support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Novice alto in north Shropshire

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in Cumbria
Café Supporter
Locality
Penrith, Cumbria, UK
Hi

Brand new sax player - I have my first lesson tomorrow evening...

I'm an experienced amateur musician but in completely different world of choral singing. I have a particular interest in early music (i.e. pre 1750). As well as singing, I play both the tenor and bass viol (viola da gamba). So I have to read and play from bass, alto (C3), treble and octave treble clefs... so that shouldn't be a challenge!

Sax strikes me as providing a new opportunity to have fun playing music:) Not sure where i'll go with it yet. Some jazz and swing might be good...I'm hoping I'll pick it up quickly enough to be able to play with others soon - no idea what's available round here (I'm 20 miles south of Chester).

I visited a luthier yesterday who had just finished making a stunning treble viol for an American client, which he let me try. Stunning instrument. Sadly, at £6,000 for a tenor, I won't be ordering one just yet!

Looking forward to chatting with you all

Welcome aboard. Look forward to hearing how you get on in your lesson.

Having never heard of a viol I just had a quick google - fascinating instruments!

Cheers,

Amanda

Welcome to the caff©, TenorViol.

Not the tenor clef? Shocking lack of musical education.;}

ENJOY!™

Interesting background to come at the sax from - good luck.

This is also an excuse for a tasteless joke that was being twittered around - "reports of mobs of people playing medieval instruments in town centres all over the country - when will this sensless luting ever end?"

Dooce,
All lute jokes are classified as course.

Hi Tenorviol

Welcome to the cafe hope you enjoy the fun you do realise you will be expected to change your name to Tenorsax&viol in that order,hope the first lesson goes well...john

Welcome. Well, that's a different musical direction to come from! At least you'll be comfortable with only needing to read treble clef for sax.
Nice one Dooce!
YC

Thanks for the welcome. Only major issue this week has been Flash Player v10.3.183.5, but we won't go there... Well, devised an avatar... had a lesson earlier in the week which went well. Off to indulge in music buying, not sure I'll survive GAS...

Welcome Tenorviol, and good luck with the saxophone!
Juju

Welcome to the Cafe mate ...

Sunray waves from Norfolk ... :old:

Welcome to the cafe. I hope you enjoy the sax. Just remember, the sax goes in your mouth not under the chin!

Humph, and people call me uneducated:))):mrcool

:thumb: The full Italian name for a viol (which is the English word) is viola da gamba, which means 'on/of the leg', as opposed to violins which are 'da bracchia' which is 'on the arm'.

You'll be relieved to know that all viols, including the treble and the even smaller pardessus, as well as the bass and the violone (ancestor of the double bass) are played on the lap, or between the knees.

If I start sticking a tenor viol (which is guitar sized - common ancestor the vihuela) under my chin, I'm in big trouble (or possibly too much Australian red ;}).

:thumb: If I start sticking a tenor viol (which is guitar sized - common ancestor the vihuela) under my chin, I'm in big trouble (or possibly too much Australian red ;}).

No such thing as too much Australian red:happydance:

A big warm welcome from me too.

Jx

Hi TV!

Welcome to the Cafe Sax community. I had a beautiful Lute Quartet at my wedding some 22 years ago. If you need some direction in terms of music you might like, do have a look at Jan Garbarek/Hilliard Ensemble , and other Jan Garbarek collaborations with Kim Kashkashian on Viola. Lots of North European Jazz has its roots more in European Classical music than its American counterpart. Jan Garbarek is influenced by Medieval Norwegian Music and is worth looking up.

My main sax is alto - lovely instrument.
Kind regards
Tom

Back
Top Bottom