped for L marks nor anything on the Bell. Some of the key work looked similar to the thread 'Boosey & Co LTD Tenor Saxophone -Most unusual....' Any suggestions what it might be and from when most welcome. Its been well used. Thank you..! If the images dont work Ill try adding them in after!
I've never had the pleasure but I have always wanted try one of the old Hawkes & Co horns, I hope you enjoy it

you do see a few hawkes and sons 'XX century' saxes around and they're not usually expensive, but i have never played one either. this boosey & co alto is really rather interesting - plays well with a lawton on, seems in good tune and has various other peculiarities in the keywork which i am still trying to fathom out - mostly to do with the palm keys which don't work like a standard sax.

Back
Top Bottom