support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Not counting any chickens

Before testing, empty cache and reload page one (hopefully last) time.

And click on "Mark Forums Read" at the bottom of the main forum index page.

Once there are new posts after that you can test.

A quick way to test:

Click on a thread with bold link (=unread posts). after looking through all pages of that thread, when you come back to the list the link to the thread should now be regula not bold (ie visited link status)

Also clicking an mark all forums read at bottom of page should show all empty coffee cup icons.

Hi Pete,

No loggin loops and everything seems to be as it was before the problem. Reminds me of that line from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
"Five to one against and falling..." she said, "four to one against and falling...three to one...two...one...probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality." She turned her microphone off – then turned it back on, with a slight smile and continued: "Anything you still can’t cope with is therefore your own problem."
So Pete what was the problem?

Again from The Hitchhiker's guide:
He reached out and pressed an invitingly large red button on a nearby panel. The panel lit up with the words Please do not press this button again

All the best,

Chris

P.S. if you ever decide to look into the development of the Mass Loaded PT Thong Ligature, you know where I am!

Hi Pete,

So Pete what was the problem?

Well, if I'm right, it was a line in the sites .htaccess file. This file does all the redirects from the old cafe pages which are now on Tamingthsaxophone.com

Nothing to do with vBulletin files or styles.

There is a workaround you can do to stop errors in IE6 when there are background images (such as the hover navigation buttons in the top menu)

It involves putting this code in that file on the server:

Code:
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/gif A2592000
ExpiresByType image/jpeg A2592000
ExpiresByType image/png A2592000

I was double checking the site on Windows IE6 (always a pain) and it was not working. So I looked up this fix and some sites suggest using it as above, but some also say include this:

Code:
ExpiresDefault A18000

That was the problem.

So I have taken it out, but have not yet checked the site in IE6 to see if it has problems.

Does anyone still use that? Probably.

Well, if I'm right, it was a line in the sites .htaccess file. This file does all the redirects from the old cafe pages which are now on Tamingthsaxophone.com

Nothing to do with vBulletin files or styles.

There is a workaround you can do to stop errors in IE6 when there are background images (such as the hover navigation buttons in the top menu)

It involves putting this code in that file on the server:

Code:
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/gif A2592000
ExpiresByType image/jpeg A2592000
ExpiresByType image/png A2592000

I was double checking the site on Windows IE6 (always a pain) and it was not working. So I looked up this fix and some sites suggest using it as above, but some also say include this:

Code:
ExpiresDefault A18000

That was the problem.

So I have taken it out, but have not yet checked the site in IE6 to see if it has problems.

Does anyone still use that? Probably.

Hi Pete,

Now that you point it out it's perfectly obvious :confused:. I had a similar problem with me various flanges and grommets and found a certain 'Tang Eau De Toilette' worked wonders.

My best to you Sir.

I thought it was me..

I'm running Chrome and had loads of problems recently. Seems OK today though.. for a few days now I've been "reloading" the page to break that "login" loop, Also the first page of the forum needs refreshing every time to show latest posts.. All started about a week ago I think.

It is, and also I have discovered an improvement

Having changed the type of thread mark read, all the threads you haven't read appear to stay in the New Posts area until you have read them. Before, they would disappear after a while, if say you went off to make a cup of coffee or take the cat for a walk.

EDIT:

The way "New Posts" works now (I think) is

• You must visit the actual page of the thread with new posts, e.g. the last page not the first one
  • If you then go back to new posts, that thread is now not in bold (=visited link)
  • If you close New Posts and reopen, that thread should be gone from the list
  • Your own new posts do not show up in the list

And all this should be immediate. If not working try one last time emptying cache, refresh browser and click "Mark Forums Read", then wait for new posts to test.

Thanks for all your patiences.

Back
Top Bottom