support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces New Mouthpiece

TheOkayPlayer

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. To get a gauge for my level, I've been playing alto sax for 2 years. I like jazz, and I'm in a regional jazz band. I don't want to brag or anything but I think I'm pretty good, since I'm the best player at school.

Anyways I'm wondering if I should get a jazz mouthpiece. If so, I want some recommendations. i understand that it is a personal choice, but i don't want to go around looking for the perfect moutpiece. I just want a mouthpiece that is an upgrade to the one I have now, so I can create a more jazz style sound.

My setup at the moment is a selmer D mouthpiece with JAVA green cut 2.5 reeds.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome.

Which model Selmer D? D is only the tip size.

What don't you like about it? Selmer make pretty good mouthpieces.

Standard jazz mouthpiece for alto is Meyer. But there are many copies which can be better, the new D'Addario is really good - if it suits you.

Jazz is what you play, not what you play it on. You can play jazz on a comb and paper.

http://youtu.be/PfLs-jREjpk

You may need more volume in a band setting, You may need a brighter sound to cut through. You may need a darker sound to blend in.

You can do a lot to shape the sound with your oral cavity and throat.

The S80 is a fine mouthpiece, loved by many and still sold after 30+ years. Having said that, not everybody likes it.

The only way to find something you may prefer is by trial and error.

If there's a shop near to you , have a word and sort out a trip to try what they have.

If there's nothing near, another way is to buy on ebay or such like and sell them on till you find the one.

It's a mine field and expensive.

If you let it be known in the circles that you play in, that you're looking for something, band mates, teachers etc may have something to sell that you can try.

Enjoy the S80 for now and keep an ear to the ground to see what turns up.

I stayed with the stock mpc that came with my Stagg alto sax for over 12months, you have a good mpc stick with it and if anything try different reeds it's cheaper.
In 4yrs i've had 2mpcs the stagg original and my present one Ponzol, i've tried a few mpcs but numerous reeds until i stayed with vandoren jazz.
My advice stick with the Selmer try different reeds

It's a subject that seems to surface on a regular basis, as far as Jazz is concerned do you take the lead or do you want to blend? I confess to using 2 different mouthpieces, a Selmer Soloist for concert band (which is definately not jazz) and a Pillinger NYT for most everything else, both of these when bought were taken into my music room and recorded on to Audacity and replayed over and over again to make sure I wasn't kidding myself over the sound. It's a tricky question, listen to Colin, try as many as you can, 2 years doesn't appear long but it sounds as if you are performing on a regular basis which IMHO is some of the best practice you can get, you will know when you find it, and you might be surprised! Good luck.

Thank you for all your responses! And yes, I have only been playing for two years, but I practice a lot and work hard. Also, I'm not really looking for that perfect jazz sound. I just want something that I can work on to create a better sound. I think I'm just going to try some mouthpieces at a music store, and see if I can make a better sound. If I don't, I'll stick with the S80.

Thanks again for the responses!

I`d say that 2 years is more than long enough to decide to swap mouthpiece if necessary - certainly if it was a narrow gap one which restricts articulation and tonal control .

I only added Alto a year ago and it`d have driven me nuts to be stuck with a Bari Esprit , 4C or C* for even that length of time, it`d have ruined the enjoyment of playing - but then I`ve never had a teacher (ever - don`t even know there were official sax tutors in the early 80s apart from old blues guys passing on what they know) ..

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom