All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

New

Jamesmac

Hi to all
and would like to introduce myself, **** I sound so formal, anyways , I am a new convert to the sax, about three years now, and play a sop s880 and a black 901alto that I am not to sure about, thinking of changing the alto but love my S880 . Played Clarinet most of my life starting in the military, then worked in Germany in orchestras. Anyway pleased to join the cafe. yani

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Dear Mr Jamesmac.

On behalf of the management I would sincerely like to welcome you to this forum. We have a comprehensive range of services and a comprehensive set of rules.

Please make use of our services at your convenience and be sure to abide by the rules at all times.

Now throw your bowler in the bin, let your hair down and have fun!

Jamesmac

Hi
I had the pleasure of playing for the band in you home town. Ie. Royal Millitary College duntroon.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to the cafe, dude, like the first dude said, man, let your hair down (not many of the older members can still do this) chill out and have fun!

TomMapfumo

Hi There!

A Big Formal Welcome to the Cafe from the Lairds of Skabertawe, down by yer in Wales, mind. So what don't you like about the A901? I traded my T901 as I felt that the sound was a little too bright and anaemic in terms of what I wanted from a Tenor Sax.

Anyway, god to have you on board - though it is a cafe, not a ship! I look forward to hearing how you get on, playing tyhe sax on civvy street with us fellow mortals!

Kind regards
Tom

Jamesmac

Hi Tom
About the A901 , well a bit of history, I really enjoyed the sound of my Conn Ladyface but couldn't come to terms with the key work, so got a student Yamaha YAS-23 as a stop gap, while trying some new Yanisagawa altos, With my MP which was a selmer soloist C* which seemed to do the job.
I thought my prayers had been answered when a s/hand 901 came up at a great price. When I went to try it, it turned out to be a black model and needed a bit of work, and although I wasn't impressed I bought it thinking once adjusted and a few pads, should be ok.
Many MPs later I am not totally happy with the sound, despite the ease of playing with this black 901

Jamesmac

Hi
yes, was given it at birth. Means son of ie. McDonald ... Son of Donald... So those hamburgers are from the son of Donald. Can I ask you to comment on the 901 reply. Thanks

TomMapfumo

Hi James!

My take on the T901 was that the sound was thinner than I wanted and I struggled to really improve that, which is why I exchanged it for my current tenor. Intonation was good, it was a light sax with compact keywork and did not require much air to get it going, but it was difficult to find a mouthpiece/lig/reed combo that worked well with it. I eventually settle on a Francois Louis Spectruoso ML 280 mouthpiece, FL lig and FL excellence reeds, but found the sound a little too anaemic for my taste. I also bought the bronze 192 neck which made a slight difference, but they were all sold.

Obviously sound is a personal choice, and I am really happy with my current set up which seems to produce a more substantial and characterful sound to my ears. Can't say much more.

Both my altos I really love - currently playing the Buffet which is just superb. My friend, who works for Howarth did a recent comparison between the Buffet T400 and the T901 found the keywork virtually identical and preferred the Buffet sound. The altos both produce a deep rich sound, with edge when pushed.

Hope this helps
Tom

Jamesmac

Hi Tom
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate you taking the time.
The point you make re. When you push you get more edge, I find with the black 901 you just get more of the same, which is probably better for classical playing.
Although I am a classical clarinetist, I like the alto to do what the sax is great at , playing modern music with edge and expression.

The buffet 400 Now on my , to try list, but the standard lacquered A901 that I tried previously at sax.co.uk did have more edge.
I recently bought a YAS-23 on eBay as I have decided to sell on the black 901 , and
Use it until I find an alto that suits me, and I have found it sound wise more in the direction I like, although it's an old instrument and feels like it.

Jamesmac

Hi Tom
I read the buffet 400 article and found it very informative, I agree with the chaps comment that we are generally biased towards the big four manufacturers, especially selmer players. ( sorry to all selmer devotees) but I think it is a fact.
Perhaps we should listen to old William S. when Romeo in the play, says What's in a Name. I suppose the business minded would say. Resale value.

Justin Chune

Hi James, and a warm welcome to the cafe. I've just bought a YAS23 as well, and I won't be selling it anytime soon.

Jim.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom