support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Now there's a discussion. Flautist or flutist?

Moz

From another thread the word flautist came up and as I love a good discussion about words I thought I'd throw this one in to the ring.

Now I prefer 'flautist'. The reasons for this are two-fold...a) I am a poncy bastard who likes everything to be just as it was when people could speak properly and write a business letter ending in Yours Faithfully (if you started the letter Dear Sir or Madam) or Yours Sincerely (if you used their name in the opening address), and...

...b) because I am convinced that a flutist is an expert on champagne flutes.

To me 'flautist' is like 'saxOPHonist' whereas flutist is like saying 'saxoPHONIST'; you just wouldn't say it that way.

I suppose I'm being picky, but I don't care.

What misuse of words or phrases make you cringe? Let's start with poor use of the word 'accept' when one actually means 'except' as in a sign I saw in Saltash which said "no deliveries excepted between one and two o'clock". Or the phrase 'for free'!! Arrgh!!

Martin

Flautist for me.And I agree on the saxophonist. But 'for free' doesn't jar. I know it's wrong, but got so used to it that I use it a lot.

One the really annoys me is switching effect and affect. Another is not distinguishing between there and their.

Moz, you are absolutely correct in everything you say.

Incidentally, James Galway is largely responsible for the 'flutist' nonsense. He used to say 'I play the flute so I am a flutist'. That's a bit like saying 'I play the fool so I'm a foolist'.

As all variable note whistles are technically flutes, why not be really exclusive and insist on being a transverso player?

Just thought of one, could be confused with nose flutes.

Yet another thought, that means brain shut down for the rest of the day, Directional Air Fed Transverse.

Just a "sweet transverso" - but I play the end blown ones as well (this is getting worse).

Flautists for me , also...the Americans can, and will, do as they please.

Incidentally, I have noticed, from US-oriented forums, that quite a lot of them write 'then' rather than 'than'!

Any 'English'-speaking nation which refers to a buoy as a "booey" is quite beyond the pale (or should that be bucket?) :)

(Only teasing, our transatlantic friends!)

The incorrect use of 'compliment' rather than 'complement' is my personal bête noire!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who calls a flautist a flutist should be shot by a shootist (apologies to John Wayne's great film).

As for grammar and mis-use, don't get me started. None of us is perfect, but things I flinch at are the aberrant apostrophe (how can a greengrocer sell tomato's? What is it that belongs to tomato is he selling? Does tomato know about this?), train stations (how are they different to ordinary stations?) and has any one noticed TV presenters starting to drop the "and" in the year - as in "two thousand ten"?

Time for a lie down....
YC

There, their and they're. I got an email from a senior librarian the other day who managed to use the wrong versions of all three in one short message and then proceeded to ask me to excuse her grammar.

For pity's sake, woman, if you know your SPaG is bad, why don't you flipping well check it and do something about it? You've got enough books on the subject. I should know - I ordered most of them!

Cor blimey an wot a load of cobblers from guys wot shood bee sat in th sit in room een reetyremunt homzz.

I trust you realise that English is primarily a spoken language and a written language second. You critics do not need to play instruments as the musical score will be enough for your purposes. None of you own recordings of any form as again the musical score is sufficient. You make excuses for jazzers, nodding knowingly and muttering about expressing themselves, yet refuse to allow similar liberties to the written English language form, all this despite the constant development of language and grammar.

Go on, ask me, "Where's your grammar?", "Sheez gorn to th flicks innit."

Can you honestly state that you did not understand any of the foregoing rubbish?

Back
Top Bottom