support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

October 2013 IOTM - Georgia (on my mind).

thesaxman71

Account Closed
The IOTM I have chosen is "Georgia"

For a few reasons, firstly it is a popular tune we can all relate to and most of us will know this tune very well even if you have not played it before you are likely to have heard it somewhere, second, in that we can also use the "blues scale" from last month IOTM which is a development of the idea and in my plan for IOTM this is vital as it means we can use elements of all my ideas in cross sections of tunes as we go along giving you all the chance to use these ideas in any given melody.
the exercise:
I am wanting to take you all out of your Rhythmical comfort zone, yes we can all happily swing along which is all well and good but will end up "samey" and although it is nice to swing it can end up predictable so to develop as an improviser you must start developing different senses of rhythm and this is a good thing as doing different things to the 'norm' makes an improviser more unique and adds more to their 'jazz language arsenal'.
for example, instead of just using swing quavers try putting in 'straight' quavers maybe adding triplets, semiquavers, syncopated notes(off beat) or just simply adding some space.

link to backing track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qir3I6OVmgA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUc8qFJqyNiCxcuPAPwJo0DQ

As always it is about all enjoying the music and if you pick up a little tip or trick from me on the way then all well and good, I am not trying to give a 'school type' method on this and merely drawing from my experiences as a musician and jazz improviser and sharing my improvisation methods and some of my thought processes in how i improvise.

Enjoy

Ian

ps
as this is such a popular melody i am sure we can find our own music for it but if not just message me and i will sort it out for you.

The IOTM I have chosen is "Georgia"

For a few reasons, firstly it is a popular tune we can all relate to and most of us will know this tune very well even if you have not played it before you are likely to have heard it somewhere, second, in that we can also use the "blues scale" from last month IOTM which is a development of the idea and in my plan for IOTM this is vital as it means we can use elements of all my ideas in cross sections of tunes as we go along giving you all the chance to use these ideas in any given melody.
the exercise:
I am wanting to take you all out of your Rhythmical comfort zone, yes we can all happily swing along which is all well and good but will end up "samey" and although it is nice to swing it can end up predictable so to develop as an improviser you must start developing different senses of rhythm and this is a good thing as doing different things to the 'norm' makes an improviser more unique and adds more to their 'jazz language arsenal'.
for example, instead of just using swing quavers try putting in 'straight' quavers maybe adding triplets, semiquavers, syncopated notes(off beat) or just simply adding some space.

link to backing track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qir3I6OVmgA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUc8qFJqyNiCxcuPAPwJo0DQ

As always it is about all enjoying the music and if you pick up a little tip or trick from me on the way then all well and good, I am not trying to give a 'school type' method on this and merely drawing from my experiences as a musician and jazz improviser and sharing my improvisation methods and some of my thought processes in how i improvise.

Enjoy

Ian

ps
as this is such a popular melody i am sure we can find our own music for it but if not just message me and i will sort it out for you.

Great choice :thumb:

Another good thing with this tune is that it is very flexible in whatever style you want to play it in, swing, funk, bossa, pop or jazz ballad etc etc...

I will try to post a very brief demo at some point soon of how it sounds when you play around with the timing/rhythm.

I have someone interested in buying a Zephyr tenor I have for sale and they wanted a sound clip.
So I quickly ran through Georgia to send to them.
It's only a first run through but here it is.
https://app.box.com/s/v0itt5cz3uqk7mbvpsi1
Nick.

Last edited by a moderator:
@B Flat - I like the way you stretch the melody and play around with it, all in the aim of the exercise, great stuff, it shows how playing around with timing can enhance the overall feel of any given melody and personalizes it. Nice reference to the blues in the start of your solo with nice playing around with timing indeed, smokey old but edgy sound and a great start to this month's IOTM, thanks!
Ian

ps
It is a good example for reference for your customer to listen to on your pending sale :)

Thanks Ian.
I really had a lot of fun on this one.
I think this tune lends itself to some playing around with the timing and melody.
And the horn sounded even better than I remembered.
Not too worried if the sale doesn't go through after-all.
It sure sounds a lot better than it looks.

Not sure whether I should be in this thread but nothing ventured...

The temptation to try out this tune was too much for me so here is my attempt at it. I am sure I have broken all the unwritten rules of improvisation but this was certainly produced extemporaneously, so I hope it doesn't offend you guys.

https://soundcloud.com/mloosemore/georgia-on-my-mind

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure whether I should be in this thread but nothing ventured...

The temptation to try out this tune was too much for me so here is my attempt at it. I am sure I have broken all the unwritten rules of improvisation but this was certainly produced extemporaneously, so I hope it doesn't offend you guys.

https://soundcloud.com/mloosemore/georgia-on-my-mind

just the fact you are rolling ya sleeves up and having a go is great, enthusiasm to play is a great thing and i see that with you Mark.
I`ve found this New Page for Use With Youtube its useful i think.

http://www.listentoyoutube.com/
plus 1 to the link, I use that site and you can also apply it to other web sites apart from youtube, basically any site you want to extract music from, just copy the URL, paste it and let the link do it's thing.