All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Saxophones Odd...

DavidUK

Subscriber
What do you suppose happened here?:

I can't imagine.

I think the ad's description explains in intricate detail what it is you're getting:

"Yamaha Tenor Yts-23 made in Japan
the sax have great tone was one owner and he is sax teacher he sold it because his over 70 years
no dents on it just the bruise colors i,m writing bruise but it,s of lacquer
have new mouthpiece and soft hard case ready to playable
and i believe the sax is first generation of yts-23 great one for student
Dispatched with Royal Mail 2nd Class.

many Thanks"

Ad here: Yamaha Tenor Yts-23 made in Japan | eBay

Don't bother to look at his other items...

o_O

DavidUK

Subscriber
A few spots of corrosion appeared in the engraving. Dremel or similar used to remove it, took the lacquer away in the process. Over time the de-lacquered brass has tarnished so is now a lot darker.
But the letters don't line up. They're all over the place. :confused2:

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
So it's either a counterfeit or a drunk engraver.

EDIT: well no, presumably it's a stamp. So I'd susepct it's not a Yamaha.

Or the purple logo wore off and the owner decided to make a more robust version.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Probably an optical illusion - you'd need a photo taken square on with a polarising filter to remove reflections to be certain. I suspect some sort of aggressive cleaning procedure that's gone awry....

thomsax

If think it's ok. Make it a black logo. Gently heat kiwi black shoe polish and apply it over the logo and letter. let it dry. Wipe off.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
A few spots of corrosion appeared in the engraving. Dremel or similar used to remove it, took the lacquer away in the process. Over time the de-lacquered brass has tarnished so is now a lot darker.
I don't think so. It's just an optical illusion. It's the scrubbing of the lacquer that's causing it...
I choose B.

No Dremel was necessary.

The engraving is engraved after the horn is lacqued. So what happens fairly often is, as the engraving itself is actually bare brass, the brass patinas or reds.

The owner didn't like the way that looked, so they would polish it using a fairly aggressive paste...maybe Noxon or Brasso. As they did that over the years, it actually ate the lacq away.

Simple solution (if the looks irk you): just keep polishing that area once in a while back to bare brass (but don't use Noxon or Brasso...use something like Maas or Wenol, significantly gentler they will likely not result in further lacq loss....or use a Blitz polishing cloth to get same result.

(It's possible a letter in the name was engraved a bit cockeyed, or perhaps the stamp (if a stamp) was applied twice....but I think as others have noted, that impression is exacerbated by the irregular patchiness of the lacquer loss).

Top Bottom