All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Oct. 2014 BOTM When Sunny Gets Blue

jimmylh

Locality
Warner Robins, Georgia USA
Greetings folks. Nick, aka Bflat, asked me to host for October. I hope everyone likes the song I picked for this month. There are many examples to listen to on youtube. Here are two that I like:

It's hard to beat Nat King Cole's voice when it comes to ballads.

Dexter playing it at a faster tempo. This tune sounds great slow or fast.

Here are the link for sheets and a back track.

"When Sunny Gets Blue"

Don't be shy if you've never posted a tune before. Everyone is welcome no matter what your skill level. I think recording yourself can be a helpful learning tool. Besides, it's just plain fun!

Finally, here is my humble version: https://soundcloud.com/jimmylh/sunny-get-blue

Edit by Admin..
Original links removed due to copyright

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Nice choice. I've been meaning to learn this for ages.

Nat and Dexters versions are great listening. I found this version by Mel Torme, who isn't on my usual list but sings a very clean and simple, unadorned version that may help us to get our ears round the melody.

http://youtu.be/LDNQIoItdMw

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
One of my favorite ballads on alto---gorgeous melody, interesting changes that are easy to hear, and simple form. It almost plays itself. :)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Nice choice looking forward to listening :}

Jx

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
This version is hypnotic. Personnel: Benny Carter (vocals, alto saxophone); Clark Terry (vocals, trumpet, flugelhorn); Billy Hill (vocals); Kenny Barron (piano); Rufus Reid (bass); Kenny Washington (drums).

Last edited:

zelda

On the border
Locality
British Columbia interior, Canada
Hey, Jimmy. Playing your take on this great tune while typing this. Sweet, man. I listened to the NKC version before downloading the sheet music and backing track Thanks very much. The song has powerful lyrics, especially for another old guy who has lived a pretty full life. My two cents worth but I don't think anyone can play this song without being intimate with the lyrics.
Jim

B Flat

Locality
Melbourne Australia
Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis does a great version of this on his Jaws Strikes Again album.
And of course there's this one.

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
Locality
Spalding Lincs
This was the first Jazz ballad I encountered back in the sixties. Used to sing it to myself badly on the way back from the pub to Barracks in my days as a squaddie... Great choice, been playing it in a different key for a few months and looking forward to recording one.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Looking at where this one is pitched I think the Bb horns have more scope. I'm pleasantly surprised how logical this tune is. It seems to make perfect sense. I'm having trouble finding a solo, the best notes, intervals and phrases seem to be in the melody.

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Great pick Jimmy :thumb:
Lovely version by lady Sarah

Reactions: Sue

B Flat

Locality
Melbourne Australia
Yeah, I'm not shure if I could clear a room quicker with a Pffft or my playing.
Both can have a ligering effect.

jimmylh

Locality
Warner Robins, Georgia USA
Looking at where this one is pitched I think the Bb horns have more scope. I'm pleasantly surprised how logical this tune is. It seems to make perfect sense. I'm having trouble finding a solo, the best notes, intervals and phrases seem to be in the melody.

I just watched your youtube video listed in your sig. Nice, I enjoyed that.

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
Locality
Spalding Lincs
I like this one.... whether I will still like it once the comments start arriving who knows....

Not having the skills of you expert solo improvisers I limited my take to just one play through of the song this time. It seems pointless going through the same notes twice. o_O

...Recording removed pending version 2...

Last edited:

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom