All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

NOVEMBER 2013 IOTM - Cantaloupe island

thesaxman71

HERE WE GO AGAIN!
A new month coming and in this month i will be looking into "playing outside" the regular changes!
There are no "wrong notes" to me in jazz, just right notes played in the wrong place!
this is a freedom to express month, just go for it i say and let yourself open up and experiment with notes on an improvisation that you would never normally use. Of course there is some formulated methods too which i can talk you through to try out and i will offer some suggestions too.
As this exercise is about playing outside the changes at times and playing more freely then i am deliberatly going to back off a little in laying down a specific thing to play as i suggested in previous IOTM's this is because i want people to try and open up a little and be more intimate with your sax (not literally for you jokers out there) and not so scared to try notes on the sax that they would not think to play in the given situation.
Also, it is good for you to use the finding and tips i offered from the previous months in this, for example, use of the blues scale and use of syncopation and dynamics, then you will see i am trying to build and develop your ideas that you can draw upon for any given improvisation.

**if you do feel the need of a more formulated approach that is fine, i will throw suggestions to try but just go for it and enjoy the freedom of your sax playing, and remember all notes are good notes!

the tune i chosen is a simple but great tune to approach a more "free" solo on -

IOTM - Cantaloupe island

as always, it is about enjoying the music, so be free and have fun folks!

Ian

example 1 of the tune on youtube, a really nice funky kind of feel, sax solo starts at 5:21 and is a good example of what i mean by playing out side and using syncopation and dynamics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlRd1ph8GhQ

example 2 closer to the original version of the tune on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cqwmDNPegnM

youtube backing track 1 slower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cqwmDNPegnM

youtube backing track 2 slightly faster and bossa style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k-CLfrCgyk4

Last edited by a moderator:

mrpeebee

Locality
The Netherlands
I did record a quick and dirty take of 'Cantaloupe island' for the other forum back in January 2012. I just got a new mouthpiece then (a metal Otto Link Early Babbitt 12) and used the tune more as a mouthpiece trial track without paying much attention to other aspects of the song (this music style is not really my cup of tea). So it's a kind of very rough version (don't tell me I didn't warn you :)), recorded with a very nice backing made by Chris back in 2012.

- 'Cantaloupe Island' (Otto Link Early Babbitt 12 - La Voz medium):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11349322

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I did record a quick and dirty take of 'Cantaloupe island' for the other forum back in January 2012. I just got a new mouthpiece then (a metal Otto Link Early Babbitt 12) and used the tune more as a mouthpiece trial track without paying much attention to other aspects of the song (this music style is not really my cup of tea). So it's a kind of very rough version (don't tell me I didn't warn you :)), recorded with a very nice backing made by Chris back in 2012.

- 'Cantaloupe Island' (Otto Link Early Babbitt 12 - La Voz medium):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11349322

MP sounds very thick with lots of core, niceeeeee. Very jazzy version. Some sweet stuff in there. Very busy lines. Enjoyed it.

daveysaxboy

Heres the version I did yesterday without knowing it would be the new IOTM,,, SPOOKY !!!!!!!!!!!

daveysaxboy

And heres a Soprano, Tenor version I just done today in a Bossa feel. Kept the soprano more busy. Went into the tenor solo more spacey and less busy. Used lots of chromatics here. Lots of half step runs. Melodic/harmonic minor subs, diminished patterns,whole tone etc etc. Pushed the timing about and kept on them lush straight 8 feels. Some blues stuff in here. A couple of quotes pushed in. Lots of double time stuff. Bends,growls,altissimo etc etc, messed about on the head with some colour notes on the soprano.

thesaxman71

Nice, the IOTM has got off to a bang and it is still a day to go til it starts!
I will be sure to have a listen and comment properly to the takes posted so far during the next day or so as i got more real life house stuff to do and winter is coming here so LOTS of wood to chop, weapon in hand is an axe, not a sax at the moment i am just flitting between smashing wood to bits and popping online!

visionari1

Locality
Out in the Countryside of Nelson NZ
Nice, the IOTM has got off to a bang and it is still a day to go til it starts!
I will be sure to have a listen and comment properly to the takes posted so far during the next day or so as i got more real life house stuff to do and winter is coming here so LOTS of wood to chop, weapon in hand is an axe, not a sax at the moment i am just flitting between smashing wood to bits and popping online!

Yeah another good selection Ian,

Didn't post last month, still was absorbing and listening heaps, I like how people are now stating what they did...this is very informative for me.
Initial thoughts on playing outside (for me) are doddgy as I haven't been handling playing inside exactly well.

Best of british with the wood pile in Norway, we here in NZ are struggling to keep up with cutting the grass, my rideon mower repairs are now fixed, need to put it all together and hop on it.... before the grass is too long to cut!

visionari1

Locality
Out in the Countryside of Nelson NZ
And heres a Soprano, Tenor version I just done today in a Bossa feel. Kept the soprano more busy. Went into the tenor solo more spacey and less busy. Used lots of chromatics here. Lots of half step runs. Melodic/harmonic minor subs, diminished patterns,whole tone etc etc. Pushed the timing about and kept on them lush straight 8 feels. Some blues stuff in here. A couple of quotes pushed in. Lots of double time stuff. Bends,growls,altissimo etc etc, messed about on the head with some colour notes on the soprano.

Both great takes Davey.
Only listened to both once...I need to replay and figure out exactly where the bits are you mentioned...man your getting some sound outta that Sop....cool banana's Mate!

daveysaxboy

Both great takes Davey.
Only listened to both once...I need to replay and figure out exactly where the bits are you mentioned...man your getting some sound outta that Sop....cool banana's Mate!

Thanks dude. Great tune. The simple 1's are always the best.

mrpeebee

Locality
The Netherlands
MP sounds very thick with lots of core, niceeeeee. Very jazzy version. Some sweet stuff in there. Very busy lines. Enjoyed it.

Thanks Davey :).

Like your new horn (tenor) / mouthpiece combi very much, your sound has more depth compared to the previous horn (yamaha). Great soprano stuff too, very nice clean sound :).

daveysaxboy

Thanks Davey :).

Like your new horn (tenor) / mouthpiece combi very much, your sound has more depth compared to the previous horn (yamaha). Great soprano stuff too, very nice clean sound :).

Cheers now. Loving my setup. I'm sorted at last on sop/tenor. Just alto to go. That mp you were blowing was very nice.

Kobi

Locality
Toronto, Canada

i love how the tenor and soprano are harmonized together. Your solo is very interesting, dynamic and creative. Tone is great on both saxes. I love the quote of "Work Song" in the beginning of the soprano solo. This is one of my favorite recordings of yours.:thumb:

daveysaxboy

i love how the tenor and soprano are harmonized together. Your solo is very interesting, dynamic and creative. Tone is great on both saxes. I love the quote of "Work Song" in the beginning of the soprano solo. This is one of my favorite recordings of yours.:thumb:

Thanks now. You missed the other quote, mission today for you is to find it, lol.... look forward to hearing your version.

Littlewailer

Locality
Victoria, BC
I'm syphoning through my BS trying to get a good take. I'll get something soon to share soon I'm sure.

I played this tune with a Jazz Quartet that had another tenor player at a jam a few months ago and I remember it sounding super great (at least to me). I wish I could take the file out of my brain and upload it to youtube.

Hey guys, here is my take on it :D https://soundcloud.com/michealmurray/cantaloupe-island not perfect by any means, so fire away with the critiques! Thanks :) Really enjoyed all the other versions so far as well!

Micheal

Littlewailer

Locality
Victoria, BC
https://soundcloud.com/seanwintersax/cantaloupe-island-cs-iotm

Trying to play outside at every chance possible but keeping it funky and sensical.

Takes me a little while to get into it but about half way through it picks up.

Littlewailer

Locality
Victoria, BC
Hey guys, here is my take on it :D https://soundcloud.com/michealmurray/cantaloupe-island not perfect by any means, so fire away with the critiques! Thanks :) Really enjoyed all the other versions so far as well!

Micheal

Woh, What an alto tone.

Very Nice sound. Control, timing, technique and funky. Your pacing is very good too.

Great Take.

daveysaxboy

Micheal

Fine job. Agree a nice alto sound. Good pace, nice in and out lines.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom