support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

New Voices

Andy Geiger

Locality
Port Angeles, Washington
I keep seeking new saxophone players, at least new to my ears, and I am currently enjoying two: Abraham Burton and Seamus Blake. Both are sidemen on new releases on SmokeSessions Records, an outlet for live music at Smoke, a jazz house in New York. Burton is on a band led by drummer Louis Hayes, and I am very impressed by his sound and overall playing. Subtitled "Return of the Jazz Communicators", vibist Steve Nelson is also on the front line. Burton's sound on "Portrait of Jennie" is lovely.

Seamus Blake is with David Hazeltine , piano and leader, in a quartet setting that usually has Eric Alexander in sax seat. Blake is a fine player, and the album is fine.

I would love to learn of "new voices" that others are hearing.

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
I was told about a player only last night by forum member Chipsterchops who is visiting the UK from the beautiful Maldives.
The player Chip told me about is Brian Best check him out...

Last edited:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
You'll probably get a few ideas off the Personal Greats thread.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Seamus Blake is an excellent player with a great sound.

I'm just back from the Swanage Jazz Festival and was blown away by a couple of saxophonists that I didn't already know:

Karen Sharp who played really excellent baritone with Alan Barnes - lovely sound and fine solos
Rob Fowler who played great mainstream tenor with Alan Barnes and also with the Jim Mullen organ trio

Interestingly (to me the geek) they both played old Conn saxophones.

And the best small group gig I saw was Art Themen playing with just bass and drums and doing a tribute to Sonny Rollins. Not a copy of Rollins, just tunes by or associated with him. Art is still playing mind blowingly good tenor and soprano with his unique sound and style.

Rhys

gtriever

Locality
Western KY, USA
At least new-to-me are Adam Schroeder (baritone) and North Wales' very own Liam Byrne (tenor) . I'm diggin' the heck out of both these cats.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
At least new-to-me are Adam Schroeder (baritone) and North Wales' very own Liam Byrne (tenor) . I'm diggin' the heck out of both these cats.

I saw Liam Byrne and his BBQ group at Swanage for two gigs last weekend. They were absolutely excellent and I had a nice chat with Liam afterwards. It seems that they basically only gig in the midlands and North West, which is a shame as I would love to get them to our local jazz club down here in Surrey/Hants. BBQ play a great mixture of mainstream styles and the front line soloists are first rate.

Rhys

gtriever

Locality
Western KY, USA
I saw Liam Byrne and his BBQ group at Swanage for two gigs last weekend. They were absolutely excellent and I had a nice chat with Liam afterwards. It seems that they basically only gig in the midlands and North West, which is a shame as I would love to get them to our local jazz club down here in Surrey/Hants. BBQ play a great mixture of mainstream styles and the front line soloists are first rate.

Rhys

I'd like to get my hands on their CDs, but so far have been unable to source them here in the States. I guess I could order direct from their UK website, but have been too lazy to do so... my bad. :(

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I've not heard her live as such but she's been on radio 2, and i was very impressed.

She played at the Cinnamon Club in Bowden not long ago but I didn't go so can't comment.

Jx

Andy Geiger

Locality
Port Angeles, Washington
you may like Frøy Aagre - http://youtu.be/u9OEPtzsp2E

or Trygve Seim - http://youtu.be/qYVtMoXGOJM
Thank you. Many, many styles and many talented players. The world of jazz and the diversity of the music grows and grows. Many long for the "good old days". I think there is much to celebrate now! I like both of these players, although I would like to hear Trygve Seim in a non-ECM moody setting.

Top Bottom