support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Odd People and their Habits

daveysaxboy

Account Closed
Posts here split out from another thread by request from Rhys (post 15). Kev

A professional trombonist friend of mine and a very good amateur both have tye pbone and love it. I heard it in person for the first time last week and am very impressed. Quite tempted too !

Rhys

Still waiting to hear how many sax's you own and how many mps,come on let me know.A trombone now !!!!!!!!!!!! i've had thoughts myself for a dabble.

Re: Plastic Trombones?

Still waiting to hear how many sax's you own and how many mps,come on let me know.A trombone now !!!!!!!!!!!! i've had thoughts myself for a dabble.

I can't count that high as I run out of fingers. Quite a few of mine used to be yours.

I bet you have had more than I ever have. My problems are:
  1. I hate the idea of selling anything (although I have got several mouthpieces and saxes out on long term loan)
  2. I can't play them

I'll count mine if you list all the saxes you have had, say in the last ten years !

Rhys

I can't count that high as I run out of fingers. Quite a few of mine used to be yours.

1. I hate the idea of selling anything (although I have got several mouthpieces and saxes out on long term loan)
  2. I can't play them

I'll count mine if you list all the saxes you have had, say in the last ten years !

Rhys

This should make interesting reading...:)))

as long as the wives don't find out...:shocked:

(Wife:- How many saxophones do you own / or have owned Davey / Rhys?)>:)

(Davey / Rhys:- Not enough!):)))

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:

2. I can't play them

Rhys

This should make interesting reading...:)))

as long as the wives don't find out...:shocked:

(Wife:- How many saxophones do you own / or have owned Davey / Rhys?)>:)

(Davey / Rhys:- Not enough!):)))

Greg S.

Rhys i'll try and remember them,in 10 years its going to be hard to think of them all.

Greg i'm back down to just 3 horns as we speak.Is i not well !!!!!!!!! no the words skint.

Here goes

my last MKVI was about 10 years ago so start there not in order,just what i remember :shocked:

TENORS

MKVI,
Borgani Silver pearl
Borgani Black
Borgani gold plate
Borgani Silver pearl.
Selmer series III
Selmer MK7
Yamaha 82 Z Silver
Yamaha 82 Z GL
Yamaha 82 Z GL
Yamaha 82 Z GL
Mauriat 66R Vintage lac
Mauriat 66RUL
Mauriat 66RUL
Mauriat 66RUL
Mauriat PMST 60 Nickel
Bauhaus Walstein M2
Yanagisawa 991
System 54 UL
System 54 UL
Yamaha 61
Yamaha 61
Locto back up tenor
TJ RAW XS

Theres 24 tenors in 10 years :( WOW i'm shocked as theres LOADS more before that :))):))):))):)))

Altos in last 10 years,

Bauhaus Walstein
Yamaha 62
Keilwerth SX90R
Mauriat PMSA 60 nickel
Stephanhouser
Yamaha 32
Yama 25
Yama 25
Yama 23
Yama 23
Yama 21
Vito yamaha
Gear4music back up
Selmer USA back up
Chinese back up

Sopranos last 10 years

Borgani curved
Steve Goodson curved
System 54
Yamaha 475
Thomann curved, hey its great :shocked:
Bauhas Walstein
Venus curved
Venus curved
Venus straight
Chinese silver back up
Chinese back up

Baritone

System 54

Well theres a few missing i'm sure,WOW I'M A NUT :shocked: :))):))):))):))):))):))):)))

Dont ask me to go back further,i might have a heart attack,Mps,necks,ligs,cases ,OH MY GOD there loads of them in the last 10 years also,come on now and take the p*ss,i await.

Start counting Rhys >:):))):))):))):))):)))

Here goes

my last MKVI was about 10 years ago so start there not in order,just what i remember :shocked:

TENORS

MKVI,
Borgani Silver pearl
Borgani Black
Borgani gold plate
Borgani Silver pearl.
Selmer series III
Selmer MK7
Yamaha 82 Z Silver
Yamaha 82 Z GL
Yamaha 82 Z GL
Yamaha 82 Z GL
Mauriat 66R Vintage lac
Mauriat 66RUL
Mauriat 66RUL
Mauriat 66RUL
Mauriat PMST 60 Nickel
Bauhaus Walstein M2
Yanagisawa 991
System 54 UL
System 54 UL
Yamaha 61
Yamaha 61
Locto back up tenor
TJ RAW XS

