All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Oatmeal

saxofón

Love oatmeal. Lowers cholesterol and tasty for breakfast. How do you make oatmeal?

I usually use organic rolled oats and cook with extra water and a bit of sea salt for 10 minutes or so. Top with soy milk, a little honey or maple syrup and/or brown sugar.

I've also been known to slow cook the steel cut oats in a slow cooker overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
My method will probably raise outrage north of the border...

I'm not a fan of water/salt.

15g of oats, about 140ml of milk in a bowl (about 1/2oz plus just under 5fl. oz.). Microwave on a low setting for 4 minutes. I prefer a splash of sugar. Sometimes, I add dried fruit instead. For an extra treat (usually when on skiing holiday) I add a splash of cream.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Well, if yours will outrage, Ron, mine definitely will....
35g porridge oats, cover well with skimmed milk, microwave on full a minute at a time and stir between, until boiling, leave to stand for a little while to cool enough to eat. Add fresh fruits - raspberries, blueberries and cherries, strawberries and grapes! A truly bizarre taste sensation -hot porridge with cold strawbwrries and grapes, somehow the blueberries, raspberries and cherries warm up, but not the grapes and strawberries.

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
If there is absolutely no alternative to oatmeal.... then hot milk and LOTS of sugar or honey....

Colin the Bear

Oatmeal or porridge oats sometimes called rolled oats?

1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup semiskimmed milk, 1 cup water, 8 mins in Mw 900watts. No stirring. Ping. Turn out, sprinkle with brown sugar, add sultanas and cover with natural yogurt. Don't let the crockery dry out, it sets like concrete.

trimmy

One day i will...
Iv'e had porridge for at least 25yrs for my brekkie, just love it :D bang a bowl in the micro (use to use a pan) topped with milk (semi) when the consistency is just right, take it out the micro then add a large dollop of honey, it's the only way to eat it mmmmmmmmmm.
I have over the years made porridge with some combinations like adding yoghurt, sliced bananas, strawberries, a good one to add is the Muller fruit corner yogurts niceeeeeee :D

But you can't have porridge without HONEY it's sacrilege

Rikki

Well, if yours will outrage, Ron, mine definitely will....
35g porridge oats, cover well with skimmed milk, microwave on full a minute at a time and stir between, until boiling, leave to stand for a little while to cool enough to eat. Add fresh fruits - raspberries, blueberries and cherries, strawberries and grapes! A truly bizarre taste sensation -hot porridge with cold strawbwrries and grapes, somehow the blueberries, raspberries and cherries warm up, but not the grapes and strawberries.
If you think that is controversial, I alternate between maple syrup/brown sugar and (especially yummy!) Dark Chocolate (70% Lindt) and breakfast marmalade.

I always cook in the pan using organic Soy milk with a little water and a good pinch of salt

Regards Rikki

Jazzaferri

Steel cut oats (organic I think) cooked in water and maple syrup with a pinch of pink himalayan salt. Top with heavy cream and a drizzle more of maple syrup. The joy of living in Canada is good maple syrup is relatively cheap and a very healthy sweetener.

we have it on bacon, eggs, pancakes waffles, yams ham etc etc.

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
Jumbo oats covering a nice herring, fried in butter. Heaven.
Mr Sanders, how do the jumbo oats cover the herring...? Do you mean coating it like breadcrumbs?

That said, I'm not sure if herrings are available in Canada, except the pickled variety or in cream or mustard sauces.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Mr Sanders, how do the jumbo oats cover the herring...? Do you mean coating it like breadcrumbs?

That said, I'm not sure if herrings are available in Canada, except the pickled variety or in cream or mustard sauces.
Hi SushiDushi, I fillet the herrings, place the oats on a plate and press the fillets hard onto the oats and it sticks like breadcrumbs.
Save any oats that have made their escape off the fish as these are buttery and delicious.
Any oily fish can work cooked this way but don't try it with pickled ones, always fresh.

By the way Mr Sanders is my father and has been dead for quite a while!

I'm getting hungry now.

Andy

Connor Lee

I thought this was a thread suggesting we soak our reeds in oatmeal for optimal performance... I must try that. I will report back with results in a few days, because there's nothing weird about a kid fishing his reeds out of a jar of oatmeal during rehearsal...

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Cooked porridge has too few calories for the volume and leaves me feeling hungry by mid-morning

Whoever it was who invented muesli recommended soaking oats overnight in cold milk then adding fruit/nuts etc before eating

This is what I now do and it's delicious, creamy in texture and keeps me filled 'til lunchtime

Top Bottom