All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Non-Destructive Glue for Palm Key risers?

kuztardd

Locality
London
Hi All.
I have a set of the protec palm key risers.

They really work for me, but i do find they fall off occasionally.
I was thinking of somehow sticking them on but don't want to use a glue that would damage the sax.
I thought about using bathroom silicone but they still fell off as it doesnt stick to the silicone in the pal risers.

So, any advice on any type of glue that is good for silicone to sax?
Cheers

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Hi All.
I have a set of the protec palm key risers.

They really work for me, but i do find they fall off occasionally.
I was thinking of somehow sticking them on but don't want to use a glue that would damage the sax.
I thought about using bathroom silicone but they still fell off as it doesnt stick to the silicone in the pal risers.

So, any advice on any type of glue that is good for silicone to sax?
Cheers
Have you tried contacting Protec directly ?

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Contact cement is commonly used to glue cork and other materials to saxophone keys and necks and does not harm the lacquer. It is easily removed by rubbing or with a bit of naptha.

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
As Colin says sugru works and is removable. Another option is hot melt glue, not to stick on your risers, but built up as the riser itself. I've been doing this for ages. Cost is almost nothing and you can make it to whatever height and shape you want. Very similar to sugru, but much, much cheaper and readily available.

waldhol

Locality
Sorry, I do not know what "locality" means
The Protec risers are made of silicone rubber.
Most glues do not bond at all with that.
You may try transparent bathroom silicone sealant.
Put a tiny drop into the riser and slip it on.
Let it cure at room temperature for 24h before using it.
It should come off when needed.
Just peel away the remaining sealant using your fingernail.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
IMHO, the answer to your question is noted in reply #4. This is what Tech would do.

Sugru feels different from the risers the OP is satisfied with.

If the OP is satisfied with how the risers feel and perform, then all he needs is an adhesive which will keep them from sliding off but does not do any damage to the key finish (and I would add, is easily removable if necessary).

Contact cement fits that bill.
It is easy to apply and bonds in around 2 minutes....
Needs to be applied both to the key surface and the back of risers, then allowed to dry until 'tacky', not wet.

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
I just got off the phone with Protec. They are aware of the problem and officially do not recommend any adhesives. The problem being interaction to the variable finishes. Recommending a product is a liability and therefore they do not make any recommendations. Tech support services suggested trying an online forum:rolleyes:

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I would have thought that silicone windscreen sealer would work. Are palm keys lacquered? Mine all seem to be plated.

David Dorning

Locality
Chichester, UK
The Protec risers are made of silicone rubber.
Most glues do not bond at all with that.
You may try transparent bathroom silicone sealant.
Put a tiny drop into the riser and slip it on.
Let it cure at room temperature for 24h before using it.
It should come off when needed.
Just peel away the remaining sealant using your fingernail.
I have some rubber risers that slip over the key but tend to fall off. I wrap several turns of PTFE tape around the key and slip the riser over that, and it does the trick. No adhesive involved, although no possibility of sculpting the riser to an exact shape/size as you could with Sugru

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
I would have thought that silicone windscreen sealer would work. Are palm keys lacquered? Mine all seem to be plated.
There is all kinds of different finishes on palm keys. Silver plate, bare brass, lacquered brass, gold plate, nickel and nickel plated. As some have mentioned contact cement would be my first choice.

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom