support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Richard10002

Locality
Manchester
Hi,

Played clarinet at school, 30+ years ago, have tried guitar and piano without much success. Always liked the sax sound, so bought a Yamaha YAS-25 mid August. Can play a few scales, and manage a chromatic, but the top and bottom notes are difficult. Looking to find a teacher, and will probably get some advice on having the sax serviced.
want to be able to play the solo from Baker Street, Careless Whisper, Take 5, and Harry Connicks version of A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square - anyone know if you can get the sheet music for this version! I think Branford Marsalis played it.

Enough for now... Probably soaking up the info, rather than posting much for now, but I'm sure the questions will come.

Cheers for now,

Richard

Welcome to the caff©, Richard.

Don't worry, most of us use our convict numbers to identify us.>:)

ENJOY!​™

Welcome to the cafe Richard:)

Lots to soak up on here.

Jx

big welcome from me as well. Have fun. If you can't find the sheet music, commission a transcription from Curtis Swift at Saxsolos.com.

Hi Richard and welcome to the cafe. Nice to see you have an interest in the Maschwitz/Sherwins classic A.N.S.I.B.S. for some reason the the song and lyrics always attributed to Cole Porter when in fact it was a Birmingham boy who wrote them (Maschwitz)
Brilliant considering his location it wouldn't have sounded the same with a title like `A nightingale sang in the bull Ring` :) Best regards N.

Welcome to the cafe Richard :)

Enjoy

Welcome Richard, I'm sure you'll find much to inform, instruct and entertain you here!

Another northerner. I'll be round for the subs shortly.
Folding money please.
Welcome from Ilkley Richard

big welcome from me as well. Have fun. If you can't find the sheet music, commission a transcription from Curtis Swift at Saxsolos.com.

Is there a way of estimating what he might charge. Or do you send him the piece and he quotes for it?

Thanks,

Richard

BTW Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

I've been playing now for only a month and I said to a friend the other day:

"I can't believe I'm concerned that I'm having trouble getting my head around Dave Brubecks Take Five. After a month on the clarinet, 30 odd years ago, I was merely having trouble with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star!"

Is there a way of estimating what he might charge. Or do you send him the piece and he quotes for it?

Thanks,

Richard

His prices are on his site. It's very reasonable. And many here speak highly of his transcriptions. Take a look...

His prices are on his site. It's very reasonable. And many here speak highly of his transcriptions. Take a look...

Ventured onto the site. Prices for existing music are on site, but you have to send him the piece to get a quote for a new transcription. I've sent it, so am just awaiting a reply.

I have a copy of his transcription of Take Five - its pretty much note for note, as far as I can tell - although I'm no expert.

sorry, there used to be a price per page of transcription, wasn't too high, he must have changed things.

sorry, there used to be a price per page of transcription, wasn't too high, he must have changed things.

$40 for the transcription. It's a 5 minute song, with bits of sax all the way through, including a 1 minute solo in the middle. I'm not sure if this is a lot, or not much. I guess it will take a while to produce if he does it by ear.

$40 for the transcription. It's a 5 minute song, with bits of sax all the way through, including a 1 minute solo in the middle. I'm not sure if this is a lot, or not much. I guess it will take a while to produce if he does it by ear.

Ordered, paid, and in the queue - don't know how long the queue is, so I guess it'll arrive when it arrives, and I should be a better player as every day goes by :)

Will I upload it for a critique when I get to grips with it? :)

Thanks for the help and info.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom