All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones New tenor needed...what to buy?

GJ77

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
Update: Roger (Allegro) has now sold the 10M and is holding the mk7 for somebody to try on Tuesday which makes a drive there seem less worthwhile. As a result, tomorrow morning I'll either drive for 3 hours north and visit Woodwind Exchange who have a huge number of horns (Buescher TH&C and Martin Magna amongst them) or drive for two hours down south to Brighton and Rupert Noble who also has a large selection (Buescher; Martin; SML; Selmer; Conn; King etc).

Woodwind exchange prices seem a little on the high side but I don't know whether they tend to be open to a deal or not?

Tomorrow will be a fun day either way.

Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Hey,
I'm planning to sell my (fully overhauled) Mk VII too (I will change to a SBA).
I payed €2350,- for it.
The dealer where I will give it back (he already knows the horn) offers me exactly this amount, as he says he will be able to sell it for 2700,-.
What is the price of your Mk VII?

Cheers,
Guenne

Last edited:
GJ77

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
They're around £2000 sterling

Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Hey,
thanks, that's exactly the same...

Cheers,
Guenne

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I'd heard WE prices are high, but they treat you well.
Rupert has a good reputation, but I have no idea on his flexibility. I'd guess he'd be keener to do a deal?

GJ77

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
To be honest, Rupert's prices seem very fair anyway.

aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
To be honest, Rupert's prices seem very fair anyway.
They are. In line with eBay, but you know what you are buying and from whom.

Great setting up skills, by the way.

He also sold some stuff of mine, and has been spotless both ways.

I would never haggle with him, though.

GJ77

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
What a great afternoon with Rupert Noble. He really is a top bloke and a trip to his Aladdin's cave in Brighton is well and truly worthwhile. I just thought I'd post a few thoughts on the horns I played:
  • SML Gold Medal: a very nice and versatile instrument; very solidly built and very heavy. Ergonomically it was a little eccentric to say the least but you could probably get used to it. I liked this sax, it had a real warmth to the tone, was lyrical and crystal clear up top and had a very smooth bottom end. My only criticism was that it felt a little over-built and lacking in resonance and life (that description makes sense in my head).
  • Buescher Aristocrat: Beautiful, smooth, singing horn. I liked the key work on this, despite the old fashioned LH little finger table. I know that this was a tenor but playing it, you could see why Johnny Hodges played a Buescher alto. If I had the money for a second tenor, this would be it. So sweet.
  • King Zephyr: A great rock and roll horn. It screamed and wailed and honked like a rock and roll horn should. Very nice but not for me, I wanted something more versatile. The intonation was absolutely spot-on by the way, it would be a very easy horn to live with.
  • Conn 10M (silver plate): I didn't like this as much as I wanted to and the key work reminded me why I no longer play a 12M baritone. Great bottom end but just didn't connect with me.
  • Yanagisawa (not sure of the model): An early one, late 1970s I think, underslung neck. I've played a lot of Yanigasawa altos over the years and have always been underwhelmed. Impeccably built instruments that just seemed to lack character and seemed a bit 'lightweight' to me. This was a very different proposition...rich buttery tone and great ergonomics. It responded well when pushed and I got the feeling that it could be pretty much whatever you wanted it to be. A nice instrument which almost tempted me, if it weren't for...
  • Selmer mk7: This was the one for me in the end. It has a big, robust sound and can be a great rock and roll sax, but with a slight adjustment of embouchure and rounding of the throat, the sound becomes rounded and smooth. Subtone is effortless, as is the altissimo register. It seemed to offer the best of all worlds...the intonation is also excellent and required virtually no work on my part from the very first phrase.
All in all, a great day and Rupert Noble is an absolute gent.

p.s: I also picked up an incredible Super Balanced Action alto on a bit of a whim:mrcool

GJ77

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
I've only played the one mk7 but I was very impressed, considering the reputation they had at one point.

aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
I've only played the one mk7 but I was very impressed, considering the reputation they had at one point.
Horns are like individuals. Only because someone is born in Mantes in 1978 does not mean he/ she has to be like the others.

I played some mkVI that was rubbish.

Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Horns are like individuals. Only because someone is born in Mantes in 1978 does not mean he/ she has to be like the others.

That's true.
Nevertheless, I've played many horns.
If I had taken the time to get used to their peculiarities I could have spent my time with each one, and I never found a sax that was "unplayable" for me. The Mark VI has been built for a long period of time, so you will find many different "sound characters", but not so the Mark VII, AFAIK.

The Mark VII is a wonderful horn if you prefer a "dark" sound, the only downside is ergonomics (elephant ears).
This can partly be fixed by a good technician.
If you want one, hurry. Prices go up, as will the one in @DavidUK 's ebay link.
Writing and thinking about that, I am not so sure if I will sell mine :)

Cheers,
Guenne

Last edited:
Lizengar

Lizengar

Locality
Singapore
A very good suggestion: German built, just not all the bells whistles of the SX!
Mind you I'm sure I've seen SX go for under two grand .
My SX90R Alto cost GBP742. It sounded great. I am not sure about tenor but I agree with Nick's suggestion. Also the shadow looks super awesome.

GJ77

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
I tried a Kenilworth SX90R but didn't like it. It was obviously a very good quality instrument but just not the one for me.

ProfJames

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Since this thread was posted I have monitored Selmer Mk VII horns on eBay. I wouldn't say they were cheap. There are two on there for £2,500 and £2,750 respectively with another at over £1,000 with three days to go.

Is that cheap?

milandro

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
they are overpriced at that price and by a quite a bit.

€2000 buys you an overhauled tenor in my part of the world ( I have sold 3 in the past)

Guenne

Guenne

Locality
Austria
I will sell mine for €2350,-, 2014 overhauled, including hardshell gigbag, and I think I will get that...:)
Nevertheless, prices for Mark VII are going up.

Cheers,
Guenne

milandro

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
then I must try to buy a few :)

GJ77

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
I paid £2000 for mine, overhauled and playing like a dream. It looks far from pristine though. No dents but lots of lacquer worn away.