support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones New YTS 61 Purple Logo - comparing it to my Mauriat 66r

Tobes

Just thought I'd share some thoughts and deliberations over a new purchase I made. I've just got an old YTS 61 Purple logo for £700 and had it serviced and setup. Have to say, I'm more than very impressed with it. Took a bit of a punt buying as never tried one before, but gamble has more than paid off.

I've played it to a few musical friends to get a comparison between the 61 and my Mauriat 66r. The general consensus (including mine) is that the YTS is more even throughout the whole range, only slightly brighter than the 66r, but really sings; for some reason I play better on the YTS61 that the Mauriat - one of my friends commented that I sound more that a propper sax player (which can't be bad)!

I prefer the action and feel of the 61 over the the Mauriat also, even though the 61 is about 40 years older. I like the smaller more compact keywork as I find it feels slightly more nimble and responsive. I also find the high notes much easier to get, which means I can bend the pitch better and add more expression, which add so much more.

The great thing about the Mauriat is that it has that slightly more complex, darker more boomier sound, which many people are immediately impressed with, but for me, it can be at the expense of clarity, particularly in fast passages. I can also be a bit monotonous (I think Stephen Howard refered to it as a bit of a 'one-trick wonder', which I can certainly identify with). It's almost as if the sound on the Mauriat is slightly chocolately, thick but tends to get a bit mushy in places, particularly up high. The lowest notes on the Mauriat are almost unbeatable though, but it was very noticeable to my friends listening, that the sound seems to thin out at the top - I think you can compensate for this by putting more air through it though. The 61, on the other-hand, maintains a really nice vibrant sound from bottom to top without having to adjust the air levels.

The only downside so far about the 61, is that it can sound slightly metalic if you push it hard, although often it can also sound like it has more buzz or vibrancy to the sound.

Comparing to some other Yamaha's:

I've previously owned a YTS 32, borrowed a YTS 51 and also borrowed an older 82Z, the YTS61 is definitely my favourite out of these Yamaha's. The 51 is closest but just doesn't have quite the same depth to the sound and as much punch. I found the 82z too bright and sounded too clinical, almost manufactured (I think the newer ones may be better though). I tried Saxlicker's YTS62 purple logo the other week and was also very impressed with this. I think the 61 has more volume, although the tone is similar to the YTS62 purple logo. I was also very impressed with his YTS875. Great action and more volume than the 62. Anyway, if anyone's interested those are my rambling 2 cents on the YTS61 and other saxes I've tried...

I should add though, I'm probably going to keep the Mauriat, as it is a cracking horn. I'll probably come back to it later and discover something new in it I haven't appreciated to date, but for now, the 61 is going to be my gig horn of choice.

I knew you would love it.Enjoy it.I miss it now:(

PS/ Glad you like the smaller compact keywork compared to the Mauriat.;}
Did you mean YTS 52? Dont think they did a 51 sax.The YTS 32 is the same sax as the YTS 52.The 32 was for Europe the 52 for the USA.Same horn.Crazy coding thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Done Tobes,
Glad you found one, you sounded great on them......
One question,
Now that you have tried quite a few top end yamaha's, have you found a consistency within the brand perhaps more than most other manufacturers?
I know I do.
Yanagisawa also to a certain extent but more model for model.

Well Done Tobes,
One question,
Now that you have tried quite a few top end yamaha's, have you found a consistency within the brand perhaps more than most other manufacturers?
I know I do.

All the yamahas i had or blew had,have a great consistency.They all sing.Thats my take on them.

Well Done Tobes,
One question,
I know I do.
Yes Yamahas are very consistent, particularly at being easy to play every note in the range well! I'd say the older ones are consistently better than the newer ones though. Mark I altos being better than Mark II altos, Purple logo 62's better than newer 62s. I'd say your 875 is also probably better than the newer ones also. If I was to get an 875 I'd probably look for the same year yours is (1998 ish?). I wonder if just being played for many years and having some grime, rust and dust etc. plus wear and tear makes them sound better with age though - that would certainly explain the Mark VI conundrum?

Did you mean YTS 52? Dont think they did a 51 sax.The YTS 52 is the same sax as the YTS 52.The 32 was for Europe the 52 for the USA.Same horn.Crazy coding thing.
Sorry yes it is a 52. The 32 I had was a great sax also, probably on a par with the 52. A lot of it is finding the right mp and read to go with the sax though. I think Yamahas tend to be naturally quite bright so getting a darker reed really helps compensate for this - finding a good rico 2.5 orange box better than all the others at the mo. I was looking at getting a rovner dark ligature also (have a rovner light at mo). Going to start a thread on ligatures as not sure how much to spend - the custom rovner sounds impressive when you read the sales blurb on it but not sure how much difference it makes...?

