support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Clarinets Normandy France with covered toneholes

I've never played anything but Boehm system. Can't see a oxo/ooo on that chart. There would need to be mention of the thumb hole.
You are right: thumb hole is closed.
That fingering gives F first line (even if a bit sharp) and C two ledgers above the staff, with speaker key.

oxo/ooo no such fingering on clarinet. Lower register, C is xxx/ooo. F is thumb only or xxx/xxx/x..

Only on Boehm system. On Albert, Oehler and, as far as I know all earlier instruments it's oxo|ooo (plus thumb of course).

The instrument in question isn't a plateau Boehm system, or Ablert system it's a sax fingered clarinet.

oxo/ooo no such fingering on clarinet. Lower register, C is xxx/ooo. F is thumb only or xxx/xxx/x.

Having a thumb hole and a register key and the hop skip and jump across the 12th break and trill keys and alternative pinky fingerings for both hands and the range of alto sax and sop, it's no wonder the saxophone came along. The switch from clarinet to saxophone comes as a blessed relief. Switching the other way round must be a shock to the system.

It's a love hate relationship for me. Love it enough to keep trying but not enough to master it. Couldn't not play it though.

I (try to) play a seven keyed classical clarinet. You should try it. It'll make you appreciate the Boehm system a lot more.

You are right: thumb hole is closed.
That fingering gives F first line (even if a bit sharp) and C two ledgers above the staff, with speaker key.

You can usually tame the F with some combination of right hand fingers. On tarogato it's the other way round; the middle C is good but you need to open the G# key or use the side key for top C.

I have a few show pieces and can noodle in Bb and F. Not really what you'd call a clarinetist after 30 years
My own criterion for whether I'd call someone a clarinetist, saxophonist or whatever is whether people enjoy listening to him on that instrument. On clarinet Colin passes, notwithstanding that he's better on sax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom