All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

OK! I got the YAS23.....but...

sandelman

Well, I went and picked up the sax that I was asking for ideas about earlier. I've got some questions .....like one of the large notes on the lower end.....there is a slight dent where the pad seals.

The cork came off in my mouthpiece when I pulled it off. Can I super glue it?

It looks a little rough but I actually like the look of the old faded sax's instead of the nice bright shinny ones.

This sax has a tiny tiny ding on the outter lip of the bell or opening. I don't think that's anything more than cosmetic...you?

On the bottom of the sax there is a dent.....I think the one I had when I was a kid has something similar. Probably from not paying attention and letting it hit something. I think this one is cosmetic too but if anyone has answers that may help me understand differently,,,please share.

How would I attempt to clean this sax up a bit? It has a fair amount of dust.....should I just leave it?

It's got its fair share of blemishes.

I took a small flashlight and looked inside to but really didn't notice anything that I seen as a problem except for that small dent that I mentioned in the beginning.

It looks like it could use 2-3 pads but I put some air through it and it actually sounded better that the turd for sure. ( the turd was refferenced in my first post incase you read this and are lost )

Should I use some compressed air at a distance to remove the dust?

What would be recommended to clean the dust from the pads?

As best as I could tell everything is solid and mounted well. No bent springs, nothing loose, nothing appears to be broken at all......it just looks like a youth had it and took care of it like a youth would do.

I'd like to believe that there is some life in it and that I will be able to learn on it better than the turd. :)

I would like to know if we can post pics anywhere on this forum? If not....is there anyone who I could send some pics to that could advise what their thoughts would be?

Oh....she wanted $300 USD. I offered $250 on the phone sight unseen and she said $275. I gave her $200 USD and took it home. I would leave a smiley but don't know if you folks would agree.....so share your thoughts please.

Sandelman

sandelman

I've read about cleaning the pads with lighter fluid and q-tips so I've been doing that. I can say that it plays better and has better tone than the turd does. It's easier to hit the lows and with less effort. And that dent in the botom is really just more of a ding. I wish I had someone to take it to who I felt wouldn't try to rob me.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Once you get it sorted you will have a fine sax,the yas23's are giant killers,they can do all your needs.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
If the dust is outside, a soft cloth will do wonders. Don't worry too much about appearances - many players prive the battered looks. The ding by a tonehole could be a problem - if it's causing the pad to leak. Then the only answer is a visit to the tech. Have fun!

Mikec

Have a look at www.shwoodwind.co.uk, there is lots of really good advice on cleaning etc., and Yamahas.

sandelman

Thanks everyone :) I must not have this forum set up so I receive instant emails when someone posts a comment. Is that something I can do on this forum and if so just a quick note to tell me how would be great. I just told my wife that this is a nice forum with nice an helpful people. I belong to a forum for the motor coach I own ( foretravel ) and they are the best group I've experienced. You guys are right up therte with them. I have been messing around with my new ( to me ) yas23 and I can see it needs some adjusting so it'll be going in soon. I have fixed a couple things with a bit of common sense ( which for the most part is NOT common )
I've noticed that on a couple notes, the octave thing on the neck sticks and when it's not supposed to b open for a specific note...it hangs up for a second and then closes.I'm sure that a tech will fix that though. I have also looked as well as I can and don't see any reason for ALL new pads. Maybe 4-6 though. I'm looking for the least for what's needed right now.
I have the other sights on my drop down list now and will be looking into them soon. I clean chimney's for a living and now is GO TIME, so I have to fit the fun into the work schedule for another couple months. Before I go...this may sound stupid, but I hope not. Is there any info on this forum or site that would be helpful for learning more about picking up some pointers fo playing by ear?
I'm not reading music as of now like I did in my youth but have been having fun listening to cd's and stopping to see if I can find the notes. I am CERTAINLY open to any info that anyone can share so I can "teach" myself what ever I can instead of taking a class or having a teacher. Don't misunderstand...I'm not against a teacher...it simply won't work with my life at the moment. Sorry to blab, I haven't talked to anyone for most of the day AND am really ecxcited about this new forum and my new ( old ) sax. BTW, I got an email back from Yamaha about the age of my unit and it was built in 1993 so it's 17 years old :)

Andante cantabile

Learning to read music at the saxophone beginner's level is not all that hard. Any tutor book will get you under way. You will need to understand the concept of key signatures and accidentals (and that they apply to the entire bar unless they are cancelled). Most books aim to keep things easy for as long as they can. Eventually things become more complicated, but by that time you also have worked out how to deal with complications. If you could get a couple of theory lessons, or perhaps a theory manual (any music shop will stock a suitable item), you'd make matters easier for yourself.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
If you want to play by ear, download a fingering chart and play chromatic scales. This teaches you the sequence of all notes on the sax. Then start playing seconds, thirds, fourths and so on from each note that you know. With that, given a starting note, you'll soon hear the intervals in the music and know where to go from your starting note.

Remember also that saxes play in a different pitch, mostly EB and Bb. Tenor are in Bb, Altos in Eb. Same concept for many other instruments, e.g. trumpet. Music for saxes is thus transposed from the true or Concert pitch. So a C on a fingering chart will give you a Bb on a tenor and Eb on an alto.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Thanks everyone :) I must not have this forum set up so I receive instant emails when someone posts a comment. Is that something I can do on this forum and if so just a quick note to tell me how would be great.

It's under settings 9at the top of the page) then general settings > Instant email notification.

However by default this is on when you join the forum (I just checked and your is set correctly) so you should get instant email when someone comments in a thread in which you started or have made comments or have manually subscribed to.

Top Bottom