All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities

No doubt a good theoretical reason

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
No doubt there is a good theoretical reason ... For the change from F# to Gb at [A]

7CFF6522-FB5F-4D1A-9B40-2897364BBB3D.jpeg

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
There must be. I eagerly await the explanation.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I doubt it. It's likely something the program (Sibelius or similar) did automatically for reasons of its own. It does seem particularly stupid.

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
You’d need to see the rest of the score to see if there is a reason for the eharmonic change

OP
MandyH

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
You’d need to see the rest of the score to see if there is a reason for the eharmonic change
I won’t get to see the score, but if I “feel” anything at tomorrow’s rehearsal, I’ll let you know!

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I’ve seen similar, but not with the one note just being a quaver which does seem stupid.

But when I have come across this with longer notes it was due to a change in harmony and in fact the intonation changed from F# to the Gb which caught me out at first.

Jazzaferri

Errrr....ummmmm.......maybe the arranger thought there is a different fingering that would sound different

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
I don’t know the actual arrangement but this would happen, and would be correct, if the chord changed from D major to Eb minor

fibracell

I've seen this with Sibelius, and very occasionally on my scores. I think that on the score there is an enharmonic change due to a chord spelling, and the arranger didn't check the actual transposed parts thoroughly. There's always some little error that you seem to miss, no matter how hard you try.

OP
MandyH

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Well, I didn’t feel anything!

But I won’t be playing it again!
I’ve been “promoted” ... from Tenor to Bari :cool:

tenorviol

Subscriber
tbh this seems to be a common issue with modern arrangements where the parts are generated by a software package such as Sibelius from the score.

jbtsax

Subscriber
I actually found the score for this arrangement and that enharmonic change from F# to Gb is not supported by the chord which is spelled E G Db over a C in the bass line. The chord does not change as it is tied over the bar.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
I actually found the score for this arrangement and that enharmonic change from F# to Gb is not supported by the chord which is spelled E G Db over a C in the bass line. The chord does not change as it is tied over the bar.
Then my speculation was wrong and that is just bad editing/copying.

tenorviol

Subscriber
I play a lot of classical music and you' think the parts would be correct. It's amazing how often you find errors in the parts - Kalmus editions are particularly notorious it seems...

Although famously, back around early 2000s musicologists went to the original manuscripts to produce a new 'definitive' edition of the Beethoven symphonies. In the publisher's archives they found the originals, with Beethoven's proof-reading comments. None of his corrections had been applied to the published version, which went someway to explaining certain oddities... and there were some glaring note errors...

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom