support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Night Train

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
A little experiment with the new thomann T Bone elvis.

The mix is a bit raw, it starts with a bump and the finish leaves you hanging and I forgot the words but what the hey lol

DeadAudiolink Removed

It definatelty has possibilities. It should be ok when I get use to it.

It's me growling through the tenor. The new mic is picking up the lower frequencies beeter. I did add quite bit of reverb and clicked the compression button on it too.

I think this mic might be best for live work. It punches out a fat sound through the Pa but it's a little quiet when it shows up on Audacity. Do I need some sort of pre amp?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's me growling through the tenor. The new mic is picking up the lower frequencies beeter. I did add quite bit of reverb and clicked the compression button on it too.

I think this mic might be best for live work. It punches out a fat sound through the Pa but it's a little quiet when it shows up on Audacity. Do I need some sort of pre amp?

Yea its a dynamic mic so its a lot more quiet than a condenser mic. Theres loads of pre amps very cheap. You will hear a difference. Don't have the phantom power on though, only for condenser mics.

yeah very nice. rock n roll! and i thought it was a bari too but anyway it sounds real nice! is that you singing?

Yes. Me singing. Still trying to find my voice.

Your voice sounds great to me too,just nothing like hearing you talk, had a bit of a play with Night Train myself the other day, looks simple but the phrasing's a bit tricky for me ....will persevere .....John

It's surprising how something so simple sounding turns out to be so challenging harmonically and rhythmically. I find it's easy to solo over by running about with a blues scale but I find the head needs careful attention, playing and singing, because it doesn't go where I expect it to. Still working on it. I have an idea it would sound good multi tracked with saxophones but I can't get my head round the Eb part lol.

It's surprising how something so simple sounding turns out to be so challenging harmonically and rhythmically. I find it's easy to solo over by running about with a blues scale but I find the head needs careful attention, playing and singing, because it doesn't go where I expect it to. Still working on it. I have an idea it would sound good multi tracked with saxophones but I can't get my head round the Eb part lol.

I'm really going to have to get to grips with these blues scales it's sonething I've never done...john

Wow, really great Colin! Both the singing and playing. How long have you been singing? You can definitely do what I think is called "shaping the resonant cavity", getting that kind of full and beefy sound. About the vocals though, on a couple of occasions (about 2:00 for instance) I think you're dropping the larynx a bit too low, or obstructing with your tongue too much, resulting in a somewhat muffled tone.

I've been singing all my life. School choir, in the car ,in the bath etc. I tried a bit of singing up the folk club with varying amounts of success. The last 5 years I've been driving a dump truck. Some sites are poor radio reception and a lot of the trucks don't even have a radio. It gets very dull. I entertain myself by singing. Singing over a 16 litre straight six turbo diesel straining up a 1 in 1 gradient with 40 ton of muck on the back seems to have strengthened my voice lol.

I find my voice a little odd. I'll be going along nicely and suddenly find one note won't come out. If it was the saxophone doing this I'd be having a look at the regulation or something. Not a lot you can do with the voice apart from trying to incorporate the glitch in the phrasing or finding another route round it.

I find my voice a little odd. I'll be going along nicely and suddenly find one note won't come out. If it was the saxophone doing this I'd be having a look at the regulation or something. Not a lot you can do with the voice apart from trying to incorporate the glitch in the phrasing or finding another route round it.

Are you sure you're not just moving from chest voice to head voice naturally, and sometimes "miss" a note smack in the middle of the register break? In the recording you seemed to employ a pretty wide range of notes, and I just assumed the song fit your natural chest voice range perfectly, since the high notes didn't sound any different in quality than the other ones.

The notes around the passaggio are always the most difficult ones, as you've probably heard a lot of times before. A lot of times, especially after a longer session of singing, I find I lose the highest chest notes / lowest head notes every now and then. For me, a bass, those passaggio notes are around the D or E right above middle C.

I think you sound great Colin, vocally and with the sax (though it could be higher in the mix) and that is a nice rockin' backing you used there!