All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Beginner New player question

Michael Short

Hi There everyone.

I have just started playing saxophone 3 weeks or so ago. After about 15 minutes or so of playing each day my bottom lip goes numb lasting most of the day. I was wondering if this is normal when just starting out or if it's something I should be worried about?

Thanks.

zelda

On the border
Locality
British Columbia interior, Canada
Howdy, Michael, and welcome to the café.

zelda

On the border
Locality
British Columbia interior, Canada
I saw you 'Online' as I was replying to your post and thought I'd give you a quick reply. Most of the people on CS are in the UK and Europe. I think they're probably still asleep as it's pretty early there. So it may be a while before someone replies but rest assured, someone will.
With regard to your lip numbness, I have no clue as to what's going on. I've been playing for a few years and have never had that problem. So, all I can say is that the more experienced players may be able to offer some insight. And welcome to Café Saxophone.
Jim

Michael Short

Hi Jim, thanks for the responses. My teacher said she hasn't heard of it happening either. hopefully at my next lesson she will be able to tell me if i'm doing anything wrong in regards to how i'm playing :)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
New one on me. Best check with your teacher that you're using your lips properly, then check with your doc.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
It occurs to me it could be the position of your embouchure on the mouthpiece. If your lip is sitting lightly on the wide vibating part of the reed it could be causing numbness.

There's a simple method I've read on here to check you have the right amount of mouthpiece in your mouth. Slide a piece of paper between the reed and the mouthpiece to locate where they meet. Mark this spot. This is where your lower lip should be. Check in a mirror to see you're in the right area.

Jonesy

Old Fart At Play
Locality
Birmingham, UK
If you use the "bottom lip over teeth" embouchure, don't hold it too tight. The teeth should only support the lip, not squeeze it. I had sore lips through doing that when I started a year ago.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
What you describe is highly unusual in my experience. Numbness generally indicates a constriction somewhere pinching off a nerve. You may need to see a dentist to get it properly diagnosed.

allansto

Locality
Frankston Victoria Australia
r u biting down too hard and causing nerve damage???

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom