All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs NickH's mouthpiece hunt

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Morgan Fry is a Mouthpiece re-finisher (he also makes the things) and one of the most reknown . he`ll take a modern mass produced Link like your Tone edge or my Super-tone-master metal and make them play and sound like the classic better era florida links of old (the ones which fetch silly cash on E-Bay) ...

nickh

Locality
Peak District. Uk
Morgan Fry is a Mouthpiece re-finisher (he also makes the things) and one of the most reknown . he`ll take a modern mass produced Link like your Tone edge or my Super-tone-master metal and make them play and sound like the classic better era florida links of old (the ones which fetch silly cash on E-Bay) ...

Ahhhh.. Thanks for clarifying that!

Would it be worth doing that at this point in time?

This might be getting off topic a bit but Alastair at hansons seemed too think I'd be on a number 6 mouthpeice in a year or so's time. I didn't quite understand how it works but as you progress as a player and get better embrochure do you need higher numbered mouthpieces?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
There is no rule on the tip opening.
6 is now considered pretty close, but it was the standard until about 1960. "anyone playing with more than a 7 was considered a nutter" (WG).
Now it is common to play a 9 or even more, but 7* is still the most common facing on tenor.

Big opening are more difficult to control and can be tiring.
You could play a 6 forever, if it works for you.

@Morgan Fry is also a member here and, apart from being specialized in modifying Otto Link mouthpieces (they can be a pain), makes some great suff, including some PPT mouthpieces:
http://www.morganfrymouthpieces.com/

• Agree
Reactions: Ads

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich

Wrong. He'll make it play a lot better, but keep that sound.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Ahhhh.. Thanks for clarifying that!

Would it be worth doing that at this point in time?

This might be getting off topic a bit but Alastair at hansons seemed too think I'd be on a number 6 mouthpeice in a year or so's time. I didn't quite understand how it works but as you progress as a player and get better embrochure do you need higher numbered mouthpieces?

Sorry, didn't realise it was a tone edge.

What you need in a Mouthpiece is something that's easy to play, yet responsive and with enough flexibility that it doesn't force your sound in a particular direction.

What tends to happen is that you start on starter pieces which are easy to play, neutral, but limited in terms of what they can do. So you end up 12 months (or less) later going on a Mouthpiece hunt. And because you started on a bland, narrow tipped one, bigger tips are difficult to control so you buy a medium tip and upgrade again later.

People vary. Some struggle to play a 5 when they're learning, others start on a 7 without problems. Neither can understand the other's problems and we get people from both camps offering conflicting advice here. Good thing is that you've got a good start with something you're comfortable with.

My comment about Morgan was a bit tongue in cheek, sorry. But his floridated links offer what I described above. Not too difficult for a beginner, but good enough not to limit a pro.

Why bigger tips? More flexibility, different sound. You can play a wide tip as if it's narrow by closing the reed down. But you can't do the opposite. Going up from a 5 to a 6 is fairly pointless IMHO. There's not much to be gained, it's more fine tuning.

What's important though is what suits you, not the biased opinion of someone like me on a forum.

nickh

Locality
Peak District. Uk
Thanks for that. I must have caught the sax bug bad as I find all this talk of mouthpieces pretty interesting ;-)

The 7 I tried was just too difficult too blow. I definitely prefer the tone edge 5 too the yamaha 4c. Interestingly my kids (bassoonists!) could blow the sax on the 4c mouthpiece but cant' get much out of the ottolink 5. My embrochure must have developed in the last few weeks I think.

I took a look at the Morgan fry site. Which is very informative and beautifully designed. Definitely something too look at in the future I think.

What's important though is what suits you, not the biased opinion of someone like me on a forum.

Absolutely agree. I'm glad I just didn't take a punt on eBay. There really is no substitute for spending some quality time playing different saxes, reeds and mouthpieces. Sure is fun nattering about it too though.

Last edited:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Interestingly my kids (bassoonists!) could blow the sax on the 4c mouthpiece but cant' get much out of the ottolink 5. My embrochure must have developed in the last few weeks I think.

This is really interesting. I assume bassoonists have a firmer embouchure, while what I like about Links is that the allow a relaxed approach.
But I might be totally wrong.

Talking mouthpieces? Welcome to the sax world.

Just to fuel some GAS, in the Otto Link direction, I use this cafesaxophone approved (many of us use his pieces, and he makes the PPT Onyxite) maker: http://www.pillingermouthpieces.co.uk/

nickh

Locality
Peak District. Uk
Thanks for that link. I can see this mouthpiece thing could get a little out of hand!

Did quite a bit of playing today and the 2.5 reed in the ottolink felt quite tiring. I thought two things changing at once might be a bit of a big jump so i changed to a 2 reed (Vandoren Green Java) and it felt easier too blow. So might stick with that for a while.

One thing i have noticed with the ottolink is thats it's made of much harder material than the 4c, my teeth seem too tingle after using it. I'm not sure if there are softer materials that are used or whether its something i'll just get used too.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Get a patch on it to cushion your teeth and to stop them boring holes in it. Make sure you're not biting or leaning on the mouthpiece with your top incisors.

nickh

Locality
Peak District. Uk
thanks!! just taken the patch off the 4c and used that for now.. super comfy.

i now wish this thread was in the beginners section :)

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Thanks for that link. I can see this mouthpiece thing could get a little out of hand!.

quite easily , some here absolutely love the thrill of the chase and have more mouthpieces than socks , never end buying and trying new ones , personally I find looking for the things tiresome , probably because I`d run with the same piece for decades and when I changed my tenor sax (a year ago) there wasn`t a local shop to "line `em`up" and try them to find what fits . I`ve certainly never been interested in having a drawer full of the things . thankfully I`ve found one for tenor which is pretty close and my two Alto ones are perfect .

nickh

Locality
Peak District. Uk
Ha. Just looking at those links and various other mouthpieces. I'm beginning to realise that the mouthpiece is as important as the sax itself. I'm gasping at the prices though! I thought the £120 i paid for the ottolink was going some!

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
I put a capping on my mouthpiece cost: not more than £250 (stretchable). This leave a lot of great pieces inside the price range.
Your Otto Link can go a long way, though.

• Congratulations
Reactions: Jay

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
In order of effect on sound - player, mouthpiece, neck, sax

Sax has little effect compared to the others and it's why a good player can make a poor sax sound great. Much more important about the sax is the keywork/action.

The more expensive mouthpieces are hand finished, or hand made, play tested and adjusted. And it's the time of the highly skilled craftsman that makes them expensive.

Then you get to Boutique level - Many of us can't/won't pay those prices. The new D'Addarios are incredibly good for machine made mouthpieces. And very fairly priced.

Fraser Jarvis

Nick, before you let anyone try and talk you into spending hundereds on fancy "boutique" mouthpieces they just aint worth it btw, check out Sakshama Koloski over in the US, he makes a broad range of mouthpieces including coppies of your link, Sakshama also makes various coppies of Guardala's and a few more, very well thought of over there and not at all expensive.

nickh

Locality
Peak District. Uk
I'm not going too be buying anything for a while. Im just pleased i'm able too blow something more open than the 4c at the moment. Changing moothpieces has got me interesting in how they effect the sound though. I guess as my embrochure develops i'll inevitably get into trying out different mouthpeices.

I had a quick chat with Marshall Allen in the bar at the Sun Ra Arkestra gig in Manchester recently. Should have asked him what brand he used!

But i guess its different for everybody really, thats the challenge!

Last edited:

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
But i guess its different for everybody really, thats the challenge!

You've got it now!

nickh

Locality
Peak District. Uk
By the way thanks for the D'Addario and Sakshama Koloski ideas. Will investigate and bookmark.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom