support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Oct. 2014 BOTM When Sunny Gets Blue

jimmylh

Locality
Warner Robins, Georgia USA
Greetings folks. Nick, aka Bflat, asked me to host for October. I hope everyone likes the song I picked for this month. There are many examples to listen to on youtube. Here are two that I like:

Dexter playing it at a faster tempo. This tune sounds great slow or fast.

Here are the link for sheets and a back track.

"When Sunny Gets Blue"

Don't be shy if you've never posted a tune before. Everyone is welcome no matter what your skill level. I think recording yourself can be a helpful learning tool. Besides, it's just plain fun!

Finally, here is my humble version: View: https://soundcloud.com/jimmylh/sunny-get-blue

Edit by Admin..
Original links removed due to copyright

Nice choice. I've been meaning to learn this for ages.

Nat and Dexters versions are great listening. I found this version by Mel Torme, who isn't on my usual list but sings a very clean and simple, unadorned version that may help us to get our ears round the melody.

http://youtu.be/LDNQIoItdMw

One of my favorite ballads on alto---gorgeous melody, interesting changes that are easy to hear, and simple form. It almost plays itself. :)

Nice choice looking forward to listening :}

Jx

This version is hypnotic. Personnel: Benny Carter (vocals, alto saxophone); Clark Terry (vocals, trumpet, flugelhorn); Billy Hill (vocals); Kenny Barron (piano); Rufus Reid (bass); Kenny Washington (drums).

Last edited:
Hey, Jimmy. Playing your take on this great tune while typing this. Sweet, man. I listened to the NKC version before downloading the sheet music and backing track Thanks very much. The song has powerful lyrics, especially for another old guy who has lived a pretty full life. My two cents worth but I don't think anyone can play this song without being intimate with the lyrics.
Jim

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis does a great version of this on his Jaws Strikes Again album.
And of course there's this one.

This was the first Jazz ballad I encountered back in the sixties. Used to sing it to myself badly on the way back from the pub to Barracks in my days as a squaddie... Great choice, been playing it in a different key for a few months and looking forward to recording one.

Looking at where this one is pitched I think the Bb horns have more scope. I'm pleasantly surprised how logical this tune is. It seems to make perfect sense. I'm having trouble finding a solo, the best notes, intervals and phrases seem to be in the melody.

Great pick Jimmy :thumb:
Lovely version by lady Sarah

Reactions: Sue
Yeah, I'm not shure if I could clear a room quicker with a Pffft or my playing.
Both can have a ligering effect.

Looking at where this one is pitched I think the Bb horns have more scope. I'm pleasantly surprised how logical this tune is. It seems to make perfect sense. I'm having trouble finding a solo, the best notes, intervals and phrases seem to be in the melody.

I just watched your youtube video listed in your sig. Nice, I enjoyed that.

I like this one.... whether I will still like it once the comments start arriving who knows....

Not having the skills of you expert solo improvisers I limited my take to just one play through of the song this time. It seems pointless going through the same notes twice. o_O

...Recording removed pending version 2...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom