All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs New mouthpieces

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Subscriber
While fully agreeing with the sentiments expressed by Fraser here:

Wise words...

I've rather gone and spoiled things by picking up two new mouthpieces :)

I've been using a Yamaha 4C on my Jericho tenor, but thought I'd have a go at a couple of cheapies recommended by Fraser and Colin elsewhere, a Rico Metalite M5 and a Chinese metal jobbie from ebay.

The Chinese mp is a number 7 - not sure how that compares to other makes, but it takes a lot more huff to get a sound out of it than the 4C. That's not a problem though, and the sound that comes out is much louder and brighter. I like it, and I like the fact that I feel that I have to work a bit harder to make it sound ok - gives me a push to the next level, and I'm sure that with a bit of practice I'll get more comfortable with it. Well worth the £26 it cost.

The Rico M5 feels slightly easier to blow than the Chinese mp, but is also brighter and louder than the Yamaha. I can get a bit darker with this one than the Chinese. Again, I like it (apart from the dull grey look, it looks 'orrible!), and it's well worth the £27 I paid.

The reason I tried these is that I have an issue with the Yamaha closing up when I give it some welly...I've not yet managed to close either of these yet.

Taking both to band practice tonight, let's see how they do.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Sounds like you're having fun experimenting

I bought a Rico metalite M7 but all I get is a thin, stuffy sound. I've not experimented with reed strengths on it, but I suspect I'm better suited to my wider lay Claude Lakey

Sounds like you're also getting better suited to a wider lay too, but if you wanted to make the 4c work for you perhaps going up in reed strength would do it

allansto

timbo
I tried the rico metalite 5 and hated it I hope it works out for you.
Regards
allansto

TimboSax

Subscriber
Sounds like you're having fun experimenting

I bought a Rico metalite M7 but all I get is a thin, stuffy sound. I've not experimented with reed strengths on it, but I suspect I'm better suited to my wider lay Claude Lakey

Sounds like you're also getting better suited to a wider lay too, but if you wanted to make the 4c work for you perhaps going up in reed strength would do it
Good idea. I assume the idea that it would be harder for me to close the 4C with a stiffer reed?

timbo
I tried the rico metalite 5 and hated it I hope it works out for you.
Regards
allansto
Seems to be so far (other than the look...I know, I'm shallow). What did you not like about it?

old git

Tremendous Bore
Guess we've all been there and believe that a new mouthpiece could be a shortcut to sounding like your sax hero. Well it aint but I do believe that the majority of mouthpieces supplied with most saxes are too small. First chance, bought the trusty Yamaha Plastic but a 6C. Since then used a VanDoren T75, an RPC 105 and Pete's wonderful PPT 9*. Not really sure if they sounded different but they all were remarkably easy to play and enjoyed.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Guess we've all been there and believe that a new mouthpiece could be a shortcut to sounding like your sax hero. Well it aint but I do believe that the majority of mouthpieces supplied with most saxes are too small. First chance, bought the trusty Yamaha Plastic but a 6C. Since then used a VanDoren T75, an RPC 105 and Pete's wonderful PPT 9*. Not really sure if they sounded different but they all were remarkably easy to play and enjoyed.
I understand classical sax players might choose a narrower lay with a stiffer reed

TimboSax

Subscriber
Well, I don't have a favourite sax player, so right now I'm going for the easy to play (ie no closing up when I give it some). Hopefully the larger mouthpieces will give me that, and then I'll start worrying about tone after I can play something ;}

Colin the Bear

The sort of stuff you've posted music/playing wise will suit the metalite in my opinion.

Sticking a stiffer reed on the Yam4c will give you a sweeter purer sound more suited to a big band horn section or orchestra.

The metalite is what can only be described as loud and raucous, which will go well with the ska and beat style for a solo tenor in a guitar and drum band.

The Chinese metal mouthpieces come in such a range of quality and styles ( see the thread "Chinese mouthpiece") that it's hard to say what lay it is but probably comparable to the Rico 7 or a link 7.

http://www.saxophon-service.de/homep/mundverg/vergl-ts.html

So probably around the 100 105 mark where the Rico comes in at 95. If you stick a picture of it including the box it will help to identify it.

The wider lay will probably be easier with a slightly softer reed till you adapt to it. Changing between the two, before you master either of them will be confusing.

I'd stick with the metalite for a while till you master it and are ready to move on.

Don't fall into the trap of bigger lay and harder reed = better sound.

Your chops and playing style when fully developed will suit a certain set up, finding that, whatever it turns out to be, is the trick.

I'm currently enjoying a vintage Lelandais piece but keep a metalite M7 in my box with an S80 for special occasions

TimboSax

Subscriber
Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

Generally the larger the tip opening the louder the sound as more air can be pushed though the mouthpiece. A smaller tip and stiffer reed is more suited to classical music as it produces a quieter, more precise and less characterful sound. Jazz, rock blues etc. are better suited to larger tip openings and softer reeds precisely for the opposite reason, louder, more characterful, more flexible sound.

From the following chart: http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.tenorsax.html we can see that the Yam 4C is 0.067", the Rico is 0.095" and the Chinese 7 is likely to be about 0.105". Given that then mouthpieces in the 0.090" - 0.100" are probably going to be a better size for you. When I started on Tenor I had a Yani HR6 (0.085") quickly changed to a Vandoren Java T55 (0.098") which was a better fit. I now play size 8 mouthpieces (0.110" - 0.115"), which certainly have the volume when required.

I have a Rico Royal C7 which is a good cheapie (prefer it to the Metalite). :thumb:

allansto

gee Tom youre a wealth of information .....bless your socks mate.....Allansto

timbosax...... quote
Seems to be so far (other than the look...I know, I'm shallow). What did you not like about it?

well It was really stuffy and wasnt an easy play for me at the time I had only been playing for a few months.
But i still wouldnt try one again. thats me.
regards
Allansto

Colin the Bear

The link works for me. It's one of those high baffle slide on ligature jobbies. I've been looking at those and wondering. I've not had my hands on one of those. I can't see it sounding much different to the metalite with both having such a similar high baffle.

The only difference would be the lay and the look. If all is going well with the metalite M5 I'd stick with it for a while, and grin and bear the looks. A couple of coats of gold nail varnish should make it prettier.(joke)

Edit. Just noticed the link you posted has an option for different baffles. Which one did you get?

Last edited by a moderator:

TimboSax

Subscriber
I got the size 7 mouthpiece (is that the baffle you mention?), it does sound similar to the Rico (after playing either of them, my Yamaha sounds very muffled), but I can make the Rico sound darker as well, whereas the Chinese mp stays pretty much full on bright all the time and requires a bit more puff.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom