support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • All posts re: Fake (counterfeit) saxophones and scams are now in their own subforum here:

Fakes and Scams

Saxophones New 'player' looking for saxophone

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I have often kept either a Jericho or a student Yamaha as a great reserve horn.
I favour the Jericho for sound (darker) and the Yamaha for build and action.
A Yamaha will last forever, Jerichos are ten years old max so the jury is still out on longevity. One early passaround here had some build issues but the three later ones I've had, MkI & MKII have been much better with no obvious issues.
I bought the last alto and tenor Jericho horns sold, direct from Becky, after Covid shut them down forever

APR77

Locality
Leeds
@jonf has been a guardian angel in disguise. Not only did he give me a great price for an amazing horn, he's thrown in a whole lot of extras and covered p&p to no extra cost.

When I upgrade, in time, I will pay of forward as to what @jonf has done for me.

And for Jon to add a donation for a transaction done mainly away from this site just shows how trustworthy he is.

I'll be forever in his debt

APR77

Locality
Leeds
It was a sale he made because of a contact through the site which, I'm sure is why he honoured our rules. :)

We have many such honest members.

Jx
Transaction completed. My first-ever saxophone was received today...now to learn :) If anyone has any sales through Jon. I would definitely recommend him.

APR77

Locality
Leeds
I had my first lesson yesterday, was only for 30 minutes and went really, really fast. The tutor was impressed that, as a beginner, I knew how to hold, put together and play some notes on the sax. Dom introduced me to learning to read music which has been my Kryptonite and I couldn't picture the fingering against the notes I was seeing on the page. He recommended a book 'The Saxophone Method Vol. 1 - John O'Neill' as we were going through some of the lessons on the first couple of pages. Has anyone used this for lessons? What are your thoughts? When I played the trumpet, I used to have a book called 'A Tune A Day'. I noticed there is an updated version for the sax 'A New Tune a Day for Alto Sax' May be worth buying both?

I have been to TTS and printed off a fingering chart so will use that to learn the notes for my next lesson.

greenstripe

Locality
UK
He recommended a book 'The Saxophone Method Vol. 1 - John O'Neill' as we were going through some of the lessons on the first couple of pages. Has anyone used this for lessons? What are your thoughts? When I played the trumpet, I used to have a book called 'A Tune A Day'. I noticed there is an updated version for the sax 'A New Tune a Day for Alto Sax' May be worth buying both?
I have this series of books and find them truly excellent (volume 1,2 and repertoire 1 & 2)- the tunes are a lot more grown up and have less of 'nursery rhyme' feel than a lot of beginners' books - the backing tracks for download are of very high quality and there are versions with and without saxophone and in the case of duets with or without saxophone 1 or 2.

1 word of caution: if and when you get to it, the audio tracks for Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring are transposed 41+42 with 102+103

This series of books is exclusively for Alto saxophone

I'd start with the 1 book and see how you get on

There is an earlier book by John O'Neal called 'The Jazz Method' which is for both Alto and Tenor(pls other instruments) - the written music is the same but the backing tracks are in a different key to suit. Don't confuse with the above - it has a slightly different approach.

APR77

Locality
Leeds
I have this series of books and find them truly excellent (volume 1,2 and repertoire 1 & 2)- the tunes are a lot more grown up and have less of 'nursery rhyme' feel than a lot of beginners' books - the backing tracks for download are of very high quality and there are versions with and without saxophone and in the case of duets with or without saxophone 1 or 2.

1 word of caution: if and when you get to it, the audio tracks for Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring are transposed 41+42 with 102+103

This series of books is exclusively for Alto saxophone

I'd start with the 1 book and see how you get on

There is an earlier book by John O'Neal called 'The Jazz Method' which is for both Alto and Tenor(pls other instruments) - the written music is the same but the backing tracks are in a different key to suit. Don't confuse with the above - it has a slightly different approach.
Thank you. Have just ordered vol 1&2 they were both half price so both books + shipping only cost me £16..

My tutor printed one of the sheets 'crotchetting' I believe track 06 -10 so have been practicing that so far

Have gone ahead and signed up with the weekly lessons too. Let's see how it goes.

Alan.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Alto or tenor?
Alto is most like clarinet. Much simpler fingering with a smaller range.
That had me puzzled over a resuscitating morning cuppa

Now brain is in gear I see you mean alto is easier fingering than clarinet; not tenor

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
They all have the same basic fingerings but the saxophone has fewer.
Moving from clarinet to saxophone feels easier than the other way round.
The clarinet covers the range of alto and soprano sax.
It's quite amusing watching the facial expression of a saxophonist while explaining to them that engaging the register key takes you up a 12th not an 8ve.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
London
They all have the same basic fingerings but the saxophone has fewer.
I find it a lot more confusing though depending on the register.

On saxophone LH 3 fingers is G.

On carnet the same fingering is G in the upper register but C in the lower register.

Then you have all those notes from hell between the two registers.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I find it a lot more confusing though depending on the register.

On saxophone LH 3 fingers is G.

On carnet the same fingering is G in the upper register but C in the lower register.

Then you have all those notes from hell between the two registers.
The only way I can free play on clarinet is to think of it as an alto in the lower register and a soprano in the upper with a hop step and a jump inbetween.

It was such a relief to get my first saxophone. It felt so easy and liberating.

Top Bottom