support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

new to the saxophone

kenmayo

Hi, all my life I have wanted to learn to play the sax but somehow never got round to getting one either because of cost or time. Now I have got one and am loving it!! I've had 12 lessons so far and finding the timing a little hard but will get there, if anyone has any bright suggestions I will be eternally grateful. Also which read is the best for beginning?

Hi Ken, and welcome aboard.
Kev is right about O.G. who is in turn right about the well meant advice :thumb:
As for which reed, well you have touched on the subject that I like to grind my axe on (I favour working the reed to suit the m'piece, but you don't want to get involved in that yet!).
Let's just say that I personally don't favour any one particular make, it's a question of finding the right strength of reed to suit your brand/size of m'piece.

Looking forward to your posts ;}
John.

Welcome to the cafe, no question is too daft in here. Shame I can't say the same for some of the answers.
There are Reeds and there are Reads! Personally I like Charlotte Reid best!:)))

Hey Hey Ken ...

Glad you found the Cafe ...

Hope you have a good sense of humour ... ;}

I joined about a year and a half ago ... Great community ...

All very helpful - well most are ;}

Shout if you need answers ... :thumb:

Hi Ken,

welcome to the cafe.

I started 3 years ago (next January) as a middle-aged starter (I'm no-where near as old as some on here!) and I'm loving it.

As others have said, you'll meet lots of frineds on here, get lots of advice (not necessarily an answer to the question you asked!) and generally have a good time.

I hope you enjoy your sax journey.

Hi Ken, Welcome, I am a very mature novice and not being a natural I experienced the same issue of timing.
My teacher told me not to worry about playing a wrong note, just keep in time with the rhythm. Initially if I played a wrong note I would worry more about that than the timing.
As soon as I started to realise what I was doing I stopped worrying about the bum notes, then the correct notes fell into place.
In my case, mastering timing was the main thing to accomplish.
Enjoy
Dave

Hi Ken, Welcome, I am a very mature novice and not being a natural I experienced the same issue of timing.
My teacher told me not to worry about playing a wrong note, just keep in time with the rhythm. Initially if I played a wrong note I would worry more about that than the timing.
As soon as I started to realise what I was doing I stopped worrying about the bum notes, then the correct notes fell into place.
In my case, mastering timing was the main thing to accomplish.
Enjoy
Dave

Good point - the wrong note at the right time is much better than the right note at the wrong time. You've got to acquire the habit of just throwing them away and keep on going, even if you miss a fistful!

this is indeed a good point. My teacher tells me it's much easier for her to correct something I've played if it's played incorrectly than if I am too afraid to play it at all.

I have improved, but I went through a spell of playing with enthusiasm but not necessarily the correct rhythm. :shocked:

At lease she could then help me to get the correct rhythm. :thumb:

dotted crotchets are still the bain of my playing :crying:

Mandy, the thing about dotted crochets is that there are two of them and they are different. An on-beat dotted crochet is a two beat note and you must wait for the second beat to go down before moving off the note. On beat-off beat-on beat move.

The off-beat dotted crochet starts off beat-on beat-off-beat and is a one beat note. I just think crochet with these. I've read advice to think minim rather than crochet with the on beat version. Hang in there.

Jim.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom