All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Oh the British weather!

Saxlicker

Just took in a parcel from mr postman in glorious sunshine and extraordinarily mild temps.
He pointed out that that this time last year i wouldnt have got the parcel because we had 3" of snow even down here in costa del Hampshire.

Ironic that the parcel was a thick winter coat :rolleyes:

Sunray

Cor ...

Its bloomin lovely here in "Sunny Norfolk" as well ...

I have just got great news today of an imminent delivery ... :thumb:

My Brand New "Replacement" Yanagisawa T9932J Sax has arrived from Japan :w00t:

View attachment 1109
[Click Me]

Yubby Dubby Doooo ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunray

Replacement?
Here's what happened:

The lacquer had failed in numerous places [half a dozen or so] on my Tenor and on some of the palm keys of my Alto ... :(

Note: I have had the two sax's for less than a year when the problem arose so I asked they be repaired/replaced under warranty ...

The lacquer hadn't peeled off and I don't believe it had worn away [as I am a n00b they don't get what some might call excessive use] ;}

It seems to me that "either the lacquering process" or "the type of lacquer used" is not producing the expected long term finish that you would expect from such a high precision top quality instrument manufacturer ...

Note: Both acrylic and cellulose lacquers are used by different manufacturers ... [maybe some other kinds of lacquer as well - I don't know] ...

I have had side keys replaced on my Yanagisawa 992 Alto by Sax.co.uk which had a problem on inner areas of the side keys which are rarely touched. Whereas areas that are in constant contact with the fingers were totally unaffected ...

Although I had to drive from Norfolk to Crowborough twice to get the replacement keys fitted [due to the wrong ones being sent the first time - [Which was not Sax.co.uk's fault] :(

Many thanks to Jim Cheek, Colin and Amy for sorting this out for me ... :welldone

------------

On my Yanagisawa T9923J the problem was more widespread ...

Jonathan Myall in Croydon was very helpful and on seeing the instrument he organised for my Tenor to be returned to the factory in Japan [under warranty] ...

The replacement has arrived, has been set-up for me and awaits collection ... :w00t:

I would like to make the point that Jonathan Myall and his staff [Justflutes.com] have been really supportive in resolving this issue for me ... Thanks Guys :clapping:

------------

It has been a difficult process to get these things sorted - due to the attitude [sometimes argued] that we all have different oils, chemicals etc. in our bodily make-up and this affects the lacquer in different ways for different individuals.

It is intimated these oils/chemicals etc. which have caused the problem ... I am rather sceptical about this opinion as the laquer would fail only in places which are regularly exposed which is not the case.

Also it seems that I am the only person [So I was told] who is interested in keeping my sax's in "Tip Top" condition and everyone else couldn't care a fig if their lacquer "comes off."
------------

Thankfully - Yanagisawa, Sax.co.uk and Jonathan Myall have all done what it takes to retain me as a satisfied customer and I would certainly recommend all of them [and will continue to purchase from them myself] to any prospective purchaser ...

I guess I will have to buy some nice silky gloves - so that my oily, greasy slimy fingers don't touch the lacquer any more when I play my nice shiny sax's ... :)))

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
So we have it on good authority that it's you..... >:)

Seriously, this shouldn't be happening, and it's good (not to say expected) that better dealers are helping and that Yani have agreed to replace. :thumb:

I believe some makers are using an epoxy lacquer that should outlast traditional finishes.

Young Col

You beat me to that one Kev, re Juju and forensics!

Glad it's being sorted Sunray. I was in JMs earlier this week and helpful as ever. What really annoyed me is that it costs $1.10 just to park outside for half an hour. Would have used my Freedom Pass but public transport would have taken so much longer and I really didn't have the time to spare.

Re the weather, gone chilllier here now, but was surprisied to hear over the weekend that Heathrow and Gatwick (among others) had been affected by fog. I'm about 20-25 miles from each as the crow flies and it was gloriously sunny all weekend. But then we are 450ft asl here and must have been above the fog. We don't get flooded either!
YC

Saxade

Re the weather, gone chilllier here now, but was surprisied to hear over the weekend that Heathrow and Gatwick (among others) had been affected by fog. I'm about 20-25 miles from each as the crow flies and it was gloriously sunny all weekend. But then we are 450ft asl here and must have been above the fog. We don't get flooded either!
YC
Here in Western Australia we are still in Spring .. and we have lost or seriously damaged 20 homes in a bushfire down south in Margaret River.... Not Even summer yet... Scary
:w00t:

visionari1

Unusually windy in NZ though a wet spring has been bountiful, with grass growth incredible, and am escaping the ride on & heading west to Perth.

--
Cheers & ciao
Jimu

"Together We Create Beauty"

Saxlicker

Here's what happened:
Ah....Hi Rusty :thumb:
Thanks for the explanation and your consequent actions.

It's nice to know you got a result. Some truth there maybe about peoples differing acidic perspiration e.t.c. but for instruments so new I don't think there is any get out.

TomMapfumo

Thankfully my System 54 Unlacquered Tenor Sax has not yet developed any random patches of lacquer, and cleaning it with Carwax has worked out well - I am anxious to keep it looking its worst!

Glad it has gradually worked out for you, Sunners!

Had a lovely walk on Three Cliffs Bay and surrounding cliffs with my Pointer - Tiersen, in sunny, windy weather which eventually changed to a rain/wind combo which made Lundy Island more difficult to see. Wouldn't swap British weather for the world!

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom