Tutorials

Reeds News: I'm now a Legere Endorser

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
After a long time of not wanting to be an endorser of anything, I have now become a Legere Artist.

I have avoided saxophone sponsorships as I prefer the advice on my site to be independent, but with reeds, well, I never recommended any reeds anyway, it's whatever suits you.

Hopefully I will be able to help with any questions you may have about Legere.

jake

No questions but just to say, further to previous comments I have made elsewhere on the forum, that Legere provide excellent customer service. And no, I am not a Legere endorser (fat chance).
I had problems with the consistency of Tenor Signature reeds, posted these back to Canada where they were measured and one of the reeds was wrongly labelled. I did not ask about the other two. Legere replaced all three.
Oh, and congratulations, Pete.

Rogerb

OK, Pete, here's your starter for 10!

I usually use Jazz#2, LaVoz Soft or RJS2S reeds, so ordered a Sig Alto#2.
I like its sound, except that I appear to have developed an unwanted 'vibrato/tremolo' ......It doesn't close-up in the higher notes.
Does this suggest it is just a tad too soft?
They are too expensive to experiment-with too much!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
OK, Pete, here's your starter for 10!

I usually use Jazz#2, LaVoz Soft or RJS2S reeds, so ordered a Sig Alto#2.
I like its sound, except that I appear to have developed an unwanted 'vibrato/tremolo' ......It doesn't close-up in the higher notes.
Does this suggest it is just a tad too soft?
They are too expensive to experiment-with too much!

(EDITED out incorrect reference to Signature)

I've never heard of a reed causing unwanted vibrato, I imagine there is something you are doing subconsciously, and this particular reed translates that into sound, whereas other reeds don't. It does sort of impl;y the reed might be too soft, but i wouldn't bet on it.

rhysonsax

I have to admit that I don't like the Signature. I will have to test them some more when I get time so I probably not really able to answer that.

Are you on Studio Legere now Pete ? I thought it was the Signature model that turned you on to Legere and had assumed that you carried on playing that.

I have had a really good Studio and then several less good, now I prefer the sound of the Signature on tenor and alto, but am also having trouble with inconsistency between reeds.

Rhys

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Are you on Studio Legere now Pete ? I thought it was the Signature model that turned you on to Legere and had assumed that you carried on playing that.

I have had a really good Studio and then several less good, now I prefer the sound of the Signature on tenor and alto, but am also having trouble with inconsistency between reeds.

Rhys

You are totally correct, I wrote that the wrong way round! Too much coffee.

AndyB

I bought 2 Legere reeds and for some reason the both cut my lip at the edge of the mpc (Link 7*). The only other reed that caused that problem for me was a FibraCell when it got old and flared out on the edge.

Rogerb

(EDITED out incorrect reference to Signature)

I've never heard of a reed causing unwanted vibrato, I imagine there is something you are doing subconsciously, and this particular reed translates that into sound, whereas other reeds don't. It does sort of impl;y the reed might be too soft, but i wouldn't bet on it.

OK, thanks, I'll give it another go ...perhaps trying to take-in a bit more/less mouthpiece, and different lig settings ...and some long tones, of course!
It just suddenly 'appeared from nowhere', after I'd been playing the reed a while ....it sounds just like a fairly high-frequency 'tremble' in the note.

(I also have a slightly more open mpc en route which it might like better than my Mpc Cafe .076)

AndyB

I bought 2 Legere reeds and for some reason the both cut my lip at the edge of the mpc (Link 7*). The only other reed that caused that problem for me was a FibraCell when it got old and flared out on the edge.

Actually its more of an abrasion that a cut, but I guess this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Rogerb

Mine has 'gone missing' .... temporarily, I hope. They are very unobtrusive...little strips of clear plastic....... I don't want to haveta go through the vacuum's bag contents!!!

koumou

I bought two Legere Signature reeds for my tenor. A #3 and a 2 3/4. I use either the one or the other depending on the mouthpiece used. I recently bought a 2 1/2 to use with mouthpieces for which the other two were to hard. To my surprise, it turned out to be harder than the other two. I noticed that the machine marks are also more course on this one. I am rather dissapointed about this inconsistency, as the cost is to high to play around with.

Attachments

• Legere Sig Reed_cr.jpg
    Legere Sig Reed_cr.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 109

Rogerb

I would send the new one and the 2.75 to Légère, explaining as you have done here.
If it were not so unlikely (IMO), I'd have said that the newest one was a fake ....the differences in appearance are glaringly obvious!!

Good luck ....I'll be surprised if Légère's Customer Service don't 'put things right'.
Please keep us updated ....by the way, from where did you obtain the latest one?

Last edited by a moderator:

koumou

Hello Roger,

I've sent Legere an e-mail, I'll wait and see what they have to say. Meanwhile I also posted about it in SOTW and from what others say it seems that the one on the bottom is the newer version which is also harder in strength.

koumou

I recently returned a size 2.5 tenor and alto Legere Signature that were to hard. They sent me 4 reeds 2 for each sax, 21/4 and 21/2. They all play very well.

Great customer service.

Fraser Jarvis

I recently returned a size 2.5 tenor and alto Legere Signature that were to hard. They sent me 4 reeds 2 for each sax, 21/4 and 21/2. They all play very well.

Great customer service.
I wanted one in 2.1/4 a little while ago but found nobody had any, are they freely available now?

Gallen

Hi Fraser, I think reeds-direct has them, you may want to check them out?

In other news, I got a new legere signature alto #2.5, my 3rd #2.5 reed and it plays similar to my old ones.

Top Bottom