New Saxophone Player

I’m 61 (yep) and just now learning the Saxophone. Amazing, eh?!

I’m in the Hartford area of Connecticut, and am using learning materials and YouTube videos to get started. I’m about two weeks in, at this point.

I have a strong musical background, and I have learned over the years, to find others in my area that I can get together with, to feed off of. It has always proven to speed up my learning, exponentially (a LOT).

If there are any in here from the Hartford area who can tolerate a “newbie,” and enjoy mentoring, please contact me

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Eeeeh! :eek: You’re not supposed to put your email address on the forum @Nutmegger1957 !
But welcome to the forum! That’s great, having a strong musical background. Do you play lots of instruments?

Sorry about that. If there is a mechanism for private messaging in this forum, hi suppose someone who would like to respond concerning my questions could do it that way.

I have always been a vocalist since I was three, in the musical instruments that I have played our piano, trombone, guitar, banjitar, Mandolin, ukulele, one week on a tenor sax about five years ago and very recently the alto sax.

I sat at a drum set one time and tried to beat the drums. It was fun but I never really did much with it. There was a Hasek at my house when I was a kid and I had a set of drumsticks, and I used to beat the heck out of that Hasek to my favorite songs LOL

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Welcome to the café.
At 61 you're a youngster compared to the age at which several on here started.
Sorry about that. If there is a mechanism for private messaging in this forum, hi suppose someone who would like to respond concerning my questions could do it that way.
For private messaging 'hover' on the avatar and it shows 'start conversation' at the bottom of the pop up box

I haven’t learned yet how to spell that French word for the shape of my mouth on the mouthpiece, so I won’t attempt it.

I think I’m developing a habit that may be slightly different and unadvised or perhaps the correct word is I’ll advised..........

Instead of putting my top teeth on top of the mouthpiece, I am using my upper lip with my top teeth holding my upper lip down on the mouthpiece. It seems more comfortable that way and I am able to get pure tones. I wonder if I could be starting a new trend LOL

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
I haven’t learned yet how to spell that French word for the shape of my mouth on the mouthpiece, so I won’t attempt it.

I think I’m developing a habit that may be slightly different and unadvised or perhaps the correct word is I’ll advised..........

Instead of putting my top teeth on top of the mouthpiece, I am using my upper lip with my top teeth holding my upper lip down on the mouthpiece. It seems more comfortable that way and I am able to get pure tones. I wonder if I could be starting a new trend LOL
I suggest asking this as a new topic in the saxophone section of the forum, that way more people will find it and chime in with helpful advice

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
Welcome to the Cafe. I used to live in CT and still have family and friends there,

Are you a Campbell and are you related to Cooper Campbell by any chance?

saxyjt

Take it easy there, it's not that difficult. Just think 'ham' and 'boucher' spoken with a slightly posh accent but spell it wrong like 'em' and 'bouchure'. See, that's not so difficult, is it?

Now, I have to welcome you to the cafè even if you can't spell embouchure. I'm not gonna head of that against you.

Enjoy the café and playing this develish horn.

Instead of putting my top teeth on top of the mouthpiece, I am using my upper lip with my top teeth holding my upper lip down on the mouthpiece. It seems more comfortable that way and I am able to get pure tones. I wonder if I could be starting a new t
[/QUOTE]
The word is embrochure.

saxyjt

The word is embrochure.[/QUOTE]

I would agree if we were at a BbQ party, but we have no Q here, just Bb, if not some lost souls in Eb land, but they are excused on the basis that it's only a step to become better (Bb) sax players.

Top Bottom