Lol not getting involved in that debate ;} But for the record, the 61 does have very compact keywork, almost as compact as Mark VI. Not sure about the more modern Yams though (oh crap I am getting involved aren't I?)

Sorry yes it is a 52. The 32 I had was a great sax also, probably on a par with the 52. A lot of it is finding the right mp and read to go with the sax though. I think Yamahas tend to be naturally quite bright so getting a darker reed really helps compensate for this - finding a good rico 2.5 orange box better than all the others at the mo. I was looking at getting a rovner dark ligature also (have a rovner light at mo). Going to start a thread on ligatures as not sure how much to spend - the custom rovner sounds impressive when you read the sales blurb on it but not sure how much difference it makes...?

The 32 is the 52.Same sax but different name for europe and USA.No debate though on keywork :))) we all like what we like.Keeps things different and fresh for us all.My likes is i think the 82Z is there finest horn and hour but saying that i love all yamaha.:welldone

I wonder if just being played for many years and having some grime, rust and dust etc. plus wear and tear makes them sound better with age though - that would certainly explain the Mark VI conundrum?

This is my theory, but it can cause riots on saxophone websites.
Congratulations for your new 61.

This is my theory, but it can cause riots on saxophone websites.
Congratulations for your new 61.

I also think a good sax can be blown in over the years.As for the MKVI thing theres been plenty of riots on sax sites regarding them but from what i've seen alot of players who leave these posts have not even played or most important owned a MKVI.The sax world is a world full of major myths.Keep enjoying the 61 Tobes.Its a cracking horn.

I too have an early 70s YTS 61 and an early 80s YTS 62 (going green) - both of which I have played & gigged hard with over the last 30 yrs. 2 years ago I bought a Mauriat 86ul tenor - i was seduced by all of the rave review etc at the time. To be honest, within a year or so it was starting to fall to bits - screws loosening, bits of felt & cork falling off, rattley mechanisms, and worse still apparently the bell had twisted. Lucky for me Steve Howard, Sax tech genius was local to me to sort these things out. The Mauriat does have a nice dark tone, but it is a stange feeling horn - Low Bb & B are an awkward stretch, the left palm keys need getting used to to name a few - the build quality really does'nt impress me.

However - having had the daliance with the Mauriat - I am happy to say I am back with my first loves - My Yamahas The build quality is bullet proof, even after 30 -40 yrs, they sound fantastic, they feel and play "just right" - all the keys are just in the right places for my little pinkies - and they are good for all the different genres of bands i play with. They just seems to sound better the older they get.

I don't understand this Mk6 thing & all that extra money - these older Yams are a hidden jewel of a secret - the selfish part of me wants to keep it that way!

The Mauriat is in the cupboard - it will remain now a back up horn, not sure i'd sell it coz i'd lose a hefty wedge on it! All I can do is apologise to my Yams for ever being seduced away, albeit temporarily, and grateful that they have taken me back and forgiven me for my adultery with the Mauriat!

I too have an early 70s YTS 61 and an early 80s YTS 62 (going green) - both of which I have played & gigged hard with over the last 30 yrs. 2 years ago I bought a Mauriat 86ul tenor - i was seduced by all of the rave review etc at the time. To be honest, within a year or so it was starting to fall to bits - screws loosening, bits of felt & cork falling off, rattley mechanisms, and worse still apparently the bell had twisted. Lucky for me Steve Howard, Sax tech genius was local to me to sort these things out. The Mauriat does have a nice dark tone, but it is a stange feeling horn - Low Bb & B are an awkward stretch, the left palm keys need getting used to to name a few - the build quality really does'nt impress me.

However - having had the daliance with the Mauriat - I am happy to say I am back with my first loves - My Yamahas The build quality is bullet proof, even after 30 -40 yrs, they sound fantastic, they feel and play "just right" - all the keys are just in the right places for my little pinkies - and they are good for all the different genres of bands i play with. They just seems to sound better the older they get.

I don't understand this Mk6 thing & all that extra money - these older Yams are a hidden jewel of a secret - the selfish part of me wants to keep it that way!

The Mauriat is in the cupboard - it will remain now a back up horn, not sure i'd sell it coz i'd lose a hefty wedge on it! All I can do is apologise to my Yams for ever being seduced away, albeit temporarily, and grateful that they have taken me back and forgiven me for my adultery with the Mauriat!

Yes i agree a zillion times.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom