All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones New sax anyone!!!

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Unless of course he sells it for that price.

He's entertaining offers, so it seems fair enough,. it's not as if its compulsory to pay that.

jonf

Well, somebody bought it. It's very nice, but I wouldn't have paid the asking price. However, market forces are what they are, and it's worth whatever someone is prepared to pay.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
last one of these that I saw auctioned went for a lot more, but was in better condition. Just another example of collectors pushing up prices way beyond the intrinsic value because of rarity. Makes no sense to me. I know sellers need to make a profit/living, but...

Greg Strange

last one of these that I saw auctioned went for a lot more, but was in better condition. Just another example of collectors pushing up prices way beyond the intrinsic value because of rarity. Makes no sense to me. I know sellers need to make a profit/living, but...

I think the word your looking for Kev starts with "G" and rhymes with reed...:)

Greg S.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
I think the word your looking for Kev starts with "G" and rhymes with reed...:)

Greg S.

I wasn't looking for it. Just avoided saying it... >:)

Really annoys me to see these ads on ebay offering old sax equipment at extortionate prices. But as was said above, no-one forced the buyer to pay the price. And it's not really any different from any other sale in a capitalist system. Just wish these wealthy collectors would collect something else - like 'art' so we can enjoy our old saxes without breaking the bank....

otoh, maybe I should offer my Santoni for a few thousand - there weren't many made with that badging, most were sold as Evettes..... Then buy myself a commoner investment sax - like a MkVI...

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Trouble is they are bought by investors and never used. Saxes of any vintage are meant to be played.

Sadly true. On the other hands I know a couple of dealers that refuse (in one way or another) to sell horns to investors and prefer a lower gain, selling to real musicians: there is still hope in life.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom