support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

New Zealand ahoy!

MarkSax

Locality
UK
So we’re talking Brexit and corrupt politicians and how we the general populace are subject to the whims of those in power always working for big business with a view to joining them after their term of office and us taxpayers left to fill the crevasses they leave behind. Since the whole world seems to have turned that way, especially now, I was thinking it’s time to emigrate. Having passed through 3 countries in the past year: the land of the free, the oldest democratic parliament and ‘paradise on earth’ which were all rotten, New Zealand and her gorgeous PM beckon.
Are you a New Zealander? Please tell me more about your sweet or sour life down under and whether it’s really worth my upping everything to move to a country where the given impression is that the government actually works for the people. All comments welcome.

I know guy out there who builds boats but he made his money first doing loft conversions in London. I understand that Tasmania is very nice if you have a 1950s mindset. Very peaceful according to my informant, a Tasmanian, who also went back but he didn't make quite so much money first. Nobody locks their doors he told me.

There's a fair bit of corruption in New Zealand. Buildings that should have survived the Christchurch earthquake didn't because it turned out they were not correctly built and assorted bribes were paid to get them through the regulations...
The speed limit is a rigidly enforced 60mph. You can be in the middle of nowhere, put your foot down and get done! Everybody is very happy when there is a murder - it gives the police something to do so people can drive fast.

The gun laws are surprisingly lax. Great fun!

Courtesy of a mate of mine that lived there for 10 years.

There's a fair bit of corruption in New Zealand. Buildings that should have survived the Christchurch earthquake didn't because it turned out they were not correctly built and assorted bribes were paid to get them through the regulations...
The speed limit is a rigidly enforced 60mph. You can be in the middle of nowhere, put your foot down and get done! Everybody is very happy when there is a murder - it gives the police something to do so people can drive fast.

The gun laws are surprisingly lax. Great fun!

Courtesy of a mate of mine that lived there for 10 years.
LOL

Lol. My bike struggles to reach 50.

Last edited:
Having passed through 3 countries in the past year: the land of the free, the oldest democratic parliament and ‘paradise on earth’ which were all rotten, New Zealand and her gorgeous PM beckon.
Is that the oldest - Iceland, or the oldest continuous - Isle of Man?

Haha, you googled it. I should have said one of the oldest parliamentary democracies. England.
No, didn't need to, always had an interest in Norse legends and Viking history.

I guess I'm the only person living in new Zealand to answer (so far). First: "every paradise has it's flies". Good quote to remember! I wouldn't look to any government as a guiding light as governments change, sometimes rapidly. What's more important is the culture, people, environment, etc.

I emigrated here 40 years ago from the USA. I prefer the culture, attitude, lack of people, impotency of the government (gateway to Antarctica?). Nobody is looking to spend the $$ to conquer NZ because they can buy whatever they want cheaper than a military campaign to steal it. Few resources to covet unless you really like sheep. The north is somewhat mild, and the south quite cold (like Tasmania). There's still lots of areas where people don't lock their doors. Tolerance is high for different cultures and not too many people trying to sell you their religion. Big smiles when I think about the difference between USA politics and NZ. Can you imagine having a President of the USA who is a single unmarried mother?
The good bits:
1. Not considering itself the center of the know universe or the biggest and best at anything...except rugby.
2. Lots of pretty scenery and a huge coastline. Ideal for water sports, sailing, fishing, etc.
3. Lots of hikes, tracks, parks.
4. People relatively friendly and helpful, especially outside of towns/cities.
5. Good food, wine, and mostly very fresh fish, meat, veggies, etc. available year round.

The bad bits:
1. Housing in many areas is very expensive due to influx of population (mostly immigration) and the people buying housing instead of investing in other classes of assets. Starting to cause a divide between have and have nots.
2. Not as clean and green as supposed. Pollution from diary and other land uses is killing rivers, lakes and ground water.
3. Auckland is a festering heap due to poor planning and creaking infrastructure (water, sewers, small inadequate roads, etc.) It's grown too fast and is becoming an undesirable place to live due to crowding, traffic, etc. No vision for the future and no hope.
4. A poor attitude when it comes to land management with the mentality of "my grandfather" farmed this way so I will too". The forests were cleared for farming in the style of "Jolly Old England", except that it's steep land (unlike most of England) and subject to heavy rain with erodible soils. Much of the country's topsoil has already been washed into the ocean. A slow motion disaster.
5. It's a very active landscape geologically. In England or the USA it used to be (still is?) printed in the inside cover of phone books what to do in case of an Atomic Attack. In NZ it's Earthquakes and Volcanic Eruptions. The chance of a nuclear war can come or go with political situations. Earthquakes and Volcanic eruptions definitely will happen.
6. Wages are low compared to other similar western countries with the cost of living high (mainly due to housing).

If you can live independently outside of a big city and enjoy the "outdoors lifestyle" then it's pretty good. If you have an ordinary job and come from another western country it will be expensive and you're going to take a hit to your income.

Hope this helps.

I guess I'm the only person living in new Zealand to answer (so far). First: "every paradise has it's flies". Good quote to remember! I wouldn't look to any government as a guiding light as governments change, sometimes rapidly. What's more important is the culture, people, environment, etc.

I emigrated here 40 years ago from the USA. I prefer the culture, attitude, lack of people, impotency of the government (gateway to Antarctica?). Nobody is looking to spend the $$ to conquer NZ because they can buy whatever they want cheaper than a military campaign to steal it. Few resources to covet unless you really like sheep. The north is somewhat mild, and the south quite cold (like Tasmania). There's still lots of areas where people don't lock their doors. Tolerance is high for different cultures and not too many people trying to sell you their religion. Big smiles when I think about the difference between USA politics and NZ. Can you imagine having a President of the USA who is a single unmarried mother?
The good bits:
1. Not considering itself the center of the know universe or the biggest and best at anything...except rugby.
2. Lots of pretty scenery and a huge coastline. Ideal for water sports, sailing, fishing, etc.
3. Lots of hikes, tracks, parks.
4. People relatively friendly and helpful, especially outside of towns/cities.
5. Good food, wine, and mostly very fresh fish, meat, veggies, etc. available year round.

The bad bits:
1. Housing in many areas is very expensive due to influx of population (mostly immigration) and the people buying housing instead of investing in other classes of assets. Starting to cause a divide between have and have nots.
2. Not as clean and green as supposed. Pollution from diary and other land uses is killing rivers, lakes and ground water.
3. Auckland is a festering heap due to poor planning and creaking infrastructure (water, sewers, small inadequate roads, etc.) It's grown too fast and is becoming an undesirable place to live due to crowding, traffic, etc. No vision for the future and no hope.
4. A poor attitude when it comes to land management with the mentality of "my grandfather" farmed this way so I will too". The forests were cleared for farming in the style of "Jolly Old England", except that it's steep land (unlike most of England) and subject to heavy rain with erodible soils. Much of the country's topsoil has already been washed into the ocean. A slow motion disaster.
5. It's a very active landscape geologically. In England or the USA it used to be (still is?) printed in the inside cover of phone books what to do in case of an Atomic Attack. In NZ it's Earthquakes and Volcanic Eruptions. The chance of a nuclear war can come or go with political situations. Earthquakes and Volcanic eruptions definitely will happen.
6. Wages are low compared to other similar western countries with the cost of living high (mainly due to housing).

If you can live independently outside of a big city and enjoy the "outdoors lifestyle" then it's pretty good. If you have an ordinary job and come from another western country it will be expensive and you're going to take a hit to your income.

Hope this helps.
At first I was shocked, a Kiwi actually living in NZ, shouldn't you be in Australia?!!!
Then I saw that you'd immigrated to New Zealand, so the world made sense again!
New Zealand is great, the hordes of New Zealanders living here in Australia are always saying it!!!

In truth, the guitarist and bass player I often work with tell tales of police corruption and suburbs where you risk being beaten up for being a white person using the wrong service station. They recently went back to visit family and say never again!
I don't know first hand of course, but they have quite a few colourful stories to tell about New Zealand, and say "why do you think we live here?!!!" (in South Australia).

Edit- strangely enough, a movie called "The Kiwi Flyer" just started on TV. So far, it looks a lot like South Australia to me. :)

Last edited:
At first I was shocked, a Kiwi actually living in NZ, shouldn't you be in Australia?!!!
Then I saw that you'd immigrated to New Zealand, so the world made sense again!
New Zealand is great, the hordes of New Zealanders living here in Australia are always saying it!!!

In truth, the guitarist and bass player I often work with tell tales of police corruption and suburbs where you risk being beaten up for being a white person using the wrong service station. They recently went back to visit family and say never again!
I don't know first hand of course, but they have quite a few colourful stories to tell about New Zealand, and say "why do you think we live here?!!!" (in South Australia).

Hey Dave. Yea, Urban living in the wrong part of Auckland, Hamilton, or a few places up north can be hazardous. It's the skinheads to watch out for in Christchurch though. The rest of the country is pretty OK.

Maybe I've been in NZ too long as I also live part time in Far North Queensland in the Atherton Tablelands. Haven't been able to get back there for a year and a half though...maybe soon if you guys don't screw up with Covid! Was supposed to be in Melbourne this week for work. CANCELLED!!!

Unfortunately, some form of intolerance is always present wherever one goes. I guess the best way is to sample kiwi life myself. What would be the best period for a visit? Something like -end of summer- autumn and leave at the start of winter. Since I only need good internet and flight connections to be able to work, would cities be better than rural areas? I'm going to dig more into NZ life and see what other resources the internet and the NZ high commission have. Even the change of scenery will do me good I think. Next year probs.

There's a TV show called Hunting Aotearoa, that shows people (usually) hunting feral animals in the rural areas. If you're not squeamish about hunting you might want to look it up, I watch it for the animals and scenery, it shows a better side of NZ. :)

Unfortunately, some form of intolerance is always present wherever one goes. I guess the best way is to sample kiwi life myself. What would be the best period for a visit? Something like -end of summer- autumn and leave at the start of winter. Since I only need good internet and flight connections to be able to work, would cities be better than rural areas? I'm going to dig more into NZ life and see what other resources the internet and the NZ high commission have. Even the change of scenery will do me good I think. Next year probs.
Currently there is a two week quarantine period. That may change by next year, but there is no Covid here right now and only a small proportion of the population have been vaccinated. Internet is pretty good in many areas with fiber and Cell Tower options. Summer (January through March) is best with the weather getting cold and rainy by May/June. Spring September through December) is variable. Can be nice but also can be wet and cold.

If quarantine is still required next year you must book your space in quarantine well in advance (varies between a few weeks up to four months depending on demand and availability). If quarantine is lifted then summer can be very busy with tourism. Right now tourism is dead...you'd have the place to yourself. Kiwis are big travellers so have been (up to now) visiting a lot of places in NZ themselves since they haven't been able to go overseas. If the travel bubble stays open with Australia and some Pacific islands this should see the NZ tourist demand in NZ diminish. It's winter now so it's only the ski fields that are attracting tourists.

Interesting to read the comments of this thread. I’ve lived here in NZ for 56 years originally from Aussie. Couldn’t be happier, like anywhere things change and you need to do your homework before a relocation. Auckland the pits but elsewhere Godzone....not as much history cf to Europe but I wouldn’t live anywhere else.....

Everything I know about NZ is from my old mate who moved there to get clean (heroin) and found himself in jail within a year.

That and now Wellington Paranormal

My wife has a friend who married a Kiwi, a musician. They emigrated to NZ. She loved it, he (the musician) was desperate to move back to the UK as he missed the London gig scene, to a degree as an audience member, but mainly as a player. They came back.

Back
Top Bottom