All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

new reeds

allansto

I just recieved my order of vandoren jazz................... I like them
Previously Ive been using rico royal 1.5
The vandorens are a No 2 strength and are a little stiffer
I seem to have to take more reed in my mouth to play them and I squark
changing to the upper register but the sound is much nicer than the royals.
Im still breaking the first reed in yet but like I said.......I like em

Allansto:welldone

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Lucky you!
Green or red box (I am not too familiar with Vandoren)?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Java come in Green and Red box, but these are the Jazz reed which just has one version and comes in a blackish box.

Rhys
Found them, thanks. Shame they are supposed to be called "Zee Zee" (French speaking people will understand me) instead of "Double Zed" (much cooler)

I will give them a try.

TomMapfumo

I used to use them on soprano when I started and only knew about Rico and Vandoren reeds. Of the various Vandoren reeds (ZZ, Java Green and V16) I did prefer them, and over the Rico Royals too. Then I discovered Marca Jazz..............................

baritonesax

V16s, or green Javas at a pinch, are my favourite reeds for all saxes but bari. There are always going to be arguments about brand consistency - but my considered view is that they're all equally useless as far as consistency is concerned.

Rico orange work well with bari when they work at all, but it's perfectly possible to find 2.5s and 4s that play similarly! I spent 80 quid on two boxes of bari reeds yesterday (Alexander NYs and Rigottis) to see if I can do better.

Hell, bari reeds are expensive! Am still not used to that fact after all this time.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Rico Royal 2.5s work great on my baritone and I find all 10 in the box to be much the same.

Jim.
There must have been an error at Rico's then. Maybe a newbie working in QC.
What should I expect next? A good new Otto Link?

Two Voices

Rico Royals probably are the most consistent reed. I used to feel the same about the Jazz Select but they became insconsistent. The La Voz are better ;} Not a fan of vandoren reeds though!

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I used to feel the same about the Jazz Select but they became insconsistent.
The story of my relation with almost any reed make. I am not a big fan on Vandoren, but that ZZ is impressing me.

Two Voices

The story of my relation with almost any reed make. I am not a big fan on Vandoren, but that ZZ is impressing me.
I might give the ZZ a try as I'm looking for a change in May. The La Voz can be a bit plank like at times.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I might give the ZZ a try as I'm looking for a change in May. The La Voz can be a bit plank like at times.
Try Flying Goose. Your La Voz will be the most responsive, clean and supple reeds you've ever played in comparison.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
The La Voz can be a bit plank like at times.
Since I do my best not to be loyal to any reed brand, I had a good box of lavoz MS in my drawer.
Some of them were great, some sounded like they ended up in the wrong box with the wrong strength marked n them.

But I keep them, maybe they will work on some other mouthpiece in future.

Two Voices

Try Flying Goose. Your La Voz will be the most responsive, clean and supple reeds you've ever played in comparison.
Haha!! ....... I heard they were pretty tough reeds - Lockjaw :w00t:

Since I do my best not to be loyal to any reed brand, I had a good box of lavoz MS in my drawer.
Some of them were great, some sounded like they ended up in the wrong box with the wrong strength marked n them.

But I keep them, maybe they will work on some other mouthpiece in future.
I love but the do need soaking and balancing to get them to play really well. Currently I'm playing a batch of Jazz Selects that I've balanced and finding them more responsive especially playing ppp on the bell notes.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom