newby from South Shields

finchyblues

Hi all,

I was bought my first ever alto sax on Tuesday night :w00t: hurrah!

Have never played before but I already play the flute and used to play the clarinet so I'm starting to get some tunes out already. I'm going to get some lessons soon - once i've ironed out a few more squeaks (eek!) and hope to be playing some great jazz and serinading the neighbours very soon :)

Get ready for lots of questions being posted from me very soon!!!

Gem

OP
F

finchyblues

thanks

Hi guys,

thanks for the welcome! I've just been downloading Baker street as the person who bought me the sax wants me to play it :) lots of sharps and accidentals - it may take a while!

Gem

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to the cafe, good luck with Baker Street, once you get it, it's a doozie! And whats more, people love to hear it! (Just never play it in a sax shop:))))

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Helllllllooooooo, from Marsden, SOUTH SHIELDS.There's 2 of us sand dancers now,yeee haaaa, I WILL HAVE A FISHY WHEN THE BOAT COMES IN.Who you getting lessons from,Tommy Moran my old teacher is the guy to see.

Phil Edwards

Hi and welcome to the cafe. You'll be up and running in no time, have fun, shout if you get stuck,

Beware that Daveysaxboy... You might have just bought your first alto, but if you listen to him you'll half-a-dozen by Easter. How is that new years resolution Dave??? Bought any more this week?

Phil

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Hi and welcome to the cafe. You'll be up and running in no time, have fun, shout if you get stuck,

Beware that Daveysaxboy... You might have just bought your first alto, but if you listen to him you'll half-a-dozen by Easter. How is that new years resolution Dave??? Bought any more this week?

Phil
Strange you should say that but i am waiting at the door now for my new THEO WANNE DURGA alto mp to come and my tenor Theo Durga next week,you do have a point Phil.I am a basket case.Got my new Mauriat tenor a week and a half ago so forget about the new years thing,it's best i do.New durga today,yeeeeee haaaaaaaa, THERE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY I SAY,THERE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TomMapfumo

As Brucie would say "Good Gem, Good Gem !!" :welldone
Welcome to the Cafe from the dizzy heights of Tyneside. Love the jackets!:w00t:

Hope you find a meaningful life playing Alto Sax - you've left the best Woodwind til last!
Kind regards

Tom:cool:

OP
F

finchyblues

Davey - i live at the law top - not very far away from you at all! i haven't looked for a teacher yet, would you be able to pass Tommy's details on to me? If i couldnt find a teacher i was thinking of having a chat with Kenny who sometimes plays his sax in the Sandancer - don't know if you've heard him before?
I'm busy playing a few songs (have upgraded from merrily we roll along on day 1 to you are my sunshine on day 2 :) ) and getting the notes out, mostly in the right order when my fingers aren't being dislexic, although the sound isn't that great yet, although i don't expect too much only on day 3!

Mamos - I've got an alto stagg 77-SA - this means very little to me but it looks pretty and is mine to play whenever i want - neighbours permitting ;}
And Taz I'll be sure to heed your advice of playing Baker street in the shop - i dont want a lot of angry musicians chasing me along the street! :)))

Everyone else who's replyed - thanks so much for making me feel so welcome, i never thought i'd feel part of a sax community so soon!

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Gem.

welcome to the cafe from sunny Manchester,and it actually is very sunny this morning, I usually lie about that.

Baker Street eh isn't it the one we all want to play? Me Too then I got the music and it was an immediate FORGET THAT THEN!!!

Good luck with the sax and enjoy it...John

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Strange you should say that but i am waiting at the door now for my new THEO WANNE DURGA alto mp to come and my tenor Theo Durga next week,you do have a point Phil.I am a basket case.Got my new Mauriat tenor a week and a half ago so forget about the new years thing,it's best i do.New durga today,yeeeeee haaaaaaaa, THERE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY I SAY,THERE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi daveysaxboy

You haven't been anywhere near Manchester have you because I seem to have caught this sax buying BUG from somewhere.

Mauriats are out of my league thank goodness but I can't stop buying oldie cheapies off ebay I wonder if there is a sax buyers annonimus anywhere.

I'm going to have to put the brakes on...john

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Col

Hi Gem. Welcome. You should be on a flyer if you've already played flute and clarinet. Good luck.
And it's right about Baker Street. When I bought a new sax from Nachoman at Sax.Co down South here, he told me I could try any tune but that.
Colin

Top Bottom