Nice to be heard. :-)

Discussion in 'Your soundclips' started by Sopranoplanet, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sopranoplanet

Sopranoplanet Member

Positive Ratings:
    +82
    It was a wonderful surprise to receive an email today from Cindy McGuirl, the niece of the great drummer Paul Motian. Cindy has a radio program dedicated to her Uncle Paul and I was pleased to have her email telling me she would be playing one of my tracks on her show. I've been a Paul Motian fan since his original trio ( w/ Charles Brackeen and David Izenzon), and actually heard him play at the original Woodstock festival in 1969. With whom? You might be surprised (or not) to learn it was with Arlo Guthrie. :)

The track Cindy selected is ABACUS, a great Motian composition. I recorded it with NY drummer Todd Capp and bassist Reuben Radding.at Park West Studios, Brooklyn.

View: https://soundcloud.com/joe-giardullo/abacus

• Like Like x 7
    • Cool Cool x 2
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Nice heard Forum Date
    "Nice" Your soundclips Mar 27, 2017

3. Jazzaferri

Jazzaferri Well-Known Member

Positive Ratings:
    +862
    Sweet Joe

4. Jeanette

Jeanette Organizress Cafe Moderator

Positive Ratings:
    +6,678
    I enjoyed that thanks Joe

Jx

5. Andrew Sanders

Andrew Sanders Northern Commissioner for Caslm

Positive Ratings:
    +1,289
    I love Paul Motian with Joe Lovano, Bill Frisell and now our Joe. Excellent!

6. Sopranoplanet

Sopranoplanet Member

Positive Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks, all, for the "thumb's up". The trio with Reuben and Todd was so great and that recording session was amazing. A record company exec attended and before the session was completed, made me an offer to release it on his label. As things would have it, it was never consummated and never released, which is a great sadness to me. But, it would have disappeared into the abyss anyway. What I love about the way this ABACUS unfolded is the rhythmic cascades, meter against meter, unplanned completely. But Reuben and Todd are unsung masters, and it was effortless really. One take. Done. No rehearsal. As for Paul Motian, his compositions are often petite gems of inference, and they require investigation to reveal themselves fully. Like Monk. Like Lacy. And, for Motian fans... his beautiful little black drum set now resides in Joe Lovano's home studio- so cool to see it there. :)