support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Nov 2014 Song of the Month - Big Band Blues

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
First pick in this new monthly series is down to me and I have chosen a backing track with no melody or words.

It's called "Big Band Blues" and you can download it from http://gc.guitarcenter.com/battleoftheblues/tracks/index.cfm (look towards the bottom of the right hand side).

Pete Anderson, who recorded these tracks mainly for guitarists, has kindly said the we can use his tracks here for non-profit purposes, so a big thank you to him for the resource.

He describes this track as "Inspired by a mid '50's Houston Texas big band blues ala Bobby ''blue'' Bland...dig deep major & minor pentatonic blues lick's ...deep shuffle ...let err rip! "

It's in a friendly key for saxophones, so let's hear what all of you blues players out there can do with it.

Rhys

Last edited:
I haven't looked yet but it must be a hard one if it's going to take 2 years to learn it

It's in a friendly key for saxophones, so let's hear what all of you blues players out there can do with it

I consider a key friendly when it's given vs me having to figure it out.. ;)

It should be an interesting month Rhys. I know a lot of guys have been
asking for a different type of blues track..

Chris..

Now I have install my PA and mircophones stands in my livingroom again. I don't like to play with headphones.

"Big Band Blues" is a good song, but "sax friendly keys" are strange for me. I'm used to struggle with concert E, B, A .... . We have to see how it comes out.

I think full bloodied rather than half hearted Mark, plus It was pretty good as well:thumb:

Chris..

Thanks Ivan Chris and Sue. Yes I'm my own worst critic. Don't usually do so many choruses. Much prefer to cut a few out to prevent the repetitive lick syndrome. Also yet to grasp the Sonar X2 wacky reverb settings since upgrading from version 8.
Looking forwards to some other interpretations,
cheers, Mark.
edit: thankyou mr. fibracell :)

Thanks jimmy. If you keep getting something positive out of it then it's worthwhile carrying on.
cheers, Mark.

I'm having trouble downloading the track. My laptop thinks the p3 is a photo.

I'm having trouble downloading the track. My laptop thinks the p3 is a photo.

It is a *.zip file called Big-Band-Blues.mp3.zip - maybe the extra dot is confusing your laptop.

What OS are you using and how are you trying to do the download ?

On my Windows laptop you can make the download by doing "Save As" to the directory location you want and you can try changing the file name to remove the extra dot if that is confusing your laptop.

Rhys

the double extension is soemthing that protection software sometimes stops from downloading, as it's been used to carry malware in the past.

Nice filthy dirty blues there Colin, now go disinfect your sax at once! Loved the vocals too ;)

Back
Top Bottom