support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Obscure alternative fingering?

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Playing my Bauhaus low A baritone today I found that engaging the side C key whilst playing F2 drops the note to a reasonably tuned C2. The jump is so stable I can trill from note to note using the side C as easily as trilling B to C with that lever

Also playing F1 brings the note up to C2 though with less stability

I don't recall seeing this fingering described and a quick comparison on a curvy soprano yielded squeaks

Is F2 + side C a known alt fingering? Or is this a quirk of that particular horn

lydian

Locality
USA
It is not. Sounds like it would require some gymnastics to move your right hand up to play side C while keeping your right index finger on F.

I'd classify your find as a "false" fingering.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I've not come across it either.
I just tried it on SATB. Easier than it sounds on the hands but nothing stable soundwise.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
It is not. Sounds like it would require some gymnastics to move your right hand up to play side C while keeping your right index finger on F.

I'd classify your find as a "false" fingering.
Somewhere between alternative and false.... The C lever produces a good C after all

As for gymnastics... It's an easy manoeuvre, variations of which I use anyway for some altissimo notes... But then again short fingers, which I don't have, might increase the difficulty

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
London
The side C opens the alternative C key. So that is the effective length of the tube and more or less any other key pressed below will still result in a C so fingering A, G , F , E will always produce a C.

Whether it's good C may depend on the actual horn and there are some very slight differences as the lower keys do still have some small effect. Slightly flatter which may be a good thing.

Last edited:

lydian

Locality
USA
Somewhere between alternative and false.... The C lever produces a good C after all

As for gymnastics... It's an easy manoeuvre, variations of which I use anyway for some altissimo notes... But then again short fingers, which I don't have, might increase the difficulty
Yeah, just tried it myself. Easier to reach than I thought. Results in a slight timbre change for me on sop/alto/c-mel/tenor/bari/bass, no change in pitch. Very subtle effect which I will probably never use. My go-to wah-wah effect for C is to close RH1,2, using regular C fingering.

Top Bottom