Theres 24 tenors in 10 years :( WOW i'm shocked as theres LOADS more before that :))):))):))):)))

Altos in last 10 years,

Bauhaus Walstein
Yamaha 62
Keilwerth SX90R
Mauriat PMSA 60 nickel
Stephanhouser
Yamaha 32
Yama 25
Yama 25
Yama 23
Yama 23
Yama 21
Vito yamaha
Gear4music back up
Selmer USA back up
Chinese back up

Sopranos last 10 years

Borgani curved
Steve Goodson curved
System 54
Yamaha 475
Thomann curved, hey its great :shocked:
Bauhas Walstein
Venus curved
Venus curved
Venus straight
Chinese silver back up
Chinese back up

Baritone

System 54

Well theres a few missing i'm sure,WOW I'M A NUT :shocked: :))):))):))):))):))):))):)))

Dont ask me to go back further,i might have a heart attack,Mps,necks,ligs,cases ,OH MY GOD there loads of them in the last 10 years also,come on now and take the p*ss,i await.

Start counting Rhys >:):))):))):))):))):)))

Interesting reading Davey - you have certainly owned some interesting horns and you're most definitely not bias against brand names, original of manufacture,etc.

It's up to Rhys now - Davey thrown down the gauntlet, done the haka, offered the challenge...

I've had about 6 saxes in 25 years...I've got a lot to aim for...

Sorry Connor we've hi-jacked your plastic trombone thread...

Greg S.

Interesting reading Davey - you have certainly owned some interesting horns and you're most definitely not bias against brand names, original of manufacture,etc.

It's up to Rhys now - Davey thrown down the gauntlet, done the haka, offered the challenge...

I've had about 6 saxes in 25 years...I've got a lot to aim for...

Sorry Connor we've hi-jacked your plastic trombone thread...

Greg S.

Ah but how many have i had in over 25 years ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? NOW THATS THE SCARY BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah but how many have i had in over 25 years ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? NOW THATS THE SCARY BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davy. .Are you telling me that you have never owned an Old Conn or was that before 10 years? Something from mid to late 30`s. I`m thinking here that you must have tried them and just not liked them or is there a bigger story to tell? If you have not .You really need to at least borrow one for a month if you have not already done so.LOL

Davy. .Are you telling me that you have never owned an Old Conn or was that before 10 years? Something from mid to late 30`s. I`m thinking here that you must have tried them and just not liked them or is there a bigger story to tell? If you have not .You really need to at least borrow one for a month if you have not already done so.LOL

Blew a few and yes the sound is very lush but ergonomics are not nice for me.If i got 1 i would get Steve Crow to do his Conn 10M face lift.More modern souped up keywork.I love ease of playing.I was true Selmer guy.Had 6 MKVI's ,5 tenor and 1 alto.Get a good 1 and your sorted.I went through a couple of Selmer serie II tenors and 2 Serie II altos but my Serie III was the best of the modern Selmers.I went to Keilwerth years ago and had alto,sop and tenor SX90's,there great horns for sure.For me now i like modern horns as i think they have improved on all sides.Intonation,ergonomics and theres so much more choice of sound.My soft spots are Borgani,MKVI,Yamaha Z and now my Trevor James Raw XS which is 1 great horn.It has so much going for it.Free blowing,great core,great ergonomics,top intonation and build,Huge power projection and sound.So the answer is the oldest horn i owned was a MKVI made in 1956 but the best 2 MKVI tenors i had were both made in 1962.

Rhys.........And we wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Working away from home, but a quick summary of the horns (mouthpieces too difficult):

Sopranino
Orsi Curved

C Soprano
Eppelsheim & Reese E&R

Soprano
Buffet S1 - Anniversary
Conn
Goodson Curved
Rampone & Cazzani Saxello
Yanagisawa SC991

Alto
Buescher "Buescher 400 TH&C"
Bauhaus-Walstein M2-S
Buffet S1 - Prestige
Buffet Expression (Keilwerth stencil)
Grassi Prestige
Grafton
Keilwerth Anniversary
Keilwerth Straight
Mauriat PMSA-60NS
Maxtone
Selmer MkVI
Selmer MkVI (low A)
Selmer MkVII
TopTone (Holland) TT25 Vintage
Walstein

C-Melody
Conn Straight neck (tuner neck)
Vito Beaugnier stencil (straight neck)

Tenor
Bauhaus-Walstein M2-S
Buffet S2
Grassi Jade Rollers
Keilwerth Anniversary
Maxtone
Olds Super (Martin stencil)
Selmer MkVI
Selmer MkVII
SML (modified by Leopold Kondratov) Rev. D (modified)
Yamaha 82Z silver plate

Baritone
Buffet S1/SDA transition (low A)
Conn 12M (crossbar)
Selmer MkVI (low Bb)
Selmer SA80 Serie II (low A)

Bass
Martin Grunewald Based on Keilwerth (low A)

Can that be right ?

Rhys

Illustrates how totally uneducated I am. Always thought they were saxophones, amazed to find they are all plastic slushpumps.
Now really worried about dementia.

A big thanks and shout- out to Davey and Rhys for a list of saxophones previously owned in the case of Davey and Rhys' current collection - you guys have owned and own some interesting horns.

A great insight into your passion for the saxophone.

Cheers,

Greg S.

Working away from home, but a quick summary of the horns (mouthpieces too difficult):

Sopranino
Orsi Curved

C Soprano
Eppelsheim & Reese E&R

Soprano
Buffet S1 - Anniversary
Conn
Goodson Curved
Rampone & Cazzani Saxello
Yanagisawa SC991

Alto
Buescher "Buescher 400 TH&C"
Bauhaus-Walstein M2-S
Buffet S1 - Prestige
Buffet Expression (Keilwerth stencil)
Grassi Prestige
Grafton
Keilwerth Anniversary
Keilwerth Straight
Mauriat PMSA-60NS
Maxtone
Selmer MkVI
Selmer MkVI (low A)
Selmer MkVII
TopTone (Holland) TT25 Vintage
Walstein

C-Melody
Conn Straight neck (tuner neck)
Vito Beaugnier stencil (straight neck)

Tenor
Bauhaus-Walstein M2-S
Buffet S2
Grassi Jade Rollers
Keilwerth Anniversary
Maxtone
Olds Super (Martin stencil)
Selmer MkVI
Selmer MkVII
SML (modified by Leopold Kondratov) Rev. D (modified)
Yamaha 82Z silver plate

Baritone
Buffet S1/SDA transition (low A)
Conn 12M (crossbar)
Selmer MkVI (low Bb)
Selmer SA80 Serie II (low A)

Bass
Martin Grunewald Based on Keilwerth (low A)

Can that be right ?

Rhys

So have you a large room for all the horns ??? theres some very nice stuff there.I see your point on not selling anything.WOW you got more stock than most shops.Nice to hear at last what you have.Do you have a cycle of trying different horns at a time,

Note to moderators/admin: sorry for derailing this thread from its original topic about plastic trombones. Would it be an idea to remove the posts from #8 onwards to a thread of their own about odd people and their habits ?

Rhys

Wow- I feel shockingly boring and monogamous when it comes to my kit! I’ve been using the same mouthpiece on tenor for about 5 years & can only claim to have had ten saxes in my lifetime (4 tenors, two sops, three altos and a bari)!! BTW- I also occasionally play in a horn section with a guy who uses a P-Bone (Gram- who I believe you know- Mr Davey..?) sounds- like a trombone, its tough as old boots and- in the hands of the aforementioned Geordie bloke, is the loudest bit of unamplified brass I think I’ve ever heard!

Note to moderators/admin: sorry for derailing this thread from its original topic about plastic trombones. Would it be an idea to remove the posts from #8 onwards to a thread of their own about odd people and their habits ?

Rhys

Doone, thread is in the breakfast room ( with the rquested title >:) )

Total rubbish. There is enough about saxophones on this board and now the truth is out, you've all been playing plastic trombones by mistake.

And I thought I could trust Pete, although not so sure about Kev and Chris.

So when do we get to the 'Odd People and their Habits'?

Wow- I feel shockingly boring and monogamous when it comes to my kit! I’ve been using the same mouthpiece on tenor for about 5 years & can only claim to have had ten saxes in my lifetime (4 tenors, two sops, three altos and a bari)!! BTW- I also occasionally play in a horn section with a guy who uses a P-Bone (Gram- who I believe you know- Mr Davey..?) sounds- like a trombone, its tough as old boots and- in the hands of the aforementioned Geordie bloke, is the loudest bit of unamplified brass I think I’ve ever heard!

Heys thats freaky.I got Jamie bass player who is a very good pal of Grams to join a mid week fusion funk jazz quartet about a month ago.Not played with Jamie in over 3 years now since Minnie and the Victors.Nice to be back jamming with Jamie,let Gram know.

Back
Top Bottom