Non elected dangerous idiots!

half diminished

Yep, Peter Mandelson for one. Has anyone found anything he's good at?

Here's another good one......Digital economy Bill

It seems half the legislation may end up being crafted, er I mean amended :) without even going before Parliament after the Law is passed. So, if you ever took a picture and placed it on the internet anywhere, somebody may well use it free of charge anywhere they like. Nice, way to go Mandy.

....... and another one The ICO and Photography in public places : clarification

So now all photography anywhere in public that contains an image of someone who might object is not allowed.

Good to see that CCTV is still OK though and all that DNA data that's been gathered on innocent people can still be retained indefinitely, and all the traffic data that's gathered by SPECS (and other) cameras is kept and of course DVLA data that's given out to any b@st@rd who asks for it and pays the fee just so they can issue you with a non enforceable parking fine.

And then there's the Terrorism Act, applied willy nilly where plod sees fit, not to mention Sections 43 and 44 and their miss-use. Don't you just love to be British.

Rant over. :(

jonf

Having a grumpy day, Ian?:D

You don't want to believe what you read on t'Internet, particularly on forums (fora?). Especially where most of the posts come from 'admin'. Don't worry, it'll all be alright. ;}

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Having a grumpy day, Ian?:D

You don't want to believe what you read on t'Internet, particularly on forums (fora?). Especially where most of the posts come from 'admin'. Don't worry, it'll all be alright. ;}
Oi ....and yes.

However, whilst I agree that not all on these fora (is that the right term :w00t:) is always gospel, there is miss-use of current legislation and this Government has presided over an erosion of civil liberties and as a photographer I am personally being harassed by joe public, plastic and real plod, security guards and the threatened with (the miss-use of) the Terrorism Act as I go about my lawful business of taking photographs in the streets and out and about around our Capitol and other cities.

As for the copyright issue for photographs, just you wait and see. There has been massive representation from all manner of professional organisation including the MPA, BPPA, BJP et al - all of which has been ignored. It's going to make life tougher for professional photographers and semi-pro. Even amateurs will have their work stolen with little or no redress under the terms of this new legislation.

Hitler only got is because people at the time went, yeh, nutter! He'll soon disappear. Yeh, right! You gotta fight.... for your right.... to paaaarty!

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Although an ex pro Industrial, I have a lot of sympathy with those who don't want to be photographed on the grounds that you are stealing their soul. :)

As for Peter Mandelwotsit, have been assured that he is a real sweetie and thought you would approve. ;}

Apparently, where his political predecessor and ancestor is buried, the locals cannot sleep at night from the sound of the ex relative rapidly rotating in his grave. :D

RedBottom

The photography thing makes me a bit grumpy too, being a keen amateur. Heard a good one last year about a PCSO trying to arrest a bloke for taking photos of his local high street - for a local newspaper competition themed around the town's streets!

Still, as far as I know, it's not actually illegal to take photos of people in public places - yet. It's a matter of manners. If people ask me not to take their photos, I don't - and that doesn't happen very often. I'm told that if the beak try to arrest you for it or try to make you delete the photos from your camera, you should ask to be taken to delete them at the police station with a solicitor present - because you probably won't have committed an offence in the first place.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
As you know we don't normally allow politics here so don't be surprised if the thread closes just as it gets "interesting".

But it's fine to discuss the stupidity of certain laws (it's just party politics that is the big nono for the forum).

BTW, IMO, the plural of forum is forums.

How many musea have we visited lately! :)

RedBottom

Actually, technically, the correct form is fora, according to the Latin (on which a good part of our English language is based and where the word comes from). But most people use forums and I think either form is right these days, given that language is a constantly evolving thing.

Museum, by the way, is from the Greek which, apparently, uses different rules of grammar, hence we don't have 'musea'. :)

OP
half diminished

half diminished

As you know we don't normally allow politics here so don't be surprised if the thread closes just as it gets "interesting".

But it's fine to discuss the stupidity of certain laws (it's just party politics that is the big nono for the forum).

How many musea have we visited lately! :)
This is not polical in the sense of Labour or Conservative or other, but the fact remain this current lot are supposed to be in charge and they seem to only be able to organise a p*ssup in a brewery where all the stuff is either claimed on expenses or nicked.

They want us scared and towing the line. I for one will not continue to do so. How about a little less 'privacy' between innocents and a lot more freedom for all!

Linky Lee

These 'stealth' taxes were widely reported before their implementation. I remember one particular article in a newspaper that used an average shopping basket (whatever that is) and compared the costs now (i.e before the tax changes), during (VAT cut but other tax increases) and the after.

If you look at all the taxes which were changed. Everything that was reduced was temporary, everything that went up was permanent. Very nice, thanks very much!

AdamBradley

I wrote a letter (closer to an essay, in fact) to my local mp about the digital economy bill, touching on how the proposed methods to crack down on pirate dowloading won't get anywhere to tackle the heart of the problem and instead just provide hearty invasion of privacy and grease the wheels for future restrictions on the freedom of data. I also took the opportunity to put the boot into mandelson, a man thrice resigned in disgrace yet still holding an unelected position of some considerable power.

My mp responded saying he'd sent my letter to Mandy itself. I got a response from one of mandy's lackeys, when I'm next at my pc I'll post it here should anyone be interested.

jadoube

Decades ago I decided the best solution was to accept the lot least likely to do (me) any good would be voted in. Its very effective. I've never been disappointed, and my personal plans have a built buffer against the inevitable nonsense.

Doesn't eliminate the irritation. I rant with similar fervour about the laws regarding privacy, photography, and the rest.

To maintain an even political stance I also rant about the other lot - who seem incapable of basic arithmetic. Twice been caught out in as many weeks, and with Mandelbratlike shamelessness maintain it doesn't matter.

Oh for the days when journalists and politicians were able to do basic arithmetic. Or at least felt guilty when they couldn't.

When did it become career enhancing to be innumerate? Surely being able to do simple sums counts as a traditional value? Or am I just a hopelessly out of touch mathematician? :confused:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Sad but true, the only truly effective government is absolute monarchy or dictatorship.

Equally sad and true, people get the government they deserve but on the brighter side, governments get the people they deserve.

Problem is they all started out with good intentions that becomes a conviction that only they are right. After thinking a little more, cries of "My brain hurts, Brian.", isn't that a reasonable description of us all?

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
hi

I'm trying very hard not to get involved in these post in a don't get me started sort of way,if only for the reason that any post I made would probably send Rogerb in to grammatical shock,

But on the subject of the powers that be 1984 was probably not a long way off.

John:w00t:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
But on the subject of the powers that be 1984 was probably not a long way off.
Yep, scary thing is we now have the technology, which was what spoiled the book for me. And the application of the technology, along Orwellian lines, is becoming more and more oppressive - all in the interests of 'security' of course.

AdamBradley

half diminished said:
Go on then give us a larf! Or will I just even more p*ss*d!
The latter. Pretty sure it was a template letter, it didn't actually deal with the questions and points raised. Like a real politician, should think mandy would be proud.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
"those who sacrifice their freedom for an illusion of security deserve neither freedom or security"... the very wise Benjamin Franklin

Living on a boat, does have its benefits. Sunshine not the only reason to head out! May the euro continue to decline, sorry kev. Of course, if we'd joined in the beginning our pounds would have been worth something! And then there's the 6 billion lost on the sale of our gold, the annual rape - 5 billion per annum of our pensions - I'm off for a cold shower, all this thread is doing is getting me too excited. Should have heeded the sage advice of Gladsaxisme and not got started.

Top Bottom