All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

No Serial Number: Should I add an Id Number?

Rogerb

(I have a feeling I may have asked this previously...or maybe I nly thought about it!)
I just read the sad story of Chaz's stolen sax...
My lovely BW alto, being a 'one off', has no serial number and I was just wondering if I should have it marked with, say, my Spanish NIE number and/or my UK NI number, as an aid to a possible re-union, in the even of our being 'separated'?

(I obviously don't want to spoil its beauty, so it would have to be done professionally)

Any thoughts?

Justin Chune

My son used to mark his stuff with a security pen that could only be read under ultra violet light. So, no need for engraving.

Jim.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
You can get a DNA liquid that has an individual signature that leaves no marks.

Rogerb

The problem with many 'invisible' markers is that they aren't! If the thieves can see the marks, they can 'over-write' them.

Tell me more about 'DNA liquid', please Targa.... I can't find it on the 'net, at first go!

And what alternative Id would you use, Trimmy, which would be most likely to get us re-united? (Post codes are useless in Spain, and only temporary, anyway)
The 'authorities' could very easily match my NIE with my name and address ..... I doubt a sax-thief would try to steal my identity! ...and my NIE number is on 2 cards which I have to carry in my wallet., my residence & medical cards.
If it were too difficult to 'match' sax & owner, I doubt they (the finders) would bother to try.
It's a trade-off, isn't it.... ease of matching and returning versus 'data security'.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
You also need something obvious that the police can see and record. Hidden marks are hidden. I don't think you can expect the police to scan every piece of possibly stolen property with all the technologies available to see if there are hidden marks. Good for catching theives under certain circumstances, and good for ultimate proof, but in general on a sax, a unique, easily spotted serial number would be a better starting point. And if it's a Spanish ID number, it's likely that it has check digits, and if entered into an identity number system would firstly prevent most mistypes and secondly find the owner quickly.

trimmy

One day i will...
How about this http://www.sax.co.uk/acatalog/Sax_Security.html :thumb: don't know if it would cover spain ?

Last edited:

Rogerb

How about this http://www.sax.co.uk/acatalog/Sax_Security.html :thumb: don't know if it would cover spain ?
Well, it specifically says "throughout UK" so I assume, not...but thanks for the thought .... I really think a 'low-tech' approach would be best!

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
The problem with many 'invisible' markers is that they aren't! If the thieves can see the marks, they can 'over-write' them.

Tell me more about 'DNA liquid', please Targa.... I can't find it on the 'net, at first go!

Search for 'smartwater'.

Rogerb

Ah, yes, I have heard of that .... in the context of spraying it on burglars!
I'll havva look ...thanks.
>
>
I think it suffers the same problem as some other ideas ...only available in UK, and requires hi-tec equipment to 'interrogate' it ....as I've said, I doubt most 'recoverers' would bother.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom