All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Reeds new reeds

berniesax

new good quality branded reeds stored in there box ! maybe in the owners sax case or in a cool dry place.
question ?
do they have a unwritten sell by date or shelve life ?
cheers
bernie

jonf

do they have a unwritten sell by date or shelve life ?
Nope. Note if they're kept cool, dark and dry. Reeds are essentially dead grass and they're not going to get any more dead by time passing.

On the other hand, if they get damp, have temperature fluctuations, too much light, etc, they may warp, go mouldy, or whatever. And eventaully, just like all natural things, they will start to decay, but if they're kept in a cool dry dark place they will last for decades.

Gallen

Reeds are essentially dead grass and they're not going to get any more dead by time passing.
Now I have more reason to keep playing synthetics... at least I know synthetics shouldn't go zombie on me :-/

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Now I have more reason to keep playing synthetics... at least I know synthetics shouldn't go zombie on me :-/
So what are synthetics? Dead grass, trees, animals, heat and pressure treated over time, then subjected to nasty chemicals, more heat and pressure..... >:)

Gallen

But but but but.... *goes on ebay to buy blessed water, crosses, a shotgun, garlic, and Stephen Howard's Saxophone Manual*

les3716

Nope. Note if they're kept cool, dark and dry. Reeds are essentially dead grass and they're not going to get any more dead by time passing.

On the other hand, if they get damp, have temperature fluctuations, too much light, etc, they may warp, go mouldy, or whatever. And eventaully, just like all natural things, they will start to decay, but if they're kept in a cool dry dark place they will last for decades.
Its wonderful to think these reeds live in our mouths two - three hours a day!
Thanks for shareing that with us. :mrcool

Les.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom