support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

New novice from Berkshire - Roy Benson 202A alto

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Hi All

Very impressed with this site and the help I have been given as a "newbie", thank you all. Please everyone, don't hesitate to email tips, advice and anything that may help me just before I have my second lesson.

Enjoying everything about the sax, even practise!

Welcome to the caff©, Professor James.

ENJOY!​™

Hi Roy, Welcome to the cafe, and good luck with your second lesson !

Roy Benson is the sax!!! Professor James is me! Not a professor though! Might give you a clue to my surname if you think of Holmes!

Roy Benson is the sax!!! Professor James is me! Not a professor though! Might give you a clue to my surname if you think of Holmes!

Professor James Reichenbach-Falls? Pleased to meet you :)

Sorry Prof, juggling doorbell with work realized my mistake after i'd posted.:blush:

Just bought a Windcraft Ebonite Etude mouthpiece - £29.95 - and a Rovner 1RL ligature and cap - 20.95 from Dawkes. Hope these will be OK. Any comments?

Hi Prof, you cant really go wrong with a Rovner lig, iv'e not tried any Windcraft MP's. What i normally do is spend a few hours trying five or six together with a choice of reed brands, so you can really get an idea of the tone you want.
A good start would be something like a c* with a 1 1/2 or 2 reed. But every one is different, guess its just trial and error.
Hope that is of some help. :thumb:

Saxman - everything is of great help to me at the moment, trust me! If I knew what I was doing I would have tested them but at present I ma getting my advice from Tom from Skabartawe, Peter Thomas, Kevgermany and Tommapurfo. DIgested what they said and went to Dawkes. Got a good discount on the Windcraft (they sold me up) so went with the combo.

Am I right in assuming that Tom from Skabartawe is a WIndcraft man?

Just tried the Windcraft mpc and it definately makes the sax sound louder and the tone appears better (?). Am using a Gonzalez 2.5 reed. Is that recommended for a novice? Also I have my top teeth on the mouthpiece. Is that correct? Also - don't laugh - what is the best way to pick up a sax! I never pick it up by the neck!!!

Just want to get set up properly and with good habits!

Hi All

Just bought off a pal a Stag 77st Tenor Sax with hard case for £112. Will use them both as a novice! Nothing like jumping in at the deep end!! Is that a good deal? Is the Stagg 77 a good tenor sax? Is it a good deal? I was helping him out![h=1][/h]

Just tried the Windcraft mpc and it definately makes the sax sound louder and the tone appears better (?). Am using a Gonzalez 2.5 reed. Is that recommended for a novice? Also I have my top teeth on the mouthpiece. Is that correct? Also - don't laugh - what is the best way to pick up a sax! I never pick it up by the neck!!!

Just want to get set up properly and with good habits!

Prof,top teeth gently resting on top is fine, try to avoid biting though, a mouthpiece patch may help if you decide to sell mouth pieces on because you don't get on with them, they won't be marked and still worth top cash !

'Maori Try' the bane of Mr Holmes and the English Rugby team...

Back
Top Bottom