support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones New Tenor Sax...What make and model to buy?

siggsy

Okay ive got about £2,000 to spend on a new tenor Sax. Havent played for 15 years and time to pick it up again. Had a blast on a new Yamaha YTS 62 in my local shop the other day and it was like riding a bike, so easy to play and sounded great. But as i have been out of the game for years there is a lot more choice. Trevor James Signature Raw Bauhaus, Walstein Earth Series and the M2DL, Yanagisawa T901, System 54's??
What does everyone else think. I think a lot are made in Taiwan, but the 62 is made in Japan. Is there much difference in quality and sound?
Also is the 62 a lot better than the YTS275/280 and the 475/480

Okay ive got about £2,000 to spend on a new tenor Sax. Havent played for 15 years and time to pick it up again. Had a blast on a new Yamaha YTS 62 in my local shop the other day and it was like riding a bike, so easy to play and sounded great. But as i have been out of the game for years there is a lot more choice. Trevor James Signature Raw Bauhaus, Walstein Earth Series and the M2DL, Yanagisawa T901, System 54's??
What does everyone else think. I think a lot are made in Taiwan, but the 62 is made in Japan. Is there much difference in quality and sound?
Also is the 62 a lot better than the YTS275/280 and the 475/480

Hi Siggsy.. You might have been better to " grab the muse" by the scruff of the neck and go for the YAM. There are so many fabulous Saxes out there now that you could be for ever making up your mind and all that decision time is time you could be caressing your new baby.

If you go to Stephen Howards review

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/Yamaha_YTS62.htm

You will see at the time of writing that this horn is "round about" your complete budget new and will come with a respectable Yamaha 4 or 5 c mouthpiece like the one you probably tried in the store.

You also may be able to haggle a deal / discount for hard cash if the thing is gathering dust. Things are bad in the High Street and they need to keep the turnover and cashflow moving.

If it were me I`d get back and try it again and then decide if you need to try any more, but plenty People like to "try em all" You Decide

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could go to Stephen Howards reviews of the BW M2 Pro ( http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/bauhaus_pro_tenor.htm ) and TJ Custom Raw ( http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/tj_sc_raw_tenor.htm ) and you will have stonking recommendations, calling into question the quaint olde Big Four. I play a System 54 U/L Powerbell and am really pleased with the sound - based on the old Selmer Balanced Action. Stephen Howard has yet to review one but there is various stuff online.

Curly Woodwind in Liverpool has the Yam62, BW M2 and TJ available, so could be worth a trip.

If you find it.....

I vote for the 62, even better if second hand (no ebay). But if you can try more than one instrument, go for the one that gives you the "riding a bike" feeling

Even better - for those who prefer substance over appearance I suggest a Yamaha 32!! You get all the benefits of the 62 without the frills and the price!!! (you should save 50% easy).
My Yamaha 32 tenor is a real winner on ergonomics and the action is so clean and crisp I can't imagine a better option....be smart.

As Northamptonshires #1 Cannonball fan, thanks for that link - I hadn't seen that before. All Siggsy has to do now is find a shop selling the things - no easy task......

What's the answer in the UK ? I can't see any Cannonballs on the websites of Dawkes, Packers or Sax.co.uk.

Rhys

What's the answer in the UK ? Rhys

I enquired late last year and the nearest stockist in the North is......Your closest dealer is Windblowers in Nottingham
75/77 Derby Road
Nottingham
NG1 5BA

Tel 0115 941 0543
Email sales@windblowers.com

The main dealer down South is........

Paul Gardner
General Manager
Windcraft Ltd
The Woodwind and Brass Warehouse
Reform Road
Maidenhead
Berks, SL6 8BT
01628 778377

paulg@windcraft.co.uk

www.windcraft.co.uk

It will be a while before i can try and buy one but at the moment it's the 1st on my list :)

I quite like the sound of this Cannonball although its basically made in taiwan, but worth having a look. I will send Windblowers in Nottingham an email and see if they are stocking them...
Cheers

Nothing wrong with Taiwanese saxes at all, as I have mentioned elsewhere quite recently. In fact I rather suspect that Yamaha have shifted `62 series production to Taiwan in its Mk11 guise (might have to reach for the kevlar vest now!). Just got a YAS62 from a member and find it really good. Also really like the BH`s and the Mauriats, also Taiwanese.

Hi Siggsy, I certainly cant offer any expert advise as I only started learning to play the sax 2 weeks ago, however what I can offer is my decision as to what weapon of choice!

I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions and read a lot of reviews.

I thought I had my mind made up with either the Yam 62 or the Yanagisawa T901 until the Bauhaus Walstein pro M2 was suggested!

so after a few conversations with the guys at Sax.co.uk I paid them a visit and was set up in a audition room with all 3 mentioned.

1st I tried the Yam and found it very nice, (baring in mind Id never picked a sax up before) found the Yam very easy to get used to.
which leads to No2, The yanagisawa, didnt feel that different to the Yamaha except for maybe felt a little smoother.

3rd, tried the Bauhaus, which immediately felt alien, I had been playing with the Yam and Yanag for around 2 hours by this time and Im not sure what it was but the Bauhaus keywork felt like I had to reach more and just didn't feel as comfitable as the yam and yanag.

I would say at this point that the Bauhaus was the prettiest what with the silver plated body and brass furniture.

so I discarded the Bauhaus and went back to murdering the Yam and Yanag.

I canr put my finger on why I decided on the Yanagisawa, it may have been the comments id read previously stating that the Yanag is just slightly higher build quailty but thats what I chose.

she sure is pretty! (is that wrong) ??

all I have to do now is learn how to play it!

Rgds Lee, and good luck with your decision.

Good luck Breathless. The Yani will take you a long way indeed if you stick to the journey!
Hi Siggsy, I certainly cant offer any expert advise as I only started learning to play the sax 2 weeks ago, however what I can offer is my decision as to what weapon of choice!

I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions and read a lot of reviews.

I thought I had my mind made up with either the Yam 62 or the Yanagisawa T901 until the Bauhaus Walstein pro M2 was suggested!

so after a few conversations with the guys at Sax.co.uk I paid them a visit and was set up in a audition room with all 3 mentioned.

1st I tried the Yam and found it very nice, (baring in mind Id never picked a sax up before) found the Yam very easy to get used to.
which leads to No2, The yanagisawa, didnt feel that different to the Yamaha except for maybe felt a little smoother.

3rd, tried the Bauhaus, which immediately felt alien, I had been playing with the Yam and Yanag for around 2 hours by this time and Im not sure what it was but the Bauhaus keywork felt like I had to reach more and just didn't feel as comfitable as the yam and yanag.

I would say at this point that the Bauhaus was the prettiest what with the silver plated body and brass furniture.

so I discarded the Bauhaus and went back to murdering the Yam and Yanag.

I canr put my finger on why I decided on the Yanagisawa, it may have been the comments id read previously stating that the Yanag is just slightly higher build quailty but thats what I chose.

she sure is pretty! (is that wrong) ??

all I have to do now is learn how to play it!

Rgds Lee, and good luck with your decision.

Just realised that the YTS62 has now incresed by about £200 which is nice.
What is everyones view of the Trevor James Signature Custom? I was told that they arent assembled in the UK apart from putting the cork on?

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom