All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

North European Jazz Pt35............new release!

TomMapfumo

Hi Folks!

"Remembrance" - Ketil Bjornstad, Tore Brunborg & Jon Christensen (ECM 2010

I've been listening to some playing by Tore Brunborg - mainly Tenor Sax - very Garbarek like, indeed. Also discovered Ketil Bjornstad - piano - who has a beautiful style of writing and playing. My recommendation is his latest release "Remembrance" which features Tore on Tenor Sax and Jon Christensen on Drums. It is a classic ECM recording, bridging classical, folk and jazz. Remembrance is in 11 parts (I - XI) and a very thoughtful, reflective piece and wonderful listening. My favourite of the year so far.

If anyone likes Tenor Sax played at a slower speed then this is magical & beautiful at times.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
On the subject of the European Jazz tradition/ECM, can you recommend me a John Surman album to get my musical teeth into?

TomMapfumo

The "Road to St. Ives" should be an excellent starter for 10........!

Just off to walk the dog......

Lots of Love
Tom

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
I prefer Brewster's Rooster myself even tough I am particularly fond of Cornwall and visit St Ives at least twice a year.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I'd go for Brewster's Rooster too. My all-time favourite, though, is still the Trio album. Neither are very ECM though - how about Rain On The Window? Surman on bari, sop and bass clarinet and an Oslo church organ - very ECM.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Jules,
You like mental stuff. Have you got hold of any SOS recordings. Skidmore Osbourne Surman. Very rewarding if you hold on tight and don't wimp out.
Andy

TomMapfumo

I prefer Brewster's Rooster myself even tough I am particularly fond of Cornwall and visit St Ives at least twice a year.
I didn't realise that it was a competition - like what you like - I was simply asked for a personal recommendation of a John Surman record, not which one is considered "the best" of his records.